Picked up this baby in a trade. Nothing particularly special, but sounds better than a lot of people give it credit for imho.

THE TAPE IS TO KEEP THE KNOBS FROM MOVING DURING TRANSPORT...NOT TO HIDE ANY SETTINGS

BOSS CS-3

Review: Being a country player, I've played a lot of compressors. To me, the CS-3 seems to squish the sound a little more than others I've played. For country, I actually think it sounds really good. Compared to a Keeley compressor (either two or four knob), the CS-3 isn't as transparent. I can still find a use for it in a rock setting, but I think it sounds better for cleaner stuff. Overall, I think I'll keep it on my board for awhile.

I haven't done a proper demo for this yet going through all the settings, but I just recorded it on this country guitar tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXM7ZeAXa3I
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
i agree with what you said; great for getting a compressed clean tone, but when used with distortion it's a little too in the way and adds a LOT of noise
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
i agree with what you said; great for getting a compressed clean tone, but when used with distortion it's a little too in the way and adds a LOT of noise

great point that i forgot to mention! i also found that when i run it with my ODs, it can get VERY noisy. my NS-2 takes care of it all...but without some sort of noise suppressor, the noise can get real bad. noise is pretty typical with a compressor, but the CS-3 is noisier than others i've used.
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh