Page 1 of 2
whats your opinion or thought about this? ill give you guys an example. i can down pick master of puppets faster than the studio, but if i alternate pick, i miss every note and i cant do it worth shit, unless i go super super super fast like solo mode. then im accurate again. does this mean anything in regards to technique or is it natural for a lot of people.

you can also ask for more examples.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
it just means your new to guitar playing, and need to practice.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
im not new to guitar actually, i practice 3 hours everyday. and i dont drink coffee
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
i mean i do ive been getting better, but my fingers and my picking hand dont sync when i play slow.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
im not new to guitar actually, i practice 3 hours everyday. and i dont drink coffee

Caffeine exists beyond coffee ya know.

But seriously, I guess just get more comfortable with alternative picking. Find slower songs to play along with. That's the best advice I can give.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
i dont drink pop either =P, but i was just wonderin if you guys knew someone with the same thing, thats all. i know its not an issue, since i can downpick mostly everything, and i play thrash, and malmsteen,

just curious
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
i dont drink pop either =P, but i was just wonderin if you guys knew someone with the same thing, thats all. i know its not an issue, since i can downpick mostly everything, and i play thrash, and malmsteen,

just curious

Your solution: Try practicing alternate picking on slower music/songs.
Voila, your problem is solved.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Get a metronome and start with your alternate picking slow. Build up from there.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Id imagine this shows u were practicing wrong. Ur supposed to play EVERYTHING SLOW first, so u don't injure urself playing.
There's caffeine in most tea and energy drinks too... As well as small amounts in chocolate.
A main difference between punk and pop-punk is that pop-punk vocalists can sing.
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag

just curious

clips or it didnt happen.

all joking aside, just practice it slow and work your speed up.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
i do practice with a metronome and ive never injured myself, i have fairly good posture while playing and i do my mofo JP stretches before i play too.

i hate energy drinks and i only drink tea when im sick, and im not sick. hahahahaha

thanks for all the replies though!
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
I went through the same thing when I started playing. For the first 8 months I was able to play very quickly with just down picking (Lucky for me, I played mostly easy metal), and was able to alternate pick very very fast but not accurately. Playing slow was a definite challenge.

First thing's first: Stop down picking everything. Some things you CAN down pick exclusively, but once you become seasoned with alternate picking you'll find those songs to be few and far between.

Second: In order to play slow, you need to practice slow. I bet you can look at a tab for a metallica song, listen to the song, and play it back pretty quickly. While this is good, it limits you immensely. Practice songs you CAN'T learn in 15 minutes, and practice songs that don't have one speed: fast.

Third: Start working on playing other types of music; listen to some classic rock, blues, jazz, complicated and precise metal... anything that will expand your horizons. If you tell me that you only like one genre of music I really have to question why you're playing to begin with, so I hope that's not the case.

Fourth: Have patience! Being good at something will make you feel like you should be good at everything that's associated with is as well. With the guitar, this is not so. It will take a little bit of time to improve on your picking and playing slowly, but you will get the hang of it if you keep trying.

I also suggest finding a local guitar teacher that meets your needs. That'll help too

- Justin
An open mind never knows too much.
Last edited by Triklino at Mar 24, 2011,
What this likely means is that you actually can't play quickly, you just think you can.

Slow down, get your technique right and all that jazz and then speed up again.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
@trik: i already do economy and alternate picking exercises as well as practices

@zaphod, im accurate, i can hear every note and i also mute the unwanted strings with my hand. i do concentrate on technique whenever i play, fast or slow.

and what do you mean i just think i can?? because i hear notes not just a bunch of noise. if thats what your saying
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
I think your technique is liable to be terrible. You're likely to be quite tense which is why there's a massive gap in what you can do. If you were relaxed and accurate there would be no issue.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
@trik: i already do economy and alternate picking exercises as well as practices

But your problem is that you can't apply those practices/exercises to your every day playing? If that's the case, then just practice the songs slowly with a metronome and work your way up. If you do this already and it hasn't been working you may not be doing it correctly.

What I do whenever I'm practicing a song with a metronome, I practice it slowly for about 5-10 minutes. I then attempt to play the song, full-speed, for a couple tries and see how far I can get (if I can do it at all). This will tell me what trouble spots I need to work on. After the trouble spots are established, you work those up using your metronome, build some speed, and then give it another go full-speed. Sometimes you won't need to practice something slowly for more than 10-15 minutes to get it under your fingers. This works for me, but it may not work for you. Give it a shot! (this may sound silly to some, but I stand by it!)

Getting a private instructor would help immensely if you're doing everything we are telling you and achieving no results, as you may just need a personal touch to fix what's wrong. Hope you figure it out.

- Justin
Last edited by Triklino at Mar 24, 2011,
@zaphod how relaxed are you saying like not using a single muscle just your wrist or using partially forearm and wrist?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
@zaphod how relaxed are you saying like not using a single muscle just your wrist or using partially forearm and wrist?

He doesn't mean "don't use your muscles", he means relax your muscles. Make sure your hand's not rigid, mostly. Keep it loose.

- Justin
It's most likely that if you slowed down your fast playing, it would sound just as sloppy as your "slow playing".

Play Master of Puppets on your clean channel and check out what you sound like.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag

Good luck moving at all without using any muscles

I mean there should be no excess tension anywhere in your body; no more muscle contractions than the bare minimum needed to generate the force required for fretting and picking. Wrist only of course, I never advocate anything else.

Here's an idea: post a video of you playing your fast stuff (and the same thing slowly preferably) and we'll see what the community thinks, yes?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I'll step up to the plate and bet a house your "solo mode" is just spazzing and it's not accurate at all. This is totally normal because almost everyone does it before realising it's a total dead end.

You prolly need to take everything back to basics and learn to alternate pick, because you probably can't properly alt pick at all. That's I did.
+1 to everything Zaphod, Alan and Freepower have said.

Slow down until you can play whatever it is you want to play and then work your way up with a metronome. You want to be staying relaxed, picking from the wrist and using your elbow to position your hand over the desired strings.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
youll bet a house? well you owe me your house then, because i dont just spazz, i know what im doing i just have a hurdle to get over. Also, master sounds just as good.
house please?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
youll bet a house? well you owe me your house then, because i dont just spazz, i know what im doing i just have a hurdle to get over. Also, master sounds just as good.
house please?

If you're relaxed and accurate then this doesn't happen.

That's not some kind of washy generalisation based on nothing, that is a fact. If you actually have the skills to play fast and in time then you have the skills to play slowly and in time since the fast skills are based on and built from the slow skills.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
or your wrist muscle isnt used to moving fast, if it never does that motion (since ive downpicked) then i didnt build it up.

not that big of a deal. were fine now,
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
... so, you post a thread asking about your picking technique, pretty much everyone says "Hmmmm, you really need to work things up slow to fast - you're doing something wrong" - and things are fine now?

Your call bro.
Quote by Freepower
Your call bro.

+1, I give up.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
To be fair, I guess I didn't put myself across as well as I could, so let me say it once, properly -

What you're describing is common. I have seen it many times, and it is exclusively a bad habit. It's a dead end and you need to develop your picking slow->fast with both hands in synch, or you're setting yourself up for failure in the long term.

I know because I did it, and I wish someone had said to me "Sort it out, that just doesn't work" a lot sooner.

Soz if I came across a bit high and mighty, just take it as a tip from a fellow guitarist who wasted two years in a picking dead end.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If you're relaxed and accurate then this doesn't happen.

That's not some kind of washy generalisation based on nothing, that is a fact. If you actually have the skills to play fast and in time then you have the skills to play slowly and in time since the fast skills are based on and built from the slow skills.

Always listen to this guy and freepower.

Somethings wrong with your technique.
i did.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Picking up a teacher is a great way to get a third person's view of your playing and working on what may be hindering you. You'll find that working your way up slow to fast will utilize muscles that may feel awkward, but in the end will undoubtably improve your feel and accuracy in the long run.
good luck
Yes, ive read the page on his techniques and i bookmarked it, very helpful, i totally get the 25 BPM thing you stated in there, makes lots of sense.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
He's right. Start from super fast "mode" then go slower and slower. if you're doing 200 bpm on the click, try putting it down 5 bpm every riff. It's good because you won't feel a "sudden" change of tempo. Next thing ya know, you'll be down to 120 in no time!
It sounds like you're tensing up in order to play fast, and when you slow down, you're still just as tense, except instead putting all of that tension and energy in your arm or wrist into picking fast, you have to channel all of that energy and tension into slower movements which really don't require all that much force, so it's harder to control your picking. It's hard to tell what's wrong though without a video, can you post a video of you playing fast, and then trying to play slow, so we can see what's wrong?
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Mar 26, 2011,
no guys i read free's technique page, i think i got the solution now, i know what you guys are saying, and i play as relaxed as possible trust me i dont like putting much work into anything that doesnt require it.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Page 1 of 2