K guiys, I got a Peavey 3120 in the mail today, and I'm slightly in debt (from buying the head) so I can't buy a cab just yet. Is there any way to hear the amp with out blowing it up using maybe some of my dad's old speaker cabinets that have no 1/4 inch inputs or just stuff laying in the house?

Also, first time tube amp owner so any super important tube protips?
Quote by Nelsean
The world needs more buttmonkeys.

Quote by Eddie4President
The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
Quote by StewieSwan
Good. The world needs more of you.
are you dad's speaker cabinets build for guitar?

what speakers are in them? how many watts can they handle? how many ohms?

do not turn that amp on without a guitar cab with matched impedence hooked up to it. otherwise you could blow the output trans.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
are you dad's speaker cabinets build for guitar?

what speakers are in them? how many watts can they handle? how many ohms?

do not turn that amp on without a guitar cab with matched impedence hooked up to it. otherwise you could blow the output trans.

I kinda assumed that last bit, lol.

They're not guitar cabs.
The two cabs are both attatched to a 100 watt home theater amplifier (quite old). They each have two speakers each, but I think only one speaker is driven while the other is passive. Not sure how that works out though.

I thought I was gonna get flamed for buying an amp without being able to use it, lol.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
LULZ WHAT A IDO!TI

see if you can borrow a friends cab. other than that, your screwed.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
If I'm not mistaken, isn't a 3120 just a remake of a JSX? If so, they're like 3x more expensive. Just return the 3120, go buy a JSX and a cab and have some left over money.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
go seach for used stuff. I bought a rendall amp plus cabb for only 375 on craigslist and it works fine.
Everyone calm down.

The 3120 is the replacement for the old XXX. Same circuit. It is not an overly priced JSX.

If you want a warranty and are new to tube amps just keep the 3120.

That said, there are used XXXs, Ultras and JSXs out there starting at like $300. If you had came here first and asked, we would have told you to do that and get a decent speaker cab and have money left over

Note: Peavey has released a brand new XXX. Not sure how, if at all, it will differ from the 3120. The XXXs traditionally shipped with 6L6 tubes. The 3120 ships with EL34 tubes. That is the big difference.

Note: Peavey disconinued the JSX as Joe Satriani is now using Marshall. The new XXX may well be the JSX replacement. Not sure.

TS: you can turn the amp on without a load attached (speaker cab) so long as you put no signal through it. Because there really is no point in doing that there would be no reason to turn it on. Take it to a guitar shop and pretend like you are shopping for a new speaker cab, which is what you are doing really. Or take it to a friends.

Always make sure the watts and ohms match. There are exceptions to that but it is easier just to remember that simple rule. Watts on cab can be higher but not lower.

We can help yo find a used cab if you need help. Give us your closest major city.

Have fun with your new amp. I enjoyed playing the 3120 the few times that I have.
I live near Atlanta, Ga.

Btw, I bought it used for $500 so... no you, Mr. it's just a XXX!

I thought a less than one year old amp would be longer lasting and reliable than a more used older amp.

Edit: Also me and my dad thought up this plan: Buy an empty but good quality 2x12 cab and put two Celestion V30s in it. Something good quality that only comes to about $400.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
Last edited by The Buttmonkey at Mar 25, 2011,
I don't really like the looks of the Jet City cabs.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by The Buttmonkey

Then do something to change the look, but at that price, its a steal.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Hey man,

Don't listen to those who would put you down!

Actually I would recommend just keeping an eye out for a used guitar cab as well. Usually you get a pretty good value there.

If not then here are some cool links to consider:

Cheap 2x12 guitar cabs - http://www.google.com/search?q=2x12+guitar+cabinet&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=0&oq=2x12+

Avatar Speakers makes a high quality 2x12 cab with Celestions of your choice around $470 shipped. http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Contemporary%20212.htm
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Yea you can get some cabs real cheap. I bought a 4x12 cab today for 80$ (CDN) used. Granted it is a purple (custom job ) Behringer cab with Bugera speakers but still a steal.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by The Buttmonkey

What a buttmonkey!

I take the time to try to help you out, find a great deal for you on your local craigslist, and all you can say is that you don't like the looks of the Jet City cab? The 3120 is not exactly a good looking amp anyway
Well, I also have about -$200 dollars, most of the purpose of this topic was if I could play it through something that's not an actual guitar cab.

So... no u!

:P
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by Eddie4President
Quote by StewieSwan
arent the bugera 2x12's $169 new anyway? it's something to play through, and the speakers arent as bad as people would lead you to beleive.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Mar 25, 2011,