Can anyone tell me how to record a riff then, record a solo over top of it, how do i record and mix the two, what sort of computer program do i need? I have a recorder i just dont know how to mix them together, can anyone help me out?
A free program is Audacity, I'm sure there is better but that is the one I know off the top of my head. What I do is, record the backing track and have it panned all the way to the right, and then copy it and pan it all the way to the left so you have stereo. Then record the solo and just put it in the middle.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
Quote by butterfingers30
A free program is Audacity, I'm sure there is better but that is the one I know off the top of my head. What I do is, record the backing track and have it panned all the way to the right, and then copy it and pan it all the way to the left so you have stereo. Then record the solo and just put it in the middle.
Please tell me you're joking!

Firstly, Audacity hasa latency issue where each new track recorded is delayed against the previous one so is horrid for double-tracking/overdubbing and general tracking.

Secondly, you aren't gettinga 'full stereo' effect because you aren't recording two different sources/takes, you're just copy-pasting which when panned that way just makes the tracks twice as loud (3dB).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Please tell me you're joking!

Firstly, Audacity hasa latency issue where each new track recorded is delayed against the previous one so is horrid for double-tracking/overdubbing and general tracking.

Secondly, you aren't gettinga 'full stereo' effect because you aren't recording two different sources/takes, you're just copy-pasting which when panned that way just makes the tracks twice as loud (3dB).
LMAO!

copy paste the backing track and pan it for stereo.

lol. sounds like something I'd say I do.

.. except I would be kidding..
I tried Audacity a while back and yeah, it sucked. I mean, if you want something really, really basic to get started out and just record one rhythm section and jam over that it works alright, but trying to add more than one layer tends to get kinda messy, IMO. If you have the cash ((I paid $150 or so)) I would spring for a BOSS RC-2 Loop Station Pedal. I just got one a couple of weeks ago and I am really impressed. It makes overdubbing really simple and has about 30 different drum tracks to play along with and some other cool features. It makes playing by yourself like 10X more fun (pretty much musical masturbation). Check em out on YouTube because they are definitely worth it.
Last edited by gnarcaster at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by TechnicolorType
LMAO!

copy paste the backing track and pan it for stereo.

lol. sounds like something I'd say I do.

.. except I would be kidding..

Haha could be worse, the Songbird recording I posted in that thread where the guy thought Ubuntu and a few hundred dollars of equipment was the best 'free' set-up was from not long after the time I used to select 'stereo' tracks when just using a single, mono mic, thinking it meant it would mix the whole song in mono if I didn't make all tracks stereo Then again, at that time I hadn't been online once to even look at how to actually record things, I taught myself from scratch when I saw someone mention Audacity in a guitar magazine! And I don't think I would have tried to give advice on a forum when I knew I knew so little hehe.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Haha could be worse, the Songbird recording I posted in that thread where the guy thought Ubuntu and a few hundred dollars of equipment was the best 'free' set-up was from not long after the time I used to select 'stereo' tracks when just using a single, mono mic, thinking it meant it would mix the whole song in mono if I didn't make all tracks stereo Then again, at that time I hadn't been online once to even look at how to actually record things, I taught myself from scratch when I saw someone mention Audacity in a guitar magazine! And I don't think I would have tried to give advice on a forum when I knew I knew so little hehe.
haha. yeah. I don't think that guy ever replied again either. ;D
we've all been there