Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

Well Metallica's live tone (and not just its clean) is a very hard to get tone yet very very brilliant once you here it (for me that is).
I'm not saying that I want to duplicate it but I do want to get a really close tone, well never mind what I just said, scratch that, I am trying to get there live tone, I know "what a piece of shit, get your own tone" well if your one of those people then please do NOT even bother.

My budget is 10,000$ (yeah I know...) and what you guys can help me with is commenting and saying what you guys know about both James' and Kirk's gear is live (2009-2011).
really anything you know about there gear will help, clean, dirty, lead tone, anything so thanks for all the help
Last edited by GV8 at Mar 25, 2011,
Well... What do you currently own??
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
I don't know how much their gear changed between 09-11 from 2008, but I found a link that has their gear from 2008. Linkage
Ahh, I bought a Marshall JVM but not for metallica (im no dummy) but for megadeth because I have a band who plays megadeth only but that's just for the fun so...
I have a ESP LTD M1000 deluxe with a pair of EMG'S 81 and I have a Dean VMNT in black (its a real killing machine)
and thats pretty much it.
Also...

Kirk or James tone?

Both are somewhat different IMO
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
^
really anything you know ohh and thanks Adam that helped a lot but please still bring me more information
ESP kirk Signiature guitar
Kirk signature crybaby
Kirk signature Randal stack

KIRK IN A TIN!!!!

Haha, well as far as I know they're both still using EMG 60 and 81 in neck and bridge respectively.
Roland Jazz chorus for cleans
Diezel/Mesa for distortion
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Mar 25, 2011,
10 grand c'mon if you had that kind of money you wouldn't have to ask. if you do have to ask then chances are even if you plugged directly into metallica's stage set up you still wouldn't have the skill to play like them. either you are rich and spoiled or this is a BS thread.

if you really want to do it you'll need a bigger budget as both kirk and james's guitars go for almost what you have to begin with. shouldn't be any problem finding out whyt ecach's live setup is. just go buy the stuff.
Quote by monwobobbo
10 grand c'mon if you had that kind of money you wouldn't have to ask. if you do have to ask then chances are even if you plugged directly into metallica's stage set up you still wouldn't have the skill to play like them. either you are rich and spoiled or this is a BS thread.

if you really want to do it you'll need a bigger budget as both kirk and james's guitars go for almost what you have to begin with. shouldn't be any problem finding out whyt ecach's live setup is. just go buy the stuff.

+1

if you have ten grand chances are you know what to get. chances are, you don't have ten grand.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Quote by monwobobbo

Hey man look im not talking only about the amps (but the amps do involve) im also talking about all the other stuff like pedals and gates, amp switchers, preamps and poweramps so...
and I work so please dont call me a spoiled person I work really hard to have all the money i have know
Quote by natehimself
+1

if you have ten grand chances are you know what to get. chances are, you don't have ten grand.

dude i have more then 10 grand but thats how much i am willing to put on this whole project so its not like i new all metallicas gear is like 100 grand so cmon
Quote by GV8
dude i have more then 10 grand but thats how much i am willing to put on this whole project so its not like i new all metallicas gear is like 100 grand so cmon

it doesn't take ten grand to get metallica's tone. nor does it take 100 grand.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by GV8
Hey man look im not talking only about the amps (but the amps do involve) im also talking about all the other stuff like pedals and gates, amp switchers, preamps and poweramps so...
and I work so please dont call me a spoiled person I work really hard to have all the money i have know

They aren't saying that you don't have money, etc.

The comment is - if you have $10k to spend on gutiar stuff and don't know what you want, you shouldn't be spending that much money. Seriously, your Marshall can get you a great hard rock metal tone. Get a pedal to help further satisfy it.

Seriously, you're considering spending more than many people around the world make a year on a hobby. You better be making $100k+ a year with no real life responsibilities (children/debt) to make a purchase like that, and even then I'd put it towards a downpayment on a second house.

No need to have multiple $1000+ amps/guitars if you're not a signed touring/recording musician.

And Nate - you could easily spend 10grand on a Metallica setup.
ESP Custom Shop Explorer - $2500
Diezel amp - $4000
Mesa Dual Rec - $2k
Cabinets - $700-1100
Pedals - $500+
Roland JC120 - $1000
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by natehimself
it doesn't take ten grand to get metallica's tone. nor does it take 100 grand.

this is exactly one of the reasons why i posted this thread because i dont know alot about metallica's live gear.
and can we just please get back to the main question
Quote by GV8
this is exactly one of the reasons why i posted this thread because i dont know alot about metallica's live gear.
and can we just please get back to the main question

deizel vh4 and diezel cabs. maybe an overdrive pedal, and delay and chorus for cleans.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic

The comment is - if you have $10k to spend on gutiar stuff and don't know what you want, you shouldn't be spending that much money. Seriously, your Marshall can get you a great hard rock metal tone. Get a pedal to help further satisfy it.

Seriously, you're considering spending more than many people around the world make a year on a hobby. You better be making $100k+ a year with no real life responsibilities (children/debt) to make a purchase like that, and even then I'd put it towards a downpayment on a second house.

No need to have multiple $1000+ amps/guitars if you're not a signed touring/recording musician.

this is what i'm getting at although when people say 10 grand around here you have to take it with a grain or two of salt. dude i have a job as well, plus a car, house etc and i can't fathom spending that kind of money on gear. as mentioned unless you are making a living from music then that kind of expenditure seems pretty out of hand.

the other thing is you asked a very general ? that implies you don't have a clue about what to get. now a 10 grand budget on the Gear Page isn't uncommon but those guys know everything about gear. i just can't understand why you would come to a board like this and expect serious answers. the average metallica gear thread here usually is a kid with $500 wanting the ultimate metallica tone not 10 grand.

honestly i'd suggest going to The Gear Page as those guys will have way more experince with high end equipment than most here.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

this is what i'm getting at although when people say 10 grand around here you have to take it with a grain or two of salt. dude i have a job as well, plus a car, house etc and i can't fathom spending that kind of money on gear. as mentioned unless you are making a living from music then that kind of expenditure seems pretty out of hand.

the other thing is you asked a very general ? that implies you don't have a clue about what to get. now a 10 grand budget on the Gear Page isn't uncommon but those guys know everything about gear. i just can't understand why you would come to a board like this and expect serious answers. the average metallica gear thread here usually is a kid with $500 wanting the ultimate metallica tone not 10 grand.

honestly i'd suggest going to The Gear Page as those guys will have way more experince with high end equipment than most here.

You clearly don't know any of the members here because several of them have thousands of dollars worth of gear. GTFO!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1388660
Quote by monwobobbo

You clearly don't know any of the members here because several of them have thousands of dollars worth of gear. GTFO!

Just sayin, its a big ol' waste of your money. And people who generally do have big guitar collections amass those over years, buying second hand, etc. Not going out and within a month blowing $15k on 5 Gibosns.

Obviously some people do actually spend tens upon tens of thousands of dollars on pro quality equipment that they play in their basement with. And those people are morons.

Same premise as someone driving a Mercedes G wagon. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you're justified for owning a $150k Jeep, you're still stupid.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Mar 25, 2011,
get a nice esp with emgs, a diezel vh4 stack, mesa rectifier, a roland jazz chorus, an overdrive, and a wah,
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
EMG's are a must, I'd also look for a dense guitar, like an explorer or a Les Paul . Then get a Roland Jazz Chrous, and a Mesa Rec, or a Deizel, or any other high gain tube amp for that matter...
Then for pedals I'd say probably compression, flange, a tube screamer, and wah, of course.
Quote by Sputnik1

Obviously some people do actually spend tens upon tens of thousands of dollars on pro quality equipment that they play in their basement with. And those people are morons.

Same premise as someone driving a Mercedes G wagon. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you're justified for owning a $150k Jeep, you're still stupid.

I love your generalizations about everyone who frequents here! Plenty of members are actual musicians and have a great understanding of gear quality. The ones who flaunt their gear here can actually play.

Let the TS use their money and quit commenting about it.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

I love your generalizations about everyone who frequents here! Plenty of members are actual musicians and have a great understanding of gear quality. The ones who flaunt their gear here can actually play.

Let the TS use their money and quit commenting about it.

I'm not generalizing. I would say a good portion, possibly a majority, own lots of equipment that hasn't seen the light of day. Then there are another group who actually go out and use their equipment.

I have yet to meet a gigging musician who gives as much a shit about gear as the average forum go'er here is all I'm saying. Why encourage this frivilous consumerism?
Quote by Sputnik1

I'm not generalizing. I would say a good portion, possibly a majority, own lots of equipment that hasn't seen the light of day. Then there are another group who actually go out and use their equipment.

I have yet to meet a gigging musician who gives as much a shit about gear as the average forum go'er here is all I'm saying. Why encourage this frivilous consumerism?

Tell that to John Mayer and Joe Bonamassa! They are complete gear enthusiasts (wh0res)! Unless you are an investment expert you have no standing to tell GV8 on how to spend their money.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

Tell that to John Mayer and Joe Bonamassa! They are complete gear enthusiasts (wh0res)! Unless you are an investment expert you have no standing to tell GV8 on how to spend their money.

Lord. He came for a forum to ask how to spend $10k on gutiar stuff. My advice is don't.

Deal with it, I'm out of this thread now - no point in continuing an internet argument.
My spider 4 has alot of metalica presets..sounds like metalica to me.
save you about $9,700.00
Quote by natehimself
+1

Knowing stuff is a corollary to having disposable income?

Since when?

Ahem.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
James main rhythm sound is a pair of Triaxis preamps. One on LD1 Red (Recto) and another on LD2 Yellow (Mark IIC+). Traditionally they ran through a Strategy 400 power amp, although most recently it appears he's using a 2:90 power amp. The power amps are run into Mesa Stiletto/Traditional 4x12s.

He also had a Diezel VH4 with matching cab. So far as I know he blends the Diezel with the Recto for their newer songs.

Traditionally, Metallica's clean tone came from a JC-120 combo.... however it appears he's using the Triaxis in combination with a TC Electronic G-Major now. He also has a couple of custom EQ's that are used in the loop of the LD2 Yellow Triaxis.

James has done a few small stage gigs where he's using a Triple Recto halfstack and Diezel VH4 halfstack. His tone on those gigs is a little thicker/sludgier than his typical live tone. Not sure what else is going on in terms of gear off stage.

Kirk's live rhythm tone is a Dual Rectifier, which is slaved into a Strategy 400 power amp. I'm not sure if he's also made the switch to 2:90 power amps. For leads he blends the Recto with a Triaxis and for cleans he runs the Triaxis by itself. Effects are via a Dunlop rack wah, Ibanez TS-9, TC Electronic G-Major, and DigiTech Whammy.

So far as I know, Kirk only uses his signature amp as a practice amp, although I think I remember seeing a picture of it on a fullstack at a small bar gig that Metallica did.

Both James and Kirk use a DBX Quad Gate.

If you want a simplified version of the Metallica sound get any guitar with an EMG 81/60 setup and run it into either a Dual or Triple Rectifier with a G-Major in the effects loop.
Last edited by some_dude_2 at Mar 25, 2011,
dude i wouldnt spend that much money .

IMO a decent guitar ( which you already have equipped with emg 81 ) is more than ok . the m1000 deluxe is a sweet guitar , one of the best ive played for his price , great professionnal guitar .

As far as amp goes . a mesa boogie mark IIc+ or even a mark III (cheaper ) head with a cabinet with celestion vintage 30 ) would get you into metallica territory .

now their live sound is mixed and EQ a lot . i would spend $$ on a studio quality parametric equalizer and a good compressor . players often forget how EQualizers can show you a side of your amp youve never heard .

IMO

guitar : you already have it

-Mesa boogie mark III + boost pedal ( if needed ) + 4x12 with vintage 30 = around 1500 $

a studio quality graphic eq + parametric EQ and a good compressor .. you can add another 700-800 even 1000 .

add a good quality flanger pedal for Sanitarium and a ISP decimator noise gate .

You should be set .

Ive always like this guy Mesa boogie mark III sound ( guitar - mesa mark III - Eq ) . its in drop tuning , hes not playing metallica stuff but the mesa boogie mark III capture the sound of metallica very well . and the head sell for like 700-800 on ebay . The guy is playing at the lower volume possible with the mark III in its room recorded with cam .

demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=getPcpCjuRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRYXvpJcY9o&feature=related

add some good Equalizer , compressor . and you can nail metallica tone . no need to build up a rig as huge as James over the years . although metallic ahave countless amps and stuff over the years .. the mesa boogie mark IIc+ ( or mesa mark III head ) was the main sound of the puppets to black album years )

10 grand is a lot of money .

im just suggesting to go a mesa boogie mark III , just everytime i hear one , i think "metallica "

metallica medley with mesa boogie mark III http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNOIIqbGHN8

i love metallica .. specially ride the lightning to black album era . their stuff from 1994 to now isnt great at all IMO . but their 80s stuff was the best .

** im talking about JAMES sound here . the rhythm part mostly . which i like the most . James said himself : "Good distortion always come from the amp . I went with mesa boogie cause you can recognize marshalls sound as soon as you hear it ".... so no need into preamp , power amp etc.. the main distortion is from the amp . anbd that amp is a boogie mark IIc+ ( or a mark III). forget triaxis and strategy preamp . sell your marshall , get a boogie , be happy , live longer , get laid .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo

well you aren't one of them and feel free to point out the ones that have 10 grand worth of equipment. i'm sure there are a "few" but that hardly is indicative of the majority of posters here. oh and you don't know me or obviously didn't take the time to even look at what i have mentioned in my profile (not even close to all i have). if you did you'd see that i have several thousand dollars worth of equipment. i'm also 50 and am not typical of the posters here.

ok now feel free to help this guy out with your vast first hand knowledge of the equipment he needs. if you can't then perhaps you need to GTFO.
^^^ ... ^^ thanks for saving this thread.

TS - it would of helped your cause a little >.< if you could have demonstrated that you did a bit of research. Google some stuff and then ask if you are close. Ask in the form of a question. Get it?

+ 311 to Laidback Mike too.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

Her eyes are always derailed
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by Sputnik1

Because people who spend money on something you wouldn't are morons.
Because people who chase/love guitar tone are morons.
Because people who have a higher income and invest it into a hobby are morons.

Good stuff
/rig
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

Because people who spend money on something you wouldn't are morons.
Because people who chase/love guitar tone are morons.
Because people who have a higher income and invest it into a hobby are morons.

Good stuff

perhaps he didn't put things very well but he does have a legitimate point. you can buy nice equipment and still play at home but would you really need to spend 10 grand? sure if you are rich then by all means but for us mere mortals that does seem a bit extravagent. personally i see nothing wrong with having decent gear regardless of whether you play out or not but have to say that i'd have a hard time justifying that large of an expense. just me though.

just curious do you only use your Hamer and that Engl to play at home? love Hamer guitars but dan they are expensive. did have a Diablo for a while but i ended up trading for my 88 Strat+.
okay man i'm going to be straight up with you, get a roland jc-120 (1000$ US), you will easily get their clean tones, remember just look at their signature guitars and buy the ESP (not LTD) versions and you'll have the clean tone down pact, as for the distorted tones i have absolutely no clue what they use live for distorted, but kirk clearly uses a triple rec from what i can hear (i just played on one tonight, pretty distinct tone), i don't think he ever actually uses his signature amp he probably just has it on stage, or his signature sounds like a triple/dual rec as for james, what i can hear sounds a little digital, so i'd assume that is one of his triaxis preamps ( believe he has either 2 or 4 of them) but remember this, you will NEVER replicate their live tone, NEVER, don't think you can, their set ups are insanely expensive, set up in a certain way etc. you'd have to meet kirk or james yourself to find out, even then they probably don't know, but for james it could be his krank or possibly a rectifier also, his tone sounds trebleier than kirks, to be honest if anything i'd be trying to recreate the black album or master tone, i would give a kidney to get the tone for the guitars in orion, that interlude is beautiful

big edit: get a triple rec and JC-120, then get a mesa standard recto cab, that'll set you back about 5 grand US with taxes and shit, your guitars will sound great for the tone, the esp isn't much different from james truckster, get kirks wah and maybe his full stack, don't expect to get their EXACT tone but it will be so close i'm sure it will give you happy time in pants
Last edited by maowcat at Mar 26, 2011,
One advice You'll never get Metallica's tone hah
Just get your own mind-blasting sound it will rock 3012194101080318310x more
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
this guy has enough information, can we please close this thread now?

EDIT: WOOT WOOT! page 3 bitches!!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Page 1 of 2