I have an old Squier Bullet Strat HSS. I don't really use it for anything right now, and I mostly play metal and hard rock. I need another guitar for D standard and drop C tuning, so I figured I could just use this one after a few changes. I'm replacing the tuners with Schallers I'll get off Ebay, for like 20 bucks. The stock bridge pickup needs to go, I'm thinking of dropping in a Seymour Duncan Blackout humbucker. I can only afford one pickup right now, and since I rely most on the bridge pickup, I think I'll just take the two single coils out, and replace them with Blackout SCs when I have the cash. The second thing I want to do is a bit more complicated. The volume knob always gets in the way of my picking hand, so I want to replace the first tone knob with a master volume, and the second tone with a master tone, so there is no knob near the bridge. I have NO idea how to do the wiring for this, can anyone give me an idea of how hard it might be?

I know I'll be replacing the volume and tone pots, as well as the output jack because they're of poor quality and I'm dropping in an active pickup. While I'm at it, should I replace any of the wiring/caps? I don't know what those are, or how they'd affect the guitar, but I've seen the terms thrown around a lot.
I hear its tricky mixing actives (the Blackout) with passives. You might want to look into something else, or buying all the Blackouts at the same time.
I pride myself on my humility.
I wouldn't be mixing them. Only one Blackout humbucker and removing the other two completely. I'm just wondeirng if the wiring, changing one tone to a master volume, the second tone to a master tone and removing the original volume completely, would be difficult, for a complete beginner.
Unless your down for some major wiring learning don't get the blackout unless you want to have all blackouts later on and are willing to have right probably only the blackout usable on the guitar. For some high output HB i say go up to the which pup thread and get some recco on which one to replace it for that is passive.

But if your dead set on getting the blackout, learning is always fun c: (and maybe later on you could save some bucks when you want to put something new into your guitar hehe). There's an ultimate wiring thread here, i say go look into it, it has information on for the wiring, otherwise, just ask in that thread i am sure someone will help c:
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Just look up a active pickup wiring diagram for a 5 way with 1 tone and 1 volume, and presto. It's as simple as moving the pot to the location you want it in.

If your going to active pickups, everything is getting replaced, except the switch, and you'll be adding in more stuff, but since your knocking out a pot, you'll have plenty of room for the battery.
Make it an HH strat, with a cool pickguard, and get two actives for it.
It's fairly easy, just gotta look up the schematic and wire it just as it says c:

And making it HH is a nice idea~

Quote by Heilz
It's fairly easy, just gotta look up the schematic and wire it just as it says c:

And making it HH is a nice idea~

Where would I find something like this? Is changing a strat from HSS to HH just a matter of changing the pickguard, then the wiring?
Quote by thirdykal
Where would I find something like this? Is changing a strat from HSS to HH just a matter of changing the pickguard, then the wiring?

No. Unless your strat has universal routing, you'll have to rout it. Imo it would be better to have HSH or HHH using stacked humbuckers and the same pickguard.
Quote by JD2k9
No. Unless your strat has universal routing, you'll have to rout it. Imo it would be better to have HSH or HHH using stacked humbuckers and the same pickguard.

I can't really afford 3 pickups right now. I'm looking to only spend <$200 on this, for right now. The tuners need to be replaced, and I'm deadset on an SD Blackout bridge. For aesthetic purposes I want to change the pickguard to a black one. I think for what I need it for, a single humbucker would do fine, and down the line add in Blackout single coils.

Hmmm. I really like the HH config idea though. What does routing entail? (Sorry for being a complete noob).
Routing means, the pickups hole sizes, take off your actual pickguard and check under it, see if in it can fit a humbucker also on the neck. Most likely it will have an HSH routing inside so you can fit humbucker-singlecoil-humbucker.

Save some dough and use guitarfetish, they are pretty cheap and have some pretty good parts, get the pickguard, tuners and a new bridge probably from them. Also check videos on the pickups they have and see if you could get something similar to the blackout from the demos on the net.

You could get mostly any basic schematic from the Seymour Duncan website under... Schematics! They have a tab just for that ^u^ So go check it out bro.

Shame you're not in the UK. Irongear do some Single sized humbuckers for £25 (about $35). They sound pretty good and they might ship to the US if you ask them nicely
This thread gives me ideas. I checked irongear out and for a humbucker you're looking at 45 shipped.