Page 1 of 3
get an intimate bond with your guitar or amp if you don't spend time with it. What I mean is the other day, I met a dude on craigslist to jam with, he had been playing for 2 yrs and had like 4 amps and 6 guitars. How in the hell can you get to know the instruments your playing if you have so much gear. Not to mention, him playing only 2 yrs, wasnt that great anyway. He should be focusing on his playing. No matter how much nice gear he buys, until he learns to play, he is not gonna sound that greaat anyway. He has some serious G.A.S issues, lol.

Me, it is soooo hard to find an amp or especially a guitar that I want. When I buy something, I dont want it to sit. I dont want to buy things just to have, I want them to be worthwhile.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
IMO guitars are not much different from harmonicas.

they all sound different and each has its purpose.

plus sometimes you just want shit. I know I do.
People approach things in different ways. As such, one person might value their things more than another or wish to develop a "bond" with it.

Personally, I view instruments as a tool and can't think of a single piece of gear I own that I would feel bad about selling.

Even my R8 is easily replaced.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by madh4ttr
get an intimate bond with your guitar or amp if you don't spend time with it. What I mean is the other day, I met a dude on craigslist to jam with, he had been playing for 2 yrs and had like 4 amps and 6 guitars. How in the hell can you get to know the instruments your playing if you have so much gear. Not to mention, him playing only 2 yrs, wasnt that great anyway. He should be focusing on his playing. No matter how much nice gear he buys, until he learns to play, he is not gonna sound that greaat anyway. He has some serious G.A.S issues, lol.

Me, it is soooo hard to find an amp or especially a guitar that I want. When I buy something, I dont want it to sit. I dont want to buy things just to have, I want them to be worthwhile.

Cool Story Bro!

No, Really...

Cool Story Bro!
Quote by bubb_tubbs
People approach things in different ways. As such, one person might value their things more than another or wish to develop a "bond" with it.

Personally, I view instruments as a tool and can't think of a single piece of gear I own that I would feel bad about selling.

Even my R8 is easily replaced.

Same. I do have an emotional bond with a couple pieces of gear since they were given to me by my dad but anything else I'd sell no problem if I didn't want it/use it anymore.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
ya stories are good.

what do you mean intimate bond.

do you know the wood of your guitars? neck, fretboard, body.

whether they are chambered or not?

how much they weigh?

each of your fret radiuses?

action? nut height? string tension?

your pickup output? magnet type?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
If I had the money, I'd probably have a bunch of guitars and amps and I bet I'd play one guitar at least 50% of the time (amps I might switch a bit more). But it's about having the options available, plus I like owning pretty things.

The only reason I'd feel bad about selling bits of gear is because they sound great and are maybe kinda rare or expensive, I don't really have an emotional attachment to any gear.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Mar 24, 2011,
I have 5 amps and 3 guitars and have only been playing since August 2010, lolz.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If my amp had a vagina I'd totally do her

She does look the dirty type.

I get attached to guitars. Not really to anything else
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I would take more guitars if someone gave them to me... but I'm happy with my 2 electrics and 1 acoustic and 1 amp.
---
I think its understandable to want a variety of quality gear, but what gets me are the clowns who own 10 cheap/mediocre guitars and one or two cheap-ass amps.
Quote by cakeypower
I think its understandable to want a variety of quality gear, but what gets me are the clowns who own 10 cheap/mediocre guitars and one or two cheap-ass amps.

So half the forum?

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya stories are good.

what do you mean intimate bond.

do you know the wood of your guitars? neck, fretboard, body.

whether they are chambered or not?

how much they weigh?

each of your fret radiuses?

action? nut height? string tension?

your pickup output? magnet type?

I guess what I mean by that is if you are so quick to change your guitar and/or amp, you will never fully understand what its full potential. I dont fault anyone for owning a bunch of gear but if you dont give your rig a chance, you will never get the full capabilties out of it by changing pieces in it.........................

of course, having many guitars and amps are tools for different tones, etc. BUT, it seems that if you havent been playing but a little while, it really doesnt help you if you cant play worth a shit. No matter which amp or guitar you play, you are gonna sound basically the same, like shit. Guess I have a different view than alot of people on here
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Mar 24, 2011,
Lots of people like to chase tone or are simply searching for that perfect match. Honestly, if you can't figure out if you like a certain piece of gear within say a month or less than you have a problem. There is nothing wrong with moving on.

I mean I get what you are saying about ability. For some (like me) it is all more of hobby. Something I've always wanted to learn and do. So if I am in a place in life where I can afford a $2,000 amp because it makes me happy than who cares? Some people cringe at the fact that I play a $280 Schecter C1 into a Splawn Quick Rod and I'm not really that good of a guitar player. But I don't care because it makes me happy and I enjoy the tone I get and trying to learn new songs/riffs.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by madh4ttr
I guess what I mean by that is if you are so quick to change your guitar and/or amp, you will never fully understand what its full potential. I dont fault anyone for owning a bunch of gear but if you dont give your rig a chance, you will never get the full capabilties out of it by changing pieces in it.........................

of course, having many guitars and amps are tools for different tones, etc. BUT, it seems that if you havent been playing but a little while, it really doesnt help you if you cant play worth a shit. No matter which amp or guitar you play, you are gonna sound basically the same, like shit. Guess I have a different view than alot of people on here

Length of time playing is not an indicator of how good you are. I've been playing for 3 years and I'm better then most people around here I've played with. I know a guy who's been playing for 20 years and I can out play him. It's about how much time you put in to practicing and how much time you spend working on technique, etc.
Just because you have a lot of gear doesn't mean you don't know it all to it's full potential or care about it. People have a lot of different gear for a lot of different tones. Some people buy cheaper guitars to use as a back-up for gig. Doesn't mean they don't have an attachment to it.
Quote by madh4ttr

I've only been playing for about 2 years now...i've got 6 guitars and 3 or 4 amps at any given time.

I can safely say that I know more about my gear then most people that have been playing for a lot longer on the same rig.

Also, my gear isn't gonna get worse as I get better now is it.
ya know, i dont really dont care if you know more about gear. that doesnt impress me a bit. that is my whole point. who cares if you have a les paul that you put some semour duncuns in and made them coil tapping and a new bone nut blah blah blah. what are you gonna do with that modded guitar, can you play or just talk about what youve done to it.

i have been playing 30+ yrs, enjoy the simple pieces of gear. I have 2 guitars, a stock gibson les paul standard and a gibson explorer, stock. love those guitars. i have 2 amps, a bugera 6262 half stack and a marshall combo, all stock and love them. the saying is true, less is more. concentrate on your ability and less on your "talking like you know"

EDIT: never said length of time had anything to do with playing abiltiy BUT, if you spend all your time playing with "gear", then.......................................
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Mar 24, 2011,
i have 1 amp and 5 guitars and ive been playing 5 or so years. of my guitars though, only 2 are playable currently

my acoustic is at my school for guitar class
my first guitar (some crap ibanez gio) has a broken input jack and liek 3cm action
my flying v has no electronics in it currently.

so that leaves my telecaster and my godin to go with my amp.
Quote by darkwolf291
Let's go!
Drive down from RI and fight me!
Bring some amps so we can jam though

can't gotta finish building this dumble.

Quote by madh4ttr
ya know, i dont really dont care if you know more about gear. that doesnt impress me a bit. that is my whole point. who cares if you have a les paul that you put some semour duncuns in and made them coil tapping and a new bone nut blah blah blah. what are you gonna do with that modded guitar, can you play or just talk about what youve done to it.

i have been playing 30+ yrs, enjoy the simple pieces of gear. I have 2 guitars, a stock gibson les paul standard and a gibson explorer, stock. love those guitars. i have 2 amps, a bugera 6262 half stack and a marshall combo, all stock and love them. the saying is true, less is more. concentrate on your ability and less on your "talking like you know"

EDIT: never said length of time had anything to do with playing abiltiy BUT, if you spend all your time playing with "gear", then.......................................

you like building amps? you like repairing gear? not everyone wants to be a rockstar.

I mean you're a big boy. If you wanted better gear in the 30+ years you've been alive I'm sure you would have been able to save up for it.

A 6262 half stack is what 700 new? So divided by 30 years thats 23 dollars a year.

Well if you can save 60 dollars a year...you could have any amp you wanted.
Quote by AcousticMirror
can't gotta finish building this dumble.

you like building amps? you like repairing gear? not everyone wants to be a rockstar.

I mean you're a big boy. If you wanted better gear in the 30+ years you've been alive I'm sure you would have been able to save up for it.

A 6262 half stack is what 700 new? So divided by 30 years thats 23 dollars a year.

Well if you can save 60 dollars a year...you could have any amp you wanted.

your a funny guy, and your right, if i wanted better gear, id have it. I get the sound and tones i want from the gear i have. Dont need to "chase" my tone like so many that waste money because they dont know what they want like....you
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
If you buy used, you lose no money. No wasted money, just time. Some people enjoy being able to get the tone of a strat one song, and a Les Paul the next.
Having a lot of gear opens up new possibilities tonally and musically. It leads to being more creative since you have more to work with.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by madh4ttr

Wouldn't changing and modifying your guitar make it more personal to you? And make you more attached to it? Wasn't your original question "how people can be attached to guitars when they have so many?"

And having better gear inspires you to want to play better. Playing though an MG doesn't make me want to play more. Being frustrated because I can't get the tone in my head doesn't make me want to play. But having the tone I want allows me to focus just on the music and my playing. So really, having better gear can make you a better player.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by madh4ttr
your a funny guy, and your right, if i wanted better gear, id have it. I get the sound and tones i want from the gear i have. Dont need to "chase" my tone like so many that waste money because they dont know what they want like....you

actually i build amps...seeing as they sound exactly how I want them too that seems like a silly statement doesn't it.
Learning about the gear is half of the hobby for me. If I hadn't started with that I probably wouldn't be going to school to be an EE next year.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
There is no response to that.
Quote by Nelsean
The world needs more buttmonkeys.

Quote by Eddie4President
The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
Quote by StewieSwan
Good. The world needs more of you.
i love old people that think their opinions are fact. lololololol.

not everyone is you. ok we get it, you are old and get all your tone from a couple little pieces of gear and it makes you feel great about yourself. yippy. now you are going to have to grow up (lulz) and realize that everyone is different. everyone takes different journeys in life. are you saying that people should only work one job their whole lives? maybe i shouldn't have gone to college to study music, maybe i should have kept working at my local grocery story for 7.50 an hour for the rest of my life. i could get really attached to it, right? -__-
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
7.50? Our liquor servers almost make that much.

hahaha. $7.25 is minimum wage here.
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I get attached to my stuff. Not all of it just the special stuff. Special to me. 4 years 4 amps 2 acoustic guitars 6 electric guitars 3 pedals. But my rig doesnt show signs of changing now from a elect 1 acoust 1 amp and 3 pedals. I'm satisfied for now.

Till I starts G.A.S.ing for a G&L Comanche again.
Quote by madh4ttr
I have 2 guitars, a stock gibson les paul standard and a gibson explorer, stock. love those guitars. i have 2 amps, a bugera 6262 half stack and a marshall combo, all stock and love them.

So......

you have 2 guitars and 2 amps

*looks up threads by madh4ttr*
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=6720663

Here is a summary of of some of your threads:

Bugera BC30 - 'I'm thinking of getting one, what do you think' thread
FS Bugera 6262 - 'I want to downsize'
Line 6 vs Digitech - 'which MFX is best'
24 3/4 Scale vs 25 1/2 Scale - 'which do you like best?'
Weber Mass vs Hotplate
Keeley Mod vs Analgman mod
6 band EQ vs 10 band
Speaker Decisions

etc etc

So, IMO - you are just like us. I really don't get your point.
Quote by AcousticMirror
well when you don't know what you want you make a lot of versus threads.

i've never "/thread"ed before, but....

/thread

that was just the best pwn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Lots of people like to chase tone or are simply searching for that perfect match. Honestly, if you can't figure out if you like a certain piece of gear within say a month or less than you have a problem. There is nothing wrong with moving on.

I mean I get what you are saying about ability. For some (like me) it is all more of hobby. Something I've always wanted to learn and do. So if I am in a place in life where I can afford a $2,000 amp because it makes me happy than who cares? Some people cringe at the fact that I play a $280 Schecter C1 into a Splawn Quick Rod and I'm not really that good of a guitar player. But I don't care because it makes me happy and I enjoy the tone I get and trying to learn new songs/riffs.

or you are like me and just buy everything that is a deal you can profit on, keep what you like, sell what you don't.

i have been playing about 8 years, at one point was up to 36+ guitars, and four cheaper half stacks.

now i have about 18 guitars most of them nicer, a few highend amps, and a pedal board for everything else.

i buy at least four or five things a week and sell just that many sometimes less, somtimes more. i have what things i keep and use more than others and not sell, but other than that if i can make a good buck its gone, then i find another one of that model if i miss it, and decide it is worth keeping the second time around.

i have so much stuff that doesn't make it to N_D's simply because they come and go so fast.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'll tell you why I have more than one guitar, one amp, and 50 some odd pedals...

I have one wife.
Page 1 of 3