I'm starting to get pretty interested with 8 strings and the extended range one could achieve with one, however, I've never owned an ERG guitar, and it would most likely be a "blind" buy. I may be able to get one in a store (Anyone in Canada could help me more), but it would only maybe be used for metal. I'm thinking of playing some kind of post-rock, ala Russian Circles. I would be going from 6 to 8 strings.

I have bought blind without knowing the intention of the instrument twice. Once with a mandolin (complete purchase-of-the-moment without any research) and a cello which I also thought was cool, but my interest has tapered off slightly. I'm in the "middle of nowhere", and all anyone really likes, or wants to play is some form of metal (my friend plays piano but he's one of those crazy ones that can play 6 parts at a time, so why need a cello.

I would be experimenting mainly by myself with it, but I am part of a band, but theres already another guitarist who plays in drop D, and I'm the new guy in the band.

Also, I'm not sure my little 30watt Traynor could handle the "br00tz" of 8 strings?

tl;dr: Wanting an 8 string. Not sure if worth it. Bought other instruments without needing them, now I'm meh about them. Can my 30 watt traynor handle it? Buy an 8 string just to piss around with? Kind of thinking out-loud to the interwebs.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
5 STRING CELLO FµCK YEAH!

This is not relevant to your post, but I had to say it. I played cello myself for a while , but then I broke my bow and by the time I got a new one, the setup got all screwed up, so the fingerboard needs resanded so I just havent gotten around to getting it done. Its been sitting in an attic for 2 years, so by now its probably super messed up.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
i myself have a 7 string guitar. going from a 6 string to a 7s was pretty odd at first but you get used to it. i suppose it would be the same for a 8s. id make sure you actually need this and not just want it. but its all about prefrence. even though i love my 7s it has drawbacks because of the extra strings such as a wider neck. the extra string also does make some chords harder but with enough practice you can get by that.

in short. if you think you will need it. get it.
is your amp a combo or a head?
if its a head yes it can
if its a combo- i wouldnt risk it.
unless its tube. then you maybe be ok
(im not familier with your brand)
Quote by blazex1214
i myself have a 7 string guitar. going from a 6 string to a 7s was pretty odd at first but you get used to it. i suppose it would be the same for a 8s. id make sure you actually need this and not just want it. but its all about prefrence. even though i love my 7s it has drawbacks because of the extra strings such as a wider neck. the extra string also does make some chords harder but with enough practice you can get by that.

in short. if you think you will need it. get it.
is your amp a combo or a head?
if its a head yes it can
if its a combo- i wouldnt risk it.

unless its tube. then you maybe be ok
(im not familier with your brand)

What? How the hell does it being a head or a combo affect it whatsoever?
I'd say wait for another 6 months. If you still want it, get it. I bought a 7 string on a whim, played it a total of 10 hours in 2 years and sold it last month.
Simply put, whether it's in drop D or not, you can fiddle with tunings at will so it fits your working context. Personally, I play the 8's dropped to E to facilitate chordal work, or with a high A as opposed to the customary low F#, and in a drop D based band, I'd probably either tune it A-D-G-F-A-D-G (low to high), but that's just me, to be frank.

A thing to consider even before you think about shelling out the money is this: are you willing to experiment and adapt, and to understand that frustrations may come along the process? If you're willing to invest the time, effort and creativity, ERG's are a canvas waiting for you, but if you tend to be easily demoralized just because you're not taking full advantage of the extra range after a very short period of time, I'd think it through in your place.

I'm basically a 7 and 8 string guitarist full time, and that was an option I made a long time ago - just think what your choice is and trust your ability to evolve and gut feeling if you decide to buy it.

EDIT: combos don't suffer any more from the low frequencies on an 8-string than anything else. The effect is non-existent regarding tube life and the worse that can happen is a bit of mush unless you go for completely uncalled for, extreme settings.
Last edited by Fred the Shred at Mar 25, 2011,
I'd like to think I have the creativity for an 8 string. My buddy, as said, plays the piano so I'd may be able to make some cool counter-melodies, basslines, etc., as he plays the melody riffs. I dont really have a reason to get one though. Its not like I've been asked to join a band who needs someone to play an 8 string, or the band will fall apart. I'd have to motivate myself, and I'm not sure how that'd go.

Also, I'm thinking I'd need an amp upgrade. Theres a Peavy Valve King 112 in my shop, but I'm thinking that wouldnt quite cut it for an 8.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame