I like to play metal and rock.
I enjoy bands like: Iron maiden, metallica, red hot chili peppers, ACDC, Disturbed... etc..

I currently play an epiphone les paul standard through a line 6 spider 4 15W.

I don't like the spider. It sounds too digital, and doesn't have very good gain...

I am looking to buy a (preferably) new amp that can handle what I need. I can only afford up to around $500...

I don't know much in the ways of amps or amp brands... I'm kind of a newbie :P I don't need anything huge, just a decent sounding amp for playing at home.

Any advice would be appreciated!
hmm. hard rock early metallica.....i think (not sure but i think im right) u can pick up a Used JCM 800 for $500 but then you would need a cab to so i guess thats outta ur budget. i would go for it though
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
You are realy putting a limitation as to what you can get with a $500 budget. But I looked at zzounds.com and they have a Jet City Amp "stack" that is the JCA 20h and the matching 1x12 cab for only $350 with free shiping.
This will ge you most of the sound you are looking for and for the heavy stuff just add a pedal to boost the gain a little. A Ibanez Tube screamer it by far one of the most popular, or you can go with a straight distortion pedal.
You can also get another cab to add to the JCA 20 and if you get to it one day it will power a 4x12 fine also
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I would suggest a Roland Cube 80xl maybe, the 40xl is what I am getting.

No. With $500 he can afford much better.

TS look into a peavey classic 30. They're $650 new but can be found for as low as $300 used. Into won't do modern metal, but with a tubescreamer or boost it can get there.

A JCA20H with the matching cab would also be excellent for you.

Do you need to gig? And what's your nearest major city?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
I don't need to use this amp to gig, just for at home kind of thing. The closest major city to me would be Vancouver, BC.
Quote by Major Sparky
No. With $500 he can afford much better.

TS look into a peavey classic 30. They're $650 new but can be found for as low as $300 used. Into won't do modern metal, but with a tubescreamer or boost it can get there.

A JCA20H with the matching cab would also be excellent for you.

Do you need to gig? And what's your nearest major city?
In all honesty, I liked how the cubes sounded better than the 6505, PEavey classics, Peavey Vypyr, etc.

And he would most likely need a bit of a boost for a JCA
You actually have a lot of GREAT options at $500 especially since you don't need something for gigging.

Check out the amps from Peavey, Randall, Marshall, Roland, and Line 6 in this price range! Don't let the Spider series sour you completely on Line 6 either. Spider is the bottom range.

Randall has a Kirk Hammett signature amp out now.

Check out these links for some info on these bands' setups:
http://www.guitar-stuff.net/2006/10/16/guitar-gear-adrian-smith-of-iron-maiden-guitar-amp-setup/

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792777

http://www.guitargeek.com/chat/complete-rig-27/john-frusciante-amp-settings-97871/

http://www.freewebs.com/montyjay/kirkamps.html

It seems like you definitely want something that has a Marshall-like distortion sound available on it.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by Robbgnarly
You are realy putting a limitation as to what you can get with a $500 budget. But I looked at zzounds.com and they have a Jet City Amp "stack" that is the JCA 20h and the matching 1x12 cab for only $350 with free shiping.
This will ge you most of the sound you are looking for and for the heavy stuff just add a pedal to boost the gain a little. A Ibanez Tube screamer it by far one of the most popular, or you can go with a straight distortion pedal.
You can also get another cab to add to the JCA 20 and if you get to it one day it will power a 4x12 fine also

The JCA20H sounds really good with a Bad Monkey

The bad monkey is arguably the best sounding non vintage OD pedal but let your ears decide what you like tone wise.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier