So before my recent Gibson SG purchase I had never owned a guitar with any more than the occasional nic. I try to keep my guitars in tip top shape. I bought the SG from a gentleman who had gigged with it for 8 years. So the satin finish is worn even further from its original "faded" point and its got a few good bumps and bruises in it. I think it looks nice having been played hard. Guys have any beat up prides and joys you wanna show off? How do you like your guitars? Kept shiny and new as long as possible, or let em gain "character"?
I take care of my equipment. Scratches don't add character, stories do. Stories can involve scratches, but if you bump your guitar into a table, that guitar doesn't have more character. It just has a scratch and now it looks bad.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
I take care of my equipment. Scratches don't add character, stories do. Stories can involve scratches, but if you bump your guitar into a table, that guitar doesn't have more character. It just has a scratch and now it looks bad.

I agree. But I didn't do the abusing and can't reverse it now
Love a good worn it guitar, i find it only feels right if it's worn from my own playing though.
You can pretty easily tell my favourite areas of the fretboard because the neck has lost most of the lacquer in those areas.
It just makes it feel so much more comfortable than brand new.
the nice part is you can take care of your gear and still get a good worn look. i have relic'd a guitar (one of the hardest, time consuming procecesses ever) but overall i love that look.

and if you play out live alot, you are gonna get a ton of scratches, bumps, dings, you name it. cannot avoid it
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by thejester
the nice part is you can take care of your gear and still get a good worn look. i have relic'd a guitar (one of the hardest, time consuming procecesses ever) but overall i love that look.

and if you play out live alot, you are gonna get a ton of scratches, bumps, dings, you name it. cannot avoid it

Yeah i can tell the guy who played it didn't pay much attention though. Wood bumps and all that is cool, but I would have kept the hardware clean, tuners lubricated, and now i have to take some abrasive to the pole pieces of the 490's to get the bit of rust of em
I like a well looked after guitar, with natural playing wear on the body. I really hate guitars with fake wear, like the truckstar
Quote by Troop of Doom
I like a well looked after guitar, with natural playing wear on the body. I really hate guitars with fake wear, like the truckstar

wow that looks absolutely horrible. dont let that be your only judge of fake wear. check out the roadworn 50's telecaster in blonde
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
i look after my guitars and do what i can to keep them in good condition, but i don't let that get in the way of actually playing them and gigging with them etc, so they do get a bit worn down over time through normal use.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yeh, I have no problem with guitars that have been played so much that the finish is worn down, or if it has scratches from being played heavily over the years. But when a kid bangs his guitar on a table and laughs and says "Ooooh i haz character!!" That's just stupid.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I agree, some of the older teles and strats age well but wear and tear on a modern-style-schecter or something similar just makes it look like a beater that a six year old got a hold of.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I like worn-in guitars (meaning they've actually been played a lot and not just sandpapered), it adds a sense of worthiness.
If you sandpaper your guitar though, you can definately tell. It just doesn't look as good as a guitar that's been lovingly played for a number of years.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Well, to me a worn guitar tells stories. It depends on the person though, if a person takes really good care of it, then the guitar still has stories but in a different context.

If there are nicks and dents on the guitar, you yourself know where they came from and you know the stories about how this scratch happened on stage or how this happened while practicing, etc.

Personally, i do like the worn look but I also like that I can tell a story with each scratch I got from playing it.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
A red SG would be epic win
anyway, my guitar looks pretty old and worn off. Theres nothing you can do about it.
This is a signature. It appears below your post. You are probably reading this.
I agree with everything biga29 said.

When I see a guitar that looks like it's been neglected and beat up, I don't see "character". If anything it just shows the owner is someone I would never trust with my stuff.

I prefer guitars that are well taken care of and look new. The only wear on the guitar should be the natural wear that comes from playing the guitar. I can understand those old strats from like the 60's which are usually worn, but if a guitar is only a few years old I don't think it should have that much wear on it.