Hey guys, I'm sure everyone here has met with a roadblock or a point where you just dont know how to improve. Well, I'm here right now FYI I had a teacher in my first year but then quit due to some inferiority complex... I used to think how you are "better" if you self-taught, but I do regret that now, I know I will be far from what I am today if I continued.

Long story short, I found it difficult to self-teach, because I dont know what is the next step for me. I know learning the guitar can be considered an open book, but I'd prefer a general pathway to follow or something :/

How did you guys overcome this mental roadblock?
Hi, I'm new to guitar too (1 month :P), and I've been in that position too. Don't pay too much attention to what I say since I'm a newbie, but I've read some replies related to this.

Heres a general idea of what they said in my own words:

Play what suits you. What kind of music to you listen to, and play that kind of genre, or a genre that you would like to play. Play an easy song to keep you out of depression (not being able to play anything really hits you mentally) as well as some "would like to be able to play this song" one. When a song is hard, its probably because your missing some sort of technique, and you must master it to play the song correctly. That means you have something new to learn! At the same time as having fun playing a song of your choosing.

I'm sure more experienced guitar players will be here soon, but keep this is mind for now.

~guitar noobie
Quote by Acousticmon
Hey guys, I'm sure everyone here has met with a roadblock or a point where you just dont know how to improve. Well, I'm here right now FYI I had a teacher in my first year but then quit due to some inferiority complex... I used to think how you are "better" if you self-taught, but I do regret that now, I know I will be far from what I am today if I continued.

Long story short, I found it difficult to self-teach, because I dont know what is the next step for me. I know learning the guitar can be considered an open book, but I'd prefer a general pathway to follow or something :/

How did you guys overcome this mental roadblock?

Since you have overcome your inferiority complex, I would strongly suggest visiting a local guitar shop and getting some lessons . Make sure the teacher fits for you; you don't want a teacher that's going to read out of a Mel Bay book for a half an hour then send you on your way with assignments as excruciating as the lesson.

Self-teaching is very difficult. I took lessons with the same teacher for two and a half years before I started teaching myself... I had reached a point in my playing where I KNEW what I had to do, and how to do it. It was just a matter of practicing at that point. But as a beginner, it can be incredibly difficult as you have no REAL knowledge about the instrument in general. This isn't to say it's impossible to teach yourself, because it definitely is, it's just exponentially harder than learning from a good private teacher.

If you want to keep on teaching yourself, analyze your playing and compare to it a guitarist that you idolize, and see what you can do to improve yourself. There are also a bevy on lessons on this website that you can use to help once you have established what you're doing that needs work.

- Justin
An open mind never knows too much.
I didn't really improve until I understood why I was playing what I was playing - theory.

Technique comes with time, practice shortens some of this, but really it just takes time.

Theory allowed me to go beyond bland memorizing everything I wanted to play, to being able to play what I heard because it made sense. Understanding theory seems like the bigger investment, and initially it is, but just memorizing songs ends up being a way bigger investment and frustration in the long run.
Countless times I thought of not playing the guitar anymore. But thank God I met friends whom I can jam with, fully realized my tastes in music, know a little theory(and wanting to lean more) and I just realized that playing the guitar relieves my stress. A way of relaxing that is productive...
Everyone has their moments where guitar is often frustrating and is a cause of stress. You can't really avoid it since anything you invest effort and time into, you will have certain expectations, and realistically not all those expectations can be fulfilled.

What I like to do to get out of this block, is to watch some of my favourite guitarists play or even just watch an interview of them. This usually lifts my spirits up, which then allows me to tackle my problem rationally.

As for the whole self-teaching issue, the easiest way would be to start getting lessons as Triklino said. Otherwise, if you wish to continue to pursue the self-taught route, you'll need to mentally prepare yourself, since the road is long and bumpy. Some advice I would give on this is to go have a look for Steve Vai's 30 hour workout (the whole article not just the tabs). It pretty much goes over the general areas of improvement as a guitarist and a musician and it will give you a framework for your practice schedule.

Hope that helped
Last edited by aspire.rabbit at Mar 26, 2011,
If you've hit that Wall that every guitarist hits, i recommend you do something you haven't tried. For example, if you're not a Death metal fan, look into death metal songs. You may not like it but you may learn something in the process (kind of like High school) i found the best way to improve was to refine the techniques i knew and just sucked at (Sweep picking and scalar runs were my Roadblock of Impenetrable-ness)

*on a side note i spelled "Impenetrable" without spell check while high. Highlight of my day? Si.*
Last edited by Destinyrider22 at Mar 26, 2011,