Poll: What do you think of Fretlight Guitars?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think of Fretlight Guitars?
id buy it if i could
17 18%
not worth it
60 62%
Im indiffrent about them
20 21%
Voters: 97.
So I opened up my email today to find an email from guitar pro. Saying they are now compatible with fretlight guitars. i had no idea what it was until i open the aforementioned email.

So basically these guitars have LEDs built into the frets to plot out guitar tabs on guitar pro. Sounds pretty cool right?

I did a little more research and thought more about it. I would be a pain to replace the neck or get the guitar refretted. would that be even possible with LEDs in the neck/frets?

I went to their website to see if the pickups/specs are worth it
They are as follows for their FG-451 priced at $730 (their cheapest guitar is around $300)

FG-451
COLORS: Natural Blonde, Pinot Red
BODY: Swampash, curved flamed maple top
NECK: Fretlight bolt-on. Modern "C" Shape, 2-way adjustable truss rod at headstock
MACHINE HEADS: Direct Drive Sealed Tuning Machines with Locking Tuners
FINGER-BOARD: Optek Proprietary Advanced Polymer Fretboard (Patent Pending) with LEDs for all 21 Frets
NO. OF FRETS: 22 Stainless Steel Frets (22nd Fret, no LED's)
RADIUS: 12 inches
WIDTH AT NUT: 1 5/8 inches
SCALE LENGTH: 25 1/2 inches
PICKUPS: 2 Humbuckers / 1 Single Coil
CONTROLS: Master Volume Control. Master Tone Control. Recessed 1/4" output for guitar audio -
to amplifer.
BRIDGE: Deluxe Fixed Bridge with fully adjustable saddles, string through body design
HARDWARE: Chrome.

So what do you think of these guitars? Because I don’t know really what to think. its cool tech with LEDs. It’s this kinda thing that makes me say "wait....wut?"
This is one of those things that everybody thinks is awesome for a week when they first hear about it. There's a thread every week about installing fretboard LEDs in GB&C.

I think they're dumb as hell.
haha well said voleurz.
i do find this to be quite silly. the tech is neat. but i dont see it as practicle as well.
the only reason id get one is to teach others on if they have never picked up a guitar. but maybe thats not even a good idea cus they may become dependent on it :p
so not worth it... modern technology is ruining the fun in playing guitar..

especially those Gibson robot guitars.. >.<
Quote by MaddMann274

as much as i hate the "new technology" stuff it is what pushes music forward. prime example, effect pedals. and i think this stuff adds to the fun

i never partake in that fun nor do i want to though. so im not really disagreeing just saying it is what pushes music forward.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by blazex1214
So I opened up my email today to find an email from guitar pro. Saying they are now compatible with fretlight guitars. i had no idea what it was until i open the aforementioned email.

So basically these guitars have LEDs built into the frets to plot out guitar tabs on guitar pro. Sounds pretty cool right?

I did a little more research and thought more about it. I would be a pain to replace the neck or get the guitar refretted. would that be even possible with LEDs in the neck/frets?

I went to their website to see if the pickups/specs are worth it
They are as follows for their FG-451 priced at $730 (their cheapest guitar is around $300)

FG-451
COLORS: Natural Blonde, Pinot Red
BODY: Swampash, curved flamed maple top
NECK: Fretlight bolt-on. Modern "C" Shape, 2-way adjustable truss rod at headstock
MACHINE HEADS: Direct Drive Sealed Tuning Machines with Locking Tuners
FINGER-BOARD: Optek Proprietary Advanced Polymer Fretboard (Patent Pending) with LEDs for all 21 Frets
NO. OF FRETS: 22 Stainless Steel Frets (22nd Fret, no LED's)
RADIUS: 12 inches
WIDTH AT NUT: 1 5/8 inches
SCALE LENGTH: 25 1/2 inches
PICKUPS: 2 Humbuckers / 1 Single Coil
CONTROLS: Master Volume Control. Master Tone Control. Recessed 1/4" output for guitar audio -
to amplifer.
BRIDGE: Deluxe Fixed Bridge with fully adjustable saddles, string through body design
HARDWARE: Chrome.

So what do you think of these guitars? Because I don’t know really what to think. its cool tech with LEDs. It’s this kinda thing that makes me say "wait....wut?"

Wanna know the fun bit? the tab they posted next to the guitar does not match up to the lights which are lit
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Reckon they could be made to play a funky-as-shit light show while you were playing live? That's the only draw I see in them.
EDIT: Actually, to be fair, I don't mind the idea of scales being displayed on the guitar, but it still seems somewhat "off".
Last edited by 3lusiv3 at Mar 25, 2011,
Seems... inieresting... It's just further blurring the lines between guitar and Guitar Hero. Which is a bad thing.
I hate my sig
I have played for 20 years, still suck, and have a very nice american made strat. I own a fretlight and it's VERY NICE. Now, I did get one before the prices went up. I got mine for $299, the same model is now $429.99, and I own the "Standard Electric Guitar" in Black and I have to say its a well built, decent feeling and sounding guitar. Sure it's a little more than other "basic" (Squire, etc...) guitars but as someone that OWNS one, I like the way it feels as a guitar. The neck is especially nice as it gives a more solid feeling to it.

Notice I didn't even mention the Fretlight part of it? I bought it mainly to teach me scales in a easy way and as a techology-kinda guy figured I see what it was about. (I'm 47) Again it delivers. Is it perfect? No, and I don't have the better Guitar Pro software, but the thing works as decribed, has video, audio and free stuff to download, and is now compatible with a pretty big software package...How is this a bad thing? If Guitar Hero has led more people to play guitar and something like this can help, what is the harm?

I have about 15-20 songs for the thing, and it's pretty fun to see how you can try and keep up with Eric Johnson or whoever.

I like it and the quality of JUST the guitar (I've own the standard but did get to play one of the higher end ones too and it was even nicer) is why I would say it's worth it. If it had the lightup neck/software and it played bad, I wouldn't recommend. I use it as my "beater" guitar that I would take on a plane ride with me, etc...

I think anything to help people get better is a good idea...
Quote by voleurz
just teaches you to stare at your fretboard

This^^^ Why would anybody feel the need to stare at the front of the fretboard.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Its a cool idea for a young kid that wants to play a few songs that they love. Otherwise doesn't seem too practical
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
Quote by MaddMann274

How the **** does anything the Robot systems do effect how you play the guitar? It only handles retuning and it can tell you how far you need to adjust the bridge to fix intonation. That's it. It does even less than the VG Strat, Line 6 Variax and that new Fret King guitar do.
^thank you! I'm sick of retards who bitch about that stuff. Nice to hear that the fretlights are decent. Would be nice if they had side indicator lights too.
Honk
I'm not going to buy one and the people who do aren't going to bother me. If that's what other people need to be able to learn how to play, then they can have fun sucking.

But then again, it's more of a market ploy than anything. It's a simple and, most likely, rather cheap solution to a problem that everyone in the world has. "I want to be better" or "Learning is too hard". Lots of people would rather spend a bunch of extra money on light-up guitars, dvd's etc. than actually spend time playing and getting good.
If it came with a super-high powered cutting laser inbuilt into the end of the razor sharp headstock I would consider it.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by voleurz
just teaches you to stare at your fretboard

This

It's a very bad habit to acquire.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
I really think that this guitar is actually a good thing.
You get a great amount of fun playing the stuff that you like for 300 bucks.

If you make the math and compare it to the price of music lessons... well it pays off.

I know that you learn other things in lessons, but I would really buy one of these things if I wasn't already taking guitar lessons.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
I think it would be cool if what you played on the fretlight guitar transcribed onto Guitar Pro ! Would make tabbing guitars soooo much easier
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.
I like mine. It stays in tune and sounds better to me than my instructor's $600 SG. With it my practice sessions much more interesting. As a beginner I can step right into simple Beatles or Nirvana songs and make good progress very quickly. I'm working on Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd. I made little headway with the tab. Shocked my instructor with my progress using Fretlight.
Quote by thejester
as much as i hate the "new technology" stuff it is what pushes music forward. prime example, effect pedals. and i think this stuff adds to the fun

i never partake in that fun nor do i want to though. so im not really disagreeing just saying it is what pushes music forward.

Well said!!!

I can guarantee that when Leo Fender first started selling a P-Bass all of the old up right bassists hated it. Then guys like James Jamerson started to use it and bam now it’s common place.

Music is always evolving, that’s what’s so great about it... we get to watch it grow up right in front of our eyes
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
I'd have to agree with Chrisedge. I have not been playing for nearly as long. I have owned an electric-acoustic for a few years, the Fretlight is my first full electric guitar. For trying out some of the many, many scales in different keys this guitar is excellent. Instead of having a chords/scales book to manage while looking back-and-forth they just show up on the Fretboard. I've had my Fretlight for less than a week and using it to get some finger-memory going. It has been easy to switch over to my acoustic and try out the scales.

I upgraded my Guitar Pro and now I feel like I have all of the tools I need. Now its just a matter of practice, practice, practice (as usual). The Fretlight software runs great on my net-book and the Guitar Pro works OK if you use standard MIDI sounds instead of the higher quality synthesis.

All-in-all I'm happy with the package and think it will turn out to be well worth it.
Maybe beginners will find some use from it, but wouldnt use anything other than a POS guitar for that sort of mod.

Tbh dont think it would be much use when it comes to learning, but if somebody likes it fair enough
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
Maybe beginners will find some use from it, but wouldnt use anything other than a POS guitar for that sort of mod.

Tbh dont think it would be much use when it comes to learning, but if somebody likes it fair enough

Well, the president of my company has one of the high end fretlights, along with many high end guitars, PRS, Gretsch, Nash, Custom Shop Fender, etc...and he likes the Fretlight too. Now I'm sure it doesn't get played much with all his H.E. other guitars but the fretlights themselves aren't crappy guitars. That's what I keep telling people that they are decent guitars without the light up necks, that is a bonus...
I'm a self-described intermediate player and, although I have several electrics, if it weren't for Fretlight I honestly wouldn't be where I am today. I was skeptical at first, but was quickly turned into a believer. I guess you could say I'm drinking the Fretlight Kool-Aid!

The comments about it teaching you to stare at your fretboard make no sense to me. How is it any different than staring at a chord book or piece of sheet music? The Fretlight guitar gives you the information where you need to play it – on the neck of the guitar. Makes sense to me and the results speak for themselves!
it basically.....rules out learning theory and just displays all the notes on the fretboard in a scale....ide rather learn theory and not look like a tool
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Chrisb22204
I like mine. It stays in tune and sounds better to me than my instructor's $600 SG. With it my practice sessions much more interesting. As a beginner I can step right into simple Beatles or Nirvana songs and make good progress very quickly. I'm working on Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd. I made little headway with the tab. Shocked my instructor with my progress using Fretlight.

obvious beginner
you're going to want to learn how to read tab effectively in the future anyway

it basically.....rules out learning theory and just displays all the notes on the fretboard in a scale....ide rather learn theory and not look like a tool

also this
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Last edited by kandex at May 10, 2011,
I've been looking into this guitar, myself. I'm an intermediate/advanced player and I think the fretlight is a good idea for someone at my level. I'm not interested in learning songs with it or new chords. I'm purely interested in using it as an improvisation tool. The Improviser software lets you set up chord progressions, choose a tuning, transpose the progression to any key, choose the scale (or chord tones), etc. Blinking lights for root notes and a fretboard that changes with the progression. Seems like a great way to make all of my scale/mode/chord tone knowledge more cohesive. It would also greatly help with composition.

I think they should start marketing it more in that direction than for beginners.

By the way, if you think you'll look stupid for having a practice tool with light up frets, then you are too concerned with your image. You are probably playing guitar for status instead of musical reasons. Good luck with that.
Quote by JonnyMonster91
I'm not going to buy one and the people who do aren't going to bother me. If that's what other people need to be able to learn how to play, then they can have fun sucking.

But then again, it's more of a market ploy than anything. It's a simple and, most likely, rather cheap solution to a problem that everyone in the world has. "I want to be better" or "Learning is too hard". Lots of people would rather spend a bunch of extra money on light-up guitars, dvd's etc. than actually spend time playing and getting good.

You do know different people learn better with different methods? I hope everyone on UG is not so much of an Elitist jerk to thank that if someone learns something about playing guitar from a Fret-light, they automatically suck.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Last edited by bkmurff at Aug 4, 2011,
Quote by Roc8995
This is one of those things that everybody thinks is awesome for a week when they first hear about it. There's a thread every week about installing fretboard LEDs in GB&C.

I think they're dumb as hell.

Agree'd with Roc on the "dumb as hell" part.
PSN - Boosted928
Since we all have guitars (i assume) you could just get an xbox/ps3 for around $200-$300 and buy that new rocksmith game (not sure of the name). I might get it depending on how the reviews are after it releases. But, its basically rock band/guitar hero (i hate both of those games) through a real guitar with tutorials which slow down the songs and technique lessons. Far better than fretlight IMO.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
This is gonna be the new tool for all the desperate guys that can't get girlfriends.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by JKHC
Since we all have guitars (i assume) you could just get an xbox/ps3 for around $200-$300 and buy that new rocksmith game (not sure of the name). I might get it depending on how the reviews are after it releases. But, its basically rock band/guitar hero (i hate both of those games) through a real guitar with tutorials which slow down the songs and technique lessons. Far better than fretlight IMO.

Again, it's not all about learning songs. I think that's a poor implementation of the Fretlight. Is anyone here into jazz improv (or any other kind of improv)?