Page 1 of 4
Ok, here's the deal.

I had tonsillitis, along with an upper respiratory infection for 2 1/2 weeks. I finally got over it after I got some very strong medication from the Elliot Emergency Care.

Usually, I just have to deal with a sickness when I'm ill.. I don't have health insurance, and the majority of my family is dirt poor. But this time it got so bad that most believed I had mono for the 4th time in under 2 years, and it was really starting to affect me.

We ended up having to go to the Elliot Emergency Care, which is a place that MUST treat you/prescribe you medication no matter what. I went there the first time, and got tested for Mono & Strep. Both came back negative, but the doctor was an idiot (So says the doctor I saw the 2nd time). He didn't prescribe me any medication and said nothing was wrong with me.

It got 10 times worse exactly a week later, and I was forced to go back.. This time, with a more competent doctor. She took one look at my throat/nose, and knew I had tonsillitis & an upper respiratory infection. I was prescribed some strong meds, and within 4 days I was completely better.

My meds cost me near $50 dollars, and that wiped me out for cash.. I couldn't even pay it all. My grandfather had to loan me cash for it.

And now another week later.. We receive the bill. And it's for $150 dollars. I'm stressed about it, because I have NOTHING anymore for money. It was all spent on my medication. My grandpa just barely gets enough to pay for the bills every month, as he's near 70 and just lives off his 401k or whatever it is called.

My grandfather is the only one who supports me, and it's quite obvious he cannot afford this.

What do I do.

TL;DR:

Was sick, go to emergency care, get bill, it's $150. No one has the money to pay it. No insurance. Stressed out about it.

Oh, I should mention this: I signed up for charitable care, that way I can actually have regular check-ups and doctors appointments. I guess they aren't covering this, though. Which is where I really need it..
There's not much time... Cut and Dye your hair, grow a beard, and split town. Head for El Paso Texas. When you get there, look for a guy named Enrique. Tell him Vladimir sent you. He'll help you get to Tijuana. From there, look for a man named Ricardo. Tell him Vladimir is calling in his debt. He should give you $25,000 USD. If he doesn't, tell him you're Ivan. If that doesn't work, you may have to use force to persuade him. Go back home (if you want to) and pay off your debt.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by darkwolf291
There's not much time... Cut and Dye your hair, grow a beard, and split town. Head for El Paso Texas. When you get there, look for a guy named Enrique. Tell him Vladimir sent you. He'll help you get to Tijuana. From there, look for a man named Ricardo. Tell him Vladimir is calling in his debt. He should give you $25,000 USD. Go back home (if you want to) and pay off your debt.

I'm on it.

BRB guise
Get a job? 150 isn't that much.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Ok, here's the deal.

I had tonsillitis, along with an upper respiratory infection for 2 1/2 weeks. I finally got over it after I got some very strong medication from the Elliot Emergency Care.

Usually, I just have to deal with a sickness when I'm ill.. I don't have health insurance, and the majority of my family is dirt poor. But this time it got so bad that most believed I had mono for the 4th time in under 2 years, and it was really starting to affect me.

We ended up having to go to the Elliot Emergency Care, which is a place that MUST treat you/prescribe you medication no matter what. I went there the first time, and got tested for Mono & Strep. Both came back negative, but the doctor was an idiot (So says the doctor I saw the 2nd time). He didn't prescribe me any medication and said nothing was wrong with me.

It got 10 times worse exactly a week later, and I was forced to go back.. This time, with a more competent doctor. She took one look at my throat/nose, and knew I had tonsillitis & an upper respiratory infection. I was prescribed some strong meds, and within 4 days I was completely better.

My meds cost me near $50 dollars, and that wiped me out for cash.. I couldn't even pay it all. My grandfather had to loan me cash for it.

And now another week later.. We receive the bill. And it's for $150 dollars. I'm stressed about it, because I have NOTHING anymore for money. It was all spent on my medication. My grandpa just barely gets enough to pay for the bills every month, as he's near 70 and just lives off his 401k or whatever it is called.

My grandfather is the only one who supports me, and it's quite obvious he cannot afford this.

What do I do.

TL;DR:

Was sick, go to emergency care, get bill, it's $150. No one has the money to pay it. No insurance. Stressed out about it.

Oh, I should mention this: I signed up for charitable care, that way I can actually have regular check-ups and doctors appointments. I guess they aren't covering this, though. Which is where I really need it..

i'm sure the hospital's collection department has some kind of low-income payment plan or something.

i got slapped with a $800 bill for going to the ER only to be given a couple of vicodin pills and told to go home. you don't see me complaining about the bill(with this very statement being the exception).....
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Just from looking at your gear you could probably get $150 from selling pedals and stuff.
$150? That's nothing. Try owing over $1500 to angry companies who expected the money weeks ago. $150 is small potatoes. Busk for a day and you're halfway there.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Jack Off Jill

I'm 18. I've been rejected from every place in town, several times.. I wouldn't call the job market here very large. I don't know many people 18-26 with jobs.
I find it difficult to imagine struggling to pay $150, but that's my situation not yours...
Anyways, you're just going to have to sell something of yours or work overtime.
Get a job ffs...

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Quote by Acϵ♠
$150? That's nothing. Try owing over $1500 to angry companies who expected the money weeks ago. $150 is small potatoes. Busk for a day and you're halfway there.

Boo hoo, I owe 20,000 to a hospital for a car accident that I wasn't even driving in because the person who hit us didn't have car insurance and we can't use OUR car insurance. And we can't sue her because she has no money.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

The US healthcare system is fucked.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I hope it works out.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by Frank_Black
Just from looking at your gear you could probably get $150 from selling pedals and stuff.

I own an MXR 10-band and a Digitech Bad Monkey for pedals.

I know the obvious thing to do is sell my gear, but I've been trying to do that for the past 7 or 8 months to no avail.

To the again obvious responses about getting a job: It's not that simple. There's no jobs to be had, and when an opportunity does arise.. It goes to an older adult with work experience, rather than the fresh out of highschool 18 year old who's never worked before.
Quote by darkwolf291
There's not much time... Cut and Dye your hair, grow a beard, and split town. Head for El Paso Texas. When you get there, look for a guy named Enrique. Tell him Vladimir sent you. He'll help you get to Tijuana. From there, look for a man named Ricardo. Tell him Vladimir is calling in his debt. He should give you $25,000 USD. If he doesn't, tell him you're Ivan. If that doesn't work, you may have to use force to persuade him. Go back home (if you want to) and pay off your debt.

This was really f-cking weird to read because I live in El Paso.

But yeah, Vlad is a great guy!
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
Sell the guitar gear, and if that doesn't work, take out a small loan or something. Borrow money from a couple of friends or the like.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Mail them monthly checks for less than it costs them to cash them. I say this in all seriousness. With small bills like this, they tend to just say **** it and let it go.
Quote by Owenlee55
Well, my penis smells of fecieas and my anus smells of semen...
Exactly what kind of places are you applying to for jobs, man? It should be realtively easy to get a job at something like a drug store or a supermarket if you show them you intend to do some good, honest, hard work, and that you actually want the job instead of just applying because your family expects you to. Need to go out of town? Get on a bike and ride there. If you can't or won't do any of that, do some chores for neighbors after explaining your situation. There are some good people out there who may be willing to help you.

Or as others have said; sell some gear.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by SomebodySomeone
i'm sure the hospital's collection department has some kind of low-income payment plan or something.

i got slapped with a $800 bill for going to the ER only to be given a couple of vicodin pills and told to go home. you don't see me complaining about the bill(with this very statement being the exception).....

That's what the Emergency Care place is for, it IS the low-income/insurance-less place to go for people like myself.

If it was an actual hospital, there's no doubt the bill would be 5X as large as only $150.. This is supposed to be easy, but the financial situation in my life isn't exactly sound.

This is why we have no money: It's just me & my grandfather. Early last year, my grandmother passed away.. After 12 grueling months of chemo, crazy doctor visits, surgeries, medication.. Everything. My grandfather went from being rather well-off to being at the edge of losing everything.. And then she passed away, and the funeral costs were crazy as well.

I know, I sound like I'm complaining. Just another bitchy teenager, right?

I'm just stressed and I'm freaking out. I'm nervous. When my grandfather saw it, his head just sort of sank and he sighed. I'm just afraid for our situation.

Quote by swordsofplague
Sell the guitar gear, and if that doesn't work, take out a small loan or something. Borrow money from a couple of friends or the like.

I know, I've been trying to sell my gear for awhile, because I can't afford gas anymore either. I'm only 18 myself, so I don't exactly have friends with money. No one has a job

Quote by darkwolf291
This...mail them $1 a month

I like this idea. I might do it.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'm only 18 myself, so I don't exactly have friends with money. No one has a job

That excuse shouldn't fly; being "just" 18. You're an adult. If your friends want to be a bunch of bums then so be it, I guess thats the stereotypical, starving musician type. But you can surely expect to run into these types of problems again, and again, and again until you get yourself a job. When you apply for a job, use your age as a form of experience over other kids they may hire.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Boo hoo, I owe 20,000 to a hospital for a car accident that I wasn't even driving in because the person who hit us didn't have car insurance and we can't use OUR car insurance. And we can't sue her because she has no money.

oh cry me a river, i had to sell my kidney to the mafia to pay them back for some stupid thing that wasn't even my fault
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Exactly what kind of places are you applying to for jobs, man? It should be realtively easy to get a job at something like a drug store or a supermarket if you show them you intend to do some good, honest, hard work, and that you actually want the job instead of just applying because your family expects you to. Need to go out of town? Get on a bike and ride there. If you can't or won't do any of that, do some chores for neighbors after explaining your situation. There are some good people out there who may be willing to help you.

Or as others have said; sell some gear.
Well, there's not many places to begin with. I live in a small section of a small town. There's a grocery store, a CVS, along with a Pizza Hut and a McDonalds. The rest of any "Businesses" if you can call them that all only have 1 or 2 positions which are, of course, filled.. Until they go out of business.

Like I said, it's a fight for any jobs. Adults are just as desperate, if not more because they have families and bills to pay, to grab jobs that us younger people are after. The places jump on the older people first, because they have work experience.

This always comes into my mind: How the **** do I get work experience, if no one will hire me? Most of my friends end up moving out of the state or to other places because there's nothing here to live off of.

I'm not trying to make it seem like it's SOOOOOO bad, because it's not. There's jobs and whatever.. Just, they are all taken, and have been taken since before I was out of high school.

Quote by darkwolf291
It's foll proof. They can't say you're not paying them, because you ARE.

No, seriously, I like this idea. I'm bringing it up to my grandfather tomorrow.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by Jack Off Jill

****ing this.

I had the same thing earlier in the year, but my meds were $90 and the hospital bill $650.

$150 is not bad.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Well, there's not many places to begin with. I live in a small section of a small town. There's a grocery store, a CVS, along with a Pizza Hut and a McDonalds. The rest of any "Businesses" if you can call them that all only have 1 or 2 positions which are, of course, filled.. Until they go out of business.

Like I said, it's a fight for any jobs. Adults are just as desperate, if not more because they have families and bills to pay, to grab jobs that us younger people are after. The places jump on the older people first, because they have work experience.

This always comes into my mind: How the **** do I get work experience, if no one will hire me? Most of my friends end up moving out of the state or to other places because there's nothing here to live off of.

I'm not trying to make it seem like it's SOOOOOO bad, because it's not. There's jobs and whatever.. Just, they are all taken, and have been taken since before I was out of high school.

No, seriously, I like this idea. I'm bringing it up to my grandfather tomorrow.

why don't you and your g-pa just bounce out of new hampshire then? if it's as shitty as you say there's zero point in staying.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Acϵ♠
oh cry me a river, i had to sell my kidney to the mafia to pay them back for some stupid thing that wasn't even my fault

Boo hoo. I'm the Don and your kidney didn't sell well at all. It was worthless. I had to feed it to my dog. Ass.
Quote by Acϵ♠
why don't you and your g-pa just bounce out of new hampshire then? if it's as shitty as you say there's zero point in staying.

It costs money to move, dude.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by HardAttack
That excuse shouldn't fly; being "just" 18. You're an adult. If your friends want to be a bunch of bums then so be it, I guess thats the stereotypical, starving musician type. But you can surely expect to run into these types of problems again, and again, and again until you get yourself a job. When you apply for a job, use your age as a form of experience over other kids they may hire.

I'm sort of confused by what you're saying..

How can I use my age as a form of experience? You have to BE 18 to even apply at 90% of the jobs
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I don't know many people 18-26 with jobs.

I dont know many people 18-26 who DONT have jobs

& yea, $150 aint shit

I would leave that 1 horse town
this one time at band camp i stuck a flute up my rectum and couldn't get it out. i then had to go to the ER. They had to loosen it up with yogurt and take it out with a tweezer.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Boo hoo. I'm the Don and your kidney didn't sell well at all. It was worthless. I had to feed it to my dog. Ass.

It costs money to move, dude.

Which is why you always check to make sure the kidney is good. Honestly, the Russian mob always does this. Is this not standard procedure for you Italians?
Alright, well how many places have you applied to in the past month or since this happened?

If the word none even passes your lips as you read this, then your argument doesn't hold water. Not trying to be a dick, but get on it if it's this important to you.

Also, $1 method won't work. I owe hospital bills myself. They will help you with a payment plan, but it will be more costly than that.

How about performing on park benches?

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'm sort of confused by what you're saying..

How can I use my age as a form of experience? You have to BE 18 to even apply at 90% of the jobs

Because you're out of high school and a legal adult, meaning you (should) have outgrown anything that would take away from your commitment to quality work. And no, any of the retail jobs you mentioned earlier are age 16 minimum, not 18. I've worked for two retail stores now, starting at age 16 at the first.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by TheAbsentOne

I hear ya, man. I left Univeristy with a honours degree and I can't even secure a trainee position. =\
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Acϵ♠

It's crossed our minds a few times over the past year. Before, it was because of my grandmother that we stayed here. She had family, etc.. But now she's gone. My grandfather has his entire family here as well, but I believe I could convince him to leave.

My aunt & uncle moved to Brandon, Florida 2 or 3 years ago, because this place was sucking so much. We want to move down there to live near them.. Which is what I believe would be an awesome move, simple for the fact that there's a school down there I want to go to and my grandfather would be less stressed about everything.
Quote by darkwolf291
Which is why you always check to make sure the kidney is good. Honestly, the Russian mob always does this. Is this not standard procedure for you Italians?

I'm in over my head here... I'm not even Italian. I'm Honduran.
Quote by vintage x metal

to everyone saying get a job... have you seen the job market these days? it's horrendous and especially in a small town setting where the unemployment rate is high. OP I feel bad for you I wish there was something I could do to help. I myself am religious and if you go to your local church normally they should be able to help you. I understand 150 isn't alot but when you have no money and living with a grandfather who barley makes ends meet it's overwhelming. my best advice is try your local church they could possibly help.
Page 1 of 4