I was thinking about upgrading a guitar of mine today, and I realized that I don't think locking tuners are really useful on hardtail guitars. An 18:1 set of tuners like Gotoh or Grover basically doesn't go out of tune, provided the strings are broken in. As long as you string up your guitar correctly and "tie" the string off at the end, there are really never any tuning issues. At least I haven't had any

Am I really off base here?
No you're absolutely right. I put locking tuners on one of my guitars, because they needed replacement anyway and I thought locking tuners would be better. But my other guitar without locking tuners stays in tune just as well. Locking tuners do make changing strings easier and faster though.
Yeah if you have a non-locking trem then you should get locking tuners, or if your tuners need replacing then you might as well replace them with locking ones if you can find some with a high gear ratio and that fit the current post holes correctly. I wouldn't bother modifying the headstock post holes to take locking tuners though nor would I be fussed about having them on the majority of hardtail guitars or guitars with locking nuts. A high gear ratio and sturdy construction are much more important than whether the tuner is locking or not.
If you can get them for equal prices as normal tuners and they fit the existing holes, go for it - if it doesn't help, at least it's not gonna f*ck anything up.
If you can't get them for equal price as a normal set of tuners, or they don't fit, don't bother. From my experience hardtails rarely go out of tune anyways.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
How much do you value the time saved by not winding strings on a guitar once a month for twenty years?
Quote by magic medicine
Locking tuners do make changing strings easier and faster though.

This. I have them on two of my guitars (the ones I mostly play). I don't break strings that much, but those locking tuners are really time savers when I accidentily do break a string.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Quote by jpnyc
How much do you value the time saved by not winding strings on a guitar once a month for twenty years?

I would say for a complete six string change, 10 minutes saved each time. So in twenty years that would be 400 hours. That's more than 16 whole days!

Steve Howe
Quote by von gelb
I would say for a complete six string change, 10 minutes saved each time. So in twenty years that would be 400 hours. That's more than 16 whole days!

You mean 40 hours.
i have a strat with locking tuners, and another without.

the main advantage is the reduced time for restringing, i think they are worth it for that alone. i haven't noticed any difference in tuning stability.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Pippers
You mean 40 hours.

Oops! Right, but still almost two days.

Steve Howe
Quote by von gelb
Oops! Right, but still almost two days.

Closer to a day and a half. And in the scheme of 20 years, that's nothing.....
I swapped mine from the Gotoh Standard to Magnum Locking, noticed no difference apart from its faster to string up.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
i have them on my frakenstrat and theyre awesome. Theyre also in my tremonti and im thinking about putting them on my epiphone dot. purely for a easy string change point of view.

quality locking tuners wont hold tune better than any quality normal tuner will.