Will my Boss MT-2 (Metal-Zone) be of any use to me? Or should I sell it and look for something else? What is the value on one of those anyway?

Anyway, I'm sure the amp's own distortion is superior anyway, I just see that a lot of people boost their amps with an OD pedal. I've also thought about trading the MT-2 in towards a Chorus pedal of some sort so I can shape/enrich my clean tone a bit. What do you guys think? What is the first pedal I should look into?
Last edited by KailM at Mar 25, 2011,
No.

You can now throw your MT-2 away

OD pedal is what you want to tighten riffs and push solos. Any tubescreamer type pedal will work find. Set Gain to '0' and Level to '10'

I actually use a Digitech Bad Monkey this way. Works great.

I also just bought a EXH Clone Theory that I like a lot but it is not very tweakable.
The MT-2 is basically designed to turn any quality amp into a horrendous copy of a 6505, so no, you'll have no use for it now. As for the boost/overdrive pedal thing, like 311ZOSOVHJH said, any Tubescreamer copy will work to tighten the bass and smooth the treble, but I personally wouldn't recommend an actual Tubescreamer, because most of the copies have some kind of improvements. I like the BYOC Overdrive 2, but I'm often told that I like crap.
Chorus-wise, I'd check out Electro-Harmonix's new Neo Clone. If it's as good as the Small Clone, you won't be disappointed.
Check my sig. The pedals I have for my 5150 as of right now are all I need for my metal band and I'm happy with my tone. In the future I'm looking into getting an EQ to have a little bit more tonal options as well as a chorus because the cleans are just OK.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by farmosh203
Why not just buy an amp that doesn't need pedals?

lolwut? No amp technically needs pedals. You use them to get a certain effect or to improve your tone.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
It depends on what you're doing with the amp. You should only look into an overdrive if you are serious about doing a lot of lead work and even then I'd say just fiddle with the amps settings or get a good eq pedal (mxr 108) instead of blowing money on an overdrive for only marginal improvement where a decent eq can do what you need and more (Just my opinion from experience though, others will say different. I say test out whatever pedals you are looking into at the store before buying and all is merry).

But seriously the only pedals you "need" are a noise suppressor (Boss NS-2 or ISP Decimator, both are the same) and a channel switcher (Boss FS-6) don't even bother with peavey's footswitches, spend the money on the boss and you'll be glad you did.
no amp needs pedals. you use pedals to get your own sound, your own tone, and your own SOUND haha. i have two boosts for two different sounds on the two different channels. the metal zone isnt bad. its just no where near good. it makes the hissy metal instead of the great huge and thick metal we all like haha. i wouldnt throw it away, i would sell it or keep it. i try to keep all my pedals jjust cuz im a junkie like that haha
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Thoth_Amon
It depends on what you're doing with the amp. You should only look into an overdrive if you are serious about doing a lot of lead work and even then I'd say just fiddle with the amps settings or get a good eq pedal (mxr 108) instead of blowing money on an overdrive for only marginal improvement where a decent eq can do what you need and more (Just my opinion from experience though, others will say different. I say test out whatever pedals you are looking into at the store before buying and all is merry).

But seriously the only pedals you "need" are a noise suppressor (Boss NS-2 or ISP Decimator, both are the same) and a channel switcher (Boss FS-6) don't even bother with peavey's footswitches, spend the money on the boss and you'll be glad you did.

What does Boss' channel switcher do? Act as any normal A/B amp footswitch?
If you're planning on gigging a noise gate is a MUST for any high gain amp. I suggest the ISP decimator.

Another than that, a tuner pedal(something like a korg pitchblack) What kind of music are you looking to play? Obviously metal of some sort although the list of pedals are endless.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by farmosh203

every amp needs pedals.

even if you dont have an amp you need pedals.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by Adam124
If you're planning on gigging a noise gate is a MUST for any high gain amp. I suggest the ISP decimator.

Another than that, a tuner pedal(something like a korg pitchblack) What kind of music are you looking to play? Obviously metal of some sort although the list of pedals are endless.

Not really planning on gigging at this point (all of my buddies who play other instruments moved away, or aren't interested in my type of music.)

I play a lot of black metal type stuff (tremolo picking over chords and single notes), though I try to incorporate thrashy, death-metally chugging/galloping riffs in there too. I don't actually have the amp yet, but I tried out a 6505+ head a few weeks ago and just fell in love, lol.

Honestly, I don't think the overdrive channel needed any improvement, at least the head version didn't. Just set the gain at about 3:00, mids at 9:00, and tear it up!

I went through an effects phase about 10 years ago - I've been there, done that. My conclusion is that most effects are just too gimicky and you can't really use them all that much. For the past 5 years, all I've really used is a little reverb and heavy distortion (new amp won't need a pedal for that.) But occasionally, subtle effects like chorus and light flange can add an atmospheric effect to your cleans if not used too heavily. (I actually hate it when people use too much chorus - but a little can be very sweet.)

Are tuner pedals worth it? I've never owned any sort of tuning device - I just tune by ear, and can tell if one string is even slightly off.
Mod the mt2. Noise gate, tuner (especially if gigging), any delay/reverb/tremolo/flanger stuff you want.
Then buy the wah I'm selling *hopeful*
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Quote by farmosh203

Because not everyone has $3000+ to spend on an amp that brings the brootz like a boosted 6505, and be completely silent at the same time.

TS: IMO, there's only 1 pedal that you actually need: A Boss NS-2. If you can afford it, get an ISP Decimator G String though.

There are 3 other pedals that I highly highly recommend:

An OD pedal for boosts. There are many many different kinds you can use. I personally love the TS7. Bad Monkeys are also very good. Just don't go spend $100+ on a TS9. It's not worth it at all.

The other pedal that is good to have is an EQ of some sort. The MXR M-108 is extremely good. I prefer to use the Boss GE7 for ease of use and durability reasons though.

Finally, a tuner pedal. I use a Hardwire Tuner, which I love. The Boss TU3 is also very nice. If you go Boss here, don't get the TU2. It's a good workhorse, but there's just better out there. There are also some other lesser known tuners that are better than either I just mentioned, but I'm not familiar with them. I want to say one is a Polytune.

Quote by OceansBetweenUs
What does Boss' channel switcher do? Act as any normal A/B amp footswitch?

It does what it says: It switches channels. I use an FS-6. It's very nice, I love it. Besides channel switching, it controls the Reverb on/off on my ValveKing as well as on my 5150.

Quote by KailM

Honestly, I don't think the overdrive channel needed any improvement, at least the head version didn't. Just set the gain at about 3:00, mids at 9:00, and tear it up!

Just a heads up warning, the 1x12 combo isn't nearly as good as the head. It does sound very good for the price, but it's just not... "all there", compared to a real 6505. Besides the sound, It's rather cheaply built, and not as rugged.

Just play though it before you buy it. I'm not trying to say it's a bad amp, because it's not. It's just rather weak when compared to it's bigger brothers.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by KailM
Will my Boss MT-2 (Metal-Zone) be of any use to me?

Anti-theft device. If someone tries to mug you just throw it at their head. Alternately it could make a good guitar themed paper weight or door stop.

Really though I'd suggest trading it for a delay or somethin.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!

Because not everyone has $3000+ to spend on an amp that brings the brootz like a boosted 6505, and be completely silent at the same time.

My amp/cab was $200 more than a 6505 but at least I don't need any pedals to make it sound more brootz than a boosted 6505.
Quote by Offworld92

TS: IMO, there's only 1 pedal that you actually need: A Boss NS-2. If you can afford it, get an ISP Decimator G String though.

There are 3 other pedals that I highly highly recommend:

An OD pedal for boosts. There are many many different kinds you can use. I personally love the TS7. Bad Monkeys are also very good. Just don't go spend $100+ on a TS9. It's not worth it at all.

The other pedal that is good to have is an EQ of some sort. The MXR M-108 is extremely good. I prefer to use the Boss GE7 for ease of use and durability reasons though.

Finally, a tuner pedal. I use a Hardwire Tuner, which I love. The Boss TU3 is also very nice. If you go Boss here, don't get the TU2. It's a good workhorse, but there's just better out there. There are also some other lesser known tuners that are better than either I just mentioned, but I'm not familiar with them. I want to say one is a Polytune.

+1

I found my Bad Monkey for 35 dollars and it's as good as any Tubescreamer I've heard.

OD, NS, EQ, Wah - that's all I'll ever use, but I refer a nice bassy/reverby clean to a chorus pedal.
Quote by farmosh203
My amp/cab was $200 more than a 6505 but at least I don't need any pedals to make it sound more brootz than a boosted 6505.

What do you play? Not trying to argue, honestly curious. And is it completely silent?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Just a heads up warning, the 1x12 combo isn't nearly as good as the head. It does sound very good for the price, but it's just not... "all there", compared to a real 6505. Besides the sound, It's rather cheaply built, and not as rugged.

Just play though it before you buy it. I'm not trying to say it's a bad amp, because it's not. It's just rather weak when compared to it's bigger brothers.

Yeah, I figure it won't quite sound the same as the head through a 4 X 12 cab, but in the same ballpark. Overall, the same general tones are achievable though, right? Unfortunately, I was not able to try the exact amp I'm getting, just the head. The store, 2hrs away from my home still didn't have one in, and my local store wouldn't order one. The other amp in my price range, the Blackstar HT 40, costs $100 more, and just didn't quite have that brutal sound I'm looking for. So I said to hell with it and just ordered the Peavey online...

FYI, I'm coming from a Marshall MG100 halfstack, if that tells you anything. I am confident that the 6505+ 112 will at least be a decent upgrade compared to my old amp. Also, this will be my first tube amp. I kind of wanted to get away from the head + 4X12 rig anyway, in the past 5 years my amp hasn't moved from my house; I'd like something that I can take with me more easily. Plus, it will run a cabinet if I so desire, won't it? Is that the main difference in sound vs. a head with a cab?
Last edited by KailM at Mar 26, 2011,
why not try a vypyr(it has a built in effects and stomp boxes) or if your getting just something for a boost why not a boss sd-1
Quote by markuy48
why not try a vypyr(it has a built in effects and stomp boxes) or if your getting just something for a boost why not a boss sd-1

Because I already ordered a 6505...
Quote by KailM
Plus, it will run a cabinet if I so desire, won't it? Is that the main difference in sound vs. a head with a cab?

It will run a cab, but that by itself isn't the reason why its different. The 112 combo actually just uses all around cheaper components, and it really shows to someone who has an ear for 6505's. But yes, you definitely will be able to get in the ballpark. It will be a huge upgrade from your MG, haha. Enjoy it!

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A boost is not necessary at all with a 6505 IMO. I have a 6505 212 and I've bought and tried 4 different OD's as boosts on separate occasions cause everyone seems to sing the praises of having a boost with it so I thought I was doing it wrong or something.

I have tried 2 different EQ's with this amp however. The Boss GE-7 and MXR 10 Band. Both were great and so much more benifical to the amp than an OD.
yea like stated before, OD pedal is to tighten up that bass. i thought i was cheating my tone when i was using my OD on my amp untill i discovered every1 was doing it. but i also use the extra gain a little bit. what might be of more use to you though considering the peavy's rediculas gain already is either a nice EQ pedal of a Noise Gate
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I might just play with it for awhile to see what it really needs. If the cleans are as bad as many people claim (I didn't notice anything wrong with the cleans when I tried the head...), I might get a chorus effect or something to enrichen that sound. I might mess around with my Metal Zone with the dist. on zero to see what I can do with that too.

Lol, I used to own a Boss GE-7 when I was just starting out, but could never put it to good use on the piece of crap practice amp I had, so I sold it...also had a nice Chorus pedal, Boss Flanger, etc...
Quote by KailM
Not really planning on gigging at this point (all of my buddies who play other instruments moved away, or aren't interested in my type of music.)

I play a lot of black metal type stuff (tremolo picking over chords and single notes), though I try to incorporate thrashy, death-metally chugging/galloping riffs in there too. I don't actually have the amp yet, but I tried out a 6505+ head a few weeks ago and just fell in love, lol.

I went through an effects phase about 10 years ago - I've been there, done that. My conclusion is that most effects are just too gimicky and you can't really use them all that much. For the past 5 years, all I've really used is a little reverb and heavy distortion (new amp won't need a pedal for that.) But occasionally, subtle effects like chorus and light flange can add an atmospheric effect to your cleans if not used too heavily. (I actually hate it when people use too much chorus - but a little can be very sweet.)

Are tuner pedals worth it? I've never owned any sort of tuning device - I just tune by ear, and can tell if one string is even slightly off.

You havent actually played the 112 combo, its not comparable to the head version you tried, you probly should look for a used 2x12 or a used head.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean