Do I nessicarily have to be good at an instrument to attend a music college?

I want to learn alot about music history and music theory, I'd also like to become better at a few instruments. I play a lot but I know I'm not NEAR the level of most of those attending music colleges.
Not every school is Juilliard.... There are places you can go. Just decide if you want to spend your life and career in music, or if you just want it to be a hobby.
Quote by trueamerican
Not every school is Juilliard.... There are places you can go. Just decide if you want to spend your life and career in music, or if you just want it to be a hobby.

I want it to be the air I breath.
Though on the other hand, I'm also thinking of just taking like every possible music class in a non-music oriented university.
No.
I'm studying composition, and only basic skill on an instrument was required to get into the course.
Nope.

Hire a classical or jazz teacher on whatever your instrument is. They know what you should and shouldn't do for the audition. I've seen people get into music schools with only six months of playing under their belt. It isn't at all uncommon.

But you still need to know sheet music, some places ask to hear scales, etc. And a classical teacher is EXTREMELY helpful in getting you to have the correct technique, as that's very VERY important in most areas.
Quote by Naturalchampion
I want it to be the air I breath.
Though on the other hand, I'm also thinking of just taking like every possible music class in a non-music oriented university.

That doesn't mean it should be your career. I love music and guitar and don't want it to be my career (unless I was guaranteed to make it big). Why? Not because I don't like music as much as you, but because a career in it could ruin it, and I have other interests I'd like to pursue.

The odds are you won't make it. I'd go to college and take music courses, although going to music school can get you the requisite connections

It's up to you, obviously, but I would never want to do anything that could make me hate music/guitar.
I think it all depends on what course you take. Find out from the college you wish to attend.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by trueamerican
That doesn't mean it should be your career. I love music and guitar and don't want it to be my career (unless I was guaranteed to make it big). Why? Not because I don't like music as much as you, but because a career in it could ruin it, and I have other interests I'd like to pursue.

The odds are you won't make it. I'd go to college and take music courses, although going to music school can get you the requisite connections

It's up to you, obviously, but I would never want to do anything that could make me hate music/guitar.

Well this might sound stupid and a waste of money. But the reasons I think I may want to go to college for music isn't nessicarily for a career, but for the knowledge.
i got offered berklee, and im not that great a musician, as my playlist will show :P

damn money problems stopped me takin the place tho
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!