Been playing for over 3 years, and I've noticed that I tend to gravitate towards playing lead. In my band I have to do both, but that's neither here nor there.

Question is, does anyone find themselves better at lead than good rythym? In other words, able to play fast, accurate, crazy licks, but kinda weak on chord progressions, strumming patterns, etc.

It seems to be the general opinion that if you're good at lead, you must by default be good at rythym, but such is not the case with me. Just looking for other's input...
often it's not about the playing, but about the writing stuff
but my lead playing is worse
I've met those kinds of players. August Burns Red is a good example. Brent is a great rhythm player, can play complex breakdowns behind a drum pattern written in a different time signature, where as J.B. plays more of the leads over it (Marianas Trench for example)

In my own regard, I'm a much stronger songwriter then lead player, but I have been playing metal for a few years, so the fast and accurate has come on it's own, but I started off by doing songwriting and rhythm.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
My dad has the same problem as you he has been playing a lot of acoustic songs lately and it's helped a little
Quote by MattAnderson111
I've met those kinds of players. August Burns Red is a good example. Brent is a great rhythm player, can play complex breakdowns behind a drum pattern written in a different time signature, where as J.B. plays more of the leads over it (Marianas Trench for example)

In my own regard, I'm a much stronger songwriter then lead player, but I have been playing metal for a few years, so the fast and accurate has come on it's own, but I started off by doing songwriting and rhythm.

Agreed, in some cases sometimes the rhythm player is even better than the lead player, but that's rare of course. :P
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
It depends on the style of music for me. I'm lead, but I generally do better than our rhythm player unless he comes up with a weird strumming pattern or uses chords I'm not familiar with.

edit: I play metal, so I'm a lot better at fast/technical stuff, whereas the rhythm guitarist plays acoustic stuff with lots of chord changes. Interesting mix when we write together, I must say.
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Last edited by *kill'emall* at Mar 24, 2011,
Lots of lead players I've met and played with struggle sometimes with rhythm playing. They're two totally different apporaches to playing so swapping between the two requires a complete switch in style, which is quite a trick even for the best players.

I've always been much stronger as a rhythm player and as a songwriter, it's my bread and butter. I think one of the best ways to build your rhythm chops is to practice on an acoustic. Beacuse rhythm generally requires more wrist and hand strength rather than finger speed and agility, playing acoustic can really help you build that strength.
I find that the best lead players are also killer rhythm players. People don't often think about the rhythm of a lead part enough so those that do tend to be good at both.

Really you should be good at both if you want to call yourself a well rounded player though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I consider good rhythm technique to be the foundation for good lead technique. If you don't have those chords and progressions down, are your leads going to be as wild and awesome as they could be? If your timing isn't good, are your melodies really going to groove as well as they could?

Good rhythm players may not be the best lead players, but the best lead players are likely good rhythm players as well.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I find that the best lead players are also killer rhythm players. People don't often think about the rhythm of a lead part enough so those that do tend to be good at both.

Really you should be good at both if you want to call yourself a well rounded player though.

I agree with what was said here. Great lead players also tend to be excellent rhythm players. Of course "great" is subjective and who I consider to be great may not be the same as you, but I still feel that in order to be a great lead player you gotta have rhythm playing down. It's not just suggested, in my opinion, but essential. I started as a solid lead player and had to work harder on getting my rhythm parts down than the lead parts. But it was worth it as I feel I'm a better overall player due to my efforts to understand both styles.

- Justin
An open mind never knows too much.
i dont really see why there needs to be a distinction between the two. in most cases, lead players are playing rhythm 90-95% of the time anyway. its rare to find a song where one guy is chuggin away on chords where the other guy is soloing throughout. we're all just guitar players, whether "lead" or "rhythm", it doesnt really matter.

but on to your question, i think there can be a disconnect between them. a lot of techniques utilized in lead playing are not used as much for rhythm playing, ie. speed picking, sweeping, vibrato, bends, whammy bar stuff, etc. so i think if someone focuses too much on those aspects, then there overall playing will suffer.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
A good ´Lead´ player is also a good ´Rhythm´ player.
You really have to find a balance between the two.
When you are playing a solo it´s a lot better to exactly know what kind of rhythm is going on and you can ´relate´ to it instead of bursting out a lot of notes.

So it´s about the ´Balance´.
And some people just like playing rhythm only.