Hi, I'm a new guitar player, and I would love to play "If It Means A Lot To You" by A Day to Remember, but it requires a capo (on 3).

I was wondering if you make a homemade capo, and an effective one. What works best in your experience.

I only have a basic understanding of a capo, its something that raises the pitch of open strings, right?

How much do capos cost, and what are good brands (if any).

I have an acoustic guitar (by a brand I've never heard of, I think its called Silvertone). I know its probably not a great guitar, but its the only one my dad would let me buy (because of its price at 100 bucks). I would've liked to spend more, but I just couldn't. Sorry for the off-topic

~ThisIsBS aka "tibs"
A decent one won't run you more than $15 or $20 US. Just go out and buy one. Making a homemade one isn't worth the hassle.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Drumstick and some cord...
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
I strap a shoelace (a broad one like in vans or etnies) REALLY firm around the neck at the right fret works perfect to me
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Pencil

Rubberband

/Thread.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
Pencil

Rubberband

/Thread.

I use to use a shoelace instead of an elastic band. But it's a pain in the arse to try and get the pencil tight enough to the neck.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Yeah? my bass player did it all the time and never had trouble, maybe he just got lucky with the right rubberband. Hair ties work pretty well too, TS.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I'm sorry for another question about capos but, if I make a capo with a pencil, am I supposed to put my hand over it?

Also, the first chord is a G Major, capo on 3. Would I just use my index finger to fret a 2 on the A string? And wouldn't the capo just fret 3rd because thats where the capo is at? Sorry for being so dramatic on questions
Quote by ThisIsBS
I'm sorry for another question about capos but, if I make a capo with a pencil, am I supposed to put my hand over it?

Also, the first chord is a G Major, capo on 3. Would I just use my index finger to fret a 2 on the A string? And wouldn't the capo just fret 3rd because thats where the capo is at? Sorry for being so dramatic on questions

Because you capo on the 3rd fret you play all the chords 3 frets higher. Technically you're not playing a G chord but a chord with the same shape at a higher pitch like:
e-6
b-3 <-
G-3 <-- 3s are fretted with the capo, the 5 and the 6s are fretted with your fingers
D-3 <-
A-5
E-6
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Wtf just buy one.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
This capo is awesome:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shubb-Original-C-Series-Steel-String-Guitar-Capo-361503-i1130188.gc

Most people go with a simple clamp style like this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kyser-KGEB-Quick-Change-Electric-6-String-Capo-361601-i1130239.gc

For a hysterically retro 60's vibe, there is this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Elastic-Heavy-Single-Capo-100300758-i1165597.gc
(which I would not recommend)

Capos allow you to pitch your open string chords up higher. Female singer/songwriters often like to use them.
Last edited by tmcdaniels at Mar 25, 2011,