Sorry, but this is gonna be a long one, and I don't think I can really sum it up with a tl;dr. And I'm sorry if I just sort of ramble, because to be honest I don't even know what I'm trying to ask or get advice on. I'm that anxious about all of this.

Basically, I have too many dilemmas to handle at one time and I'm going a little bit crazy. First of all, as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to write science fiction professionally. I'm eighteen now, a sophomore in college, and I realize that's not the most reliable thing, so I started thinking about teaching English. Whatever.

Two years ago now, I started a band with two of my best friends as just something fun since we all played instruments. I wound up learning most of what I know through that experience, as I wrote my very first songs in that band. Now we feel like we're actually going somewhere, as we're recording demos and playing out and everything we wished we could do up until this point. But at the same time, I'm realizing that I hate the songs I wrote. I'm sure they're decent, or people wouldn't listen to them, but I just feel like they sound so mediocre, which is backed up by the realization that they were my first songs.

I don't know what I want to do. The band can either continue forward with music that is in my opinion sub par, or I can cut off all our progress and start over, which I would feel horrible doing.

It scares me. I always sort of fantasized about making it big, but now that we're taking the first steps, I'm wondering what I really want. Should I keep the band a small-time hobby sort of thing, or continue forward and see where it takes us? I really need help with this. I can't figure it out on my own. I think just talking about it might help, but I'd love some advice.
My Gear

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Peavey 5150

Shure SM57

M-Audio Fast Track

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor (3.20 GHz)

Reaper
do your fans like the songs? Eventually you will have to write new ones anyway. Once you do, you can phase out the ones that you decide arent as good. That is what every band does.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
You can always change songs, take your old songs and present them as 'Take 2' after you've changed them to your liking.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
You get better and better every time you rebuild from zero, or almost from zero. And before rebuilding you gotta go close to the bottom, so just let go of the songs you've gotten sick of. You can still play them, but try to slowly push them away to make room for new ideas..

What do you want to do? You really have to figure that out yourself, but you can't really do it if you don't break out of your old habits of thinking. (I don't really know what they are, but letting go of songs I don't like anymore has always been easy for me.)

Take the risks to do what you want, 'cause theres no use doing anything else. Unless it helps with what you want
As people have said above, everyone hates the first songs they wrote. If you don't want to play them anymore, simply write new songs to replace them. Until the new songs are ready, play the old songs. Also if your fans like the songs, why not record the old songs onto the EP, and keep the new songs for a future recording.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud