You always hear about vintage guitars being worth so much, obviously because they're so rare nowadays. However, I bought a fender HSS American Deluxe strat a few months ago, in Olympic Pearl.

The link is here:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-american-deluxe-strat-hss-olympic-pearl-maple/41407

There was a big problem with finding a supplier, because apparently Fender has stopped producing the guitar for a while.

This gave me the idea that perhaps the value will increase in the future, due to the apparent 'short supply' of the guitar..

Any ideas?

It's such a good guitar, I love it, and wouldn't dream of selling it.. But just due to curiosity I'm asking others' opinions.

Thanks folks,

Rob.
Not too sure about that. They might have stopped making it because not too many people buy Strat's with humbuckers. Other companies make them better, and cheaper.
it possibly could but there were still a bunch produced. years and years down the road maybe, hit or miss. there are so many more guitars being produced today then there ever was back in what we now call the vintage days. so possible but not probable
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
only time will tell. it's hard to predict what early 21st century guitars will become valuable and which will just stay forever cheap on the used market, but due to the way comapnies are churning out thousands per day i doubt it'll be the same situation as with those '58-'60 sunburst les pauls, of which there were apparently only 1712 made in total.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If you have quality instruments, they will go up in value if you wait long enough. Although if you are trying to invest in instruments, its actually better to invest more money into already "collector" guitars. I read an article recently that said investment in instruments is a really solid investment,
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
My opinion is you can never really know. A lot of the sought-after collector instruments of today were not that highly regarded in there time. Then some guitarist comes along and revives interest. Case in point Fender Mustangs after Kurt Cobain.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
I don't see current Fender's being all that collectable in 20-30 years time, especially since they are so mass produced nowadays and able to be bought anywhere. Something has to happen, a drastic change like the one when CBS bought Fender and turned it to junk almost for a guitars value to go up. The early ones naturally became very collectable and values went way up. Same with the '59 LP, but you can buy a late 50's Jr. LP for not a whole lot of dough considering how old they are, same with 60's SG's.

Take for example a 1983 Kramer Pacer Special I owned. First production guitar to ever have an OFR stock, exact same body as on EVH's famous 5150 and they can be had for $700 or so. (price back in the day? $900)
The only good thing about buying guitars such as that Kramer is I sold it for the same value as I bought it for, so I didn't lose anything and had the guitar for over a year. Buy a new Strat and its difficult to say that unless you get very lucky.

Also, check out those $25k EVH Frankie replicas, only 300 made and people were going nuts saying how collectable they are and what great investments. You can find them now felling for $19k. In maybe 10-15 years it could go up, sure but it will take time. 20-30 years wait and even then you're still losing money cause of inflation. So investment? no but hey sometimes you can get lucky like the owners of early PRS guitars and so on. A drastic change has to happen to either production or something and the brand has to have a loyal user base.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Mar 25, 2011,
well if anything its just going to retain value because its a US strat. who knows, in 60 years perhaps it will be a collectors item, but for the meantime i think big name USA instruments are investments for thier ability to retain value.
Maybe maybe not, I have this Gibson ES 125 from 1957 and I still dont think it´s worth that much, maybe someday it´ll be worth something. Here´s a pic
Quote by ikey_
well if anything its just going to retain value because its a US strat. who knows, in 60 years perhaps it will be a collectors item, but for the meantime i think big name USA instruments are investments for thier ability to retain value.

That's just not right. If anything is to retain its value, I'd say it would be something rare or handmade or otherwise exceptional, not a CNC-made strat, of which thousands will be made every year.

The early and handmade PRS instruments come to mind, or something like a Suhr that's likely to have a company name still around in 50 years, or something with an exotic wood like brazilian rosewood which may become extinct or not available in the future, I'd expect to hold or increase in value.

The big point, though, is that a guitar is a terrible investment. It can be a nice tool, and it can be an heirloom, but if you're buying a guitar with the idea that it will hold or increase in value and somehow be economically advantageous to you, your grasp of economics is very poor indeed. (not to say that was your point, by the way, but it seems like some people are thinking that way)
Throw the money away before buying a guitar as an investment unless it is a true collector item or investment grade vintage. And that is a huge risk at this point in time. People are taking a major bath on high dollar late 50 early 60's guitars currently.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
my 1989 strat (which i bought new in the USA for just short of $600) would now sell for about £600 (about $1000).

not bad considering all the fun i've had with it over the years.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
well something like a les paul custom generally hold their vaule really well from what i see and some even go up in price after a while, especially is you get "limited run" finishes like silverburst. ive seen a few LPCs in silverburst that were 20 years old or less and go pretty close to 5k when they currently are 4.3k with taxes where i am
There is a reason why old guitars are worth money and it's precisely because people didn't think of them as investments. It's exactly the same as it is with sports cards.

I'll use sports cards as an analogy. Old ones (mid-80s and back) are worth money because they're rare. They're rare because people treated them like what they were, pieces of paper for children. Then when the values started to rise significantly, everyone started to think of sportscards as "investments" and so they'd buy up a bunch of the latest years offerings and stash them away in mind condition, hoping to one day cash in. The result? Sports cards from the late 80s to current day are mostly worthless, even rookie cards of top players, because there is no scarcity. The only modern cards that are valuable are the ones that companies artificially create value in by issuing in incredibly limited runs.

This is how almost everything in modern collectables works. New G.I. Joes will never be worth as much as original G.I. Joes because the mentality has changed. Guitars from the 50's and 60's (and to a lesser extent the 70's) are so valuable because it's incredibly difficult to find them in good condition because people bought them to use them, not for future value. Guitars from today however, will almost certainly never approach even close to the same values, because they're mass produced by the millions and people think of them differently. It is possible to artificially create value through scarcity (which is what sports cards now do) with limited runs, but unless you're shelling out big money for a limited run guitar early on, don't expect a guitar to appreciate significantly in the future just because it's been discontinued for a while.

That's not to say it won't hold it's value or potential increase marginally, but don't expect to be selling that strat for $xx,000 in 40 years. It rarely happens that such collectible lightening strikes twice.
Last edited by FullDistortion at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by dr_john
my 1989 strat (which i bought new in the USA for just short of $600) would now sell for about £600 (about $1000).

not bad considering all the fun i've had with it over the years.

That is the price on the other side of the pond. You would have to be a nut case to pay 1k for a used MIA Strat here in the States.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Personally, my opinion is that nothing made recently will be famous.

In my opinion, the guitars back then are so sought after now, because of the legendary bands that made legendary songs/albums with those guitars.

Today, we don't have legendary bands anymore like we did in the 50/60/70's. Back then, there were a handful of bands that EVERYONE knew. And that was just the music that there was.

Nowadays there are thousands of bands, and chances are if you have a favorite band, someone you talk to randomly won't know who they are.

Even the legendary bands that have come up today, like Metallica for example, the guitars they use won't ever be sought after or worth a vast amount of money, because every big band has signature guitars now. Chances are, I believe, that in 50 years, people won't be searching after legendary signature guitars, because just so many of them have been made, all carbon copies of each other.

So I guess that sort of ties in to the baseball card analogy above.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The only way a guitar would gain value over time is if it offered some kind of incredible, short-time offer thing that you can't find these days. That strat doesn't really bring anything special to the table (or at least nothing you can't get easily on a new stratocaster), so I can't see it gaining much value, if any.
Old Acoustic Guitars such as Old Martins from teh 50s will be worth a lot. I have a 2000 Std Tele MIA and I doubt it will be worth much until 50 years from now. It probably will not deteriorate in value though.
^ +1

I mean you never know what'll happen in future, but yeah, I'm guessing no.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'll never know. It's all about whether or not there will be a demand for them in the future. The rarity is there unless they bring them back within the next few years. My dad has told me so many stories about guitars he has had in the past and how he wishes he had held onto them because of how much they are worth now. That tells me that unless you hold onto every little thing you ever buy you are gonna have a few gems pass by you.
strats will hold their value, to be honest if your buying a guitar as an investment your a plug, i'd never dream of selling any guitar i buy, except my strat, it was either that or a $400 ibanez, my dad paid for part of the guitar, i'll never make that mistake of buying a strat again, decent guitar but extremely over priced, this thing was between a deluxe and a standard, screw american made guitars, there just as well made as any asian guitar but cost twice the price, anyways enough with my ranting, as i stated before strats hold their value quite well, so if you did ever decide to sell it you would most likely get your money back, maybe a little less
I would love to tell you an instrument is a bad investment but I currently own a ovation that was one of only a few made. My parents bought it for me in 91 for 300 bucks at a local store. I called ovation to ask about some replacement parts ie bridge and stuff. I told them the thing was in mint condition I just thought the bridge wood was drying They said if it truley was in mint condition they we would love to see the guitar. They said they haven't seen any of that model since they were built. They even eluded to buying it back from me which isn't happening ever.
Schecter Black Cherry HELLRAISER!

“Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.”