I did a quick search and didn't see anything on the forums related so thought I'd start a thread about this easy mod, just in case anyone else out there was wondering how to do this.

The 1x12 combo version of the 6505+ has this front panel peavey logo that lights up, but the LED's on mine went out a week ago (I've talked to some people whose LED's went out a few weeks after buying their amp :P). Instead of soldering new LED's into the board I decided to do something different and just take the LED board out.

Note: My camera died on me mid project, so I only have pictures of the amp after the mod, so I can't show you the actual wiring/soldering/lights i used until I get that fixed.

For those wanting to know how to do this mod, read steps below. If you just want the pictures then skip to the end.

Tools needed: Soldering iron/solder, screw driver, LED light strip, zip-ties, heat shrink tubing, electric tape

1) Take off the back grille, and unscrew the front grill. You have to get at the screws for the front panel from the back and there are four of them.

2) Once the front panel is off, use a flathead screwdriver to pop out the staples holding the wood panel to the metal grille. Unscrew and keep the two logo panels (and their screws) for later.

3) The LED's for the front panel are attached on a small circuit board screwed into the front wood panel. Unscrew it and pull off the two clamp wires (note which one is positive/negative, it'll say on the board).

4) Carefully remove the resistor from the board. It'll be the thing that doesn't look like an LED. Once you get it out, (I used my soldering iron to heat up the contacts and pulled it out) set it aside.

5) Pick up an LED light strip of your choice. Something 8" will work but you can use whatever. Autozone is a good place to start.

6) Take your positive/negative wires from the LED light strip and strip the ends. Solder the negative wire to the amps power LED negative wire. Solder the resister to the amps power LED positive wire in the same direction as it was on the LED board you removed from the front panel. Solder the other end of the resister to the LED light strips positive wire.

7) The hard part is done, now just figure out where to put the light strip. It's up to preference, but I put my up behind the reverb tank. There are two holes in the tank you can use to zip-tie the light to the tank. Use heat shrink tubing to cover up the solder work and electric tape to bundle together excess wiring and keep it out of the way. All of my wiring is bundled and attached to the reverb tanks side so its out of sight.

8) Attach the two front logo's if you want, either in front of or behind the front metal grille. I put mine in front and used the same black screws they came with. You can find some nuts at Home Depot or some place to fit those screws and tighten the logos to the grille to keep'em from flying off.

9) Re-attach the back metal grille, and the front metal grille. There are several ways you can attach the front grille. I used two of the original black screws and screwed on the grille from the front into the two wood blocks in the front originally holding the front wood panel. It's up to you.

Pics attached.
Attachments:
DSCN08266.jpg
DSCN083266.jpg
DSCN083466.jpg
Nice, here's a few shots of my recent attempt at refreshing the 6505+ 112 Combo

IMG_1245 by Waco70, on Flickr

IMG_1255 by Waco70, on Flickr

IMG_1279 by Waco70, on Flickr

IMG_1283 by Waco70, on Flickr

IMG_1264 by Waco70, on Flickr

IMG_1286 by Waco70, on Flickr

IMG_1309 (800x597) by Waco70, on Flickr

IMG_1306 by Waco70, on Flickr
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
ive got my leds done on my amp but havent some the head mod yet, I don't know anything about electronics atall.. I used 2 led strips but old what I need to wire them into the amps power.. any help?
Ebabbitt69, if I understand you want to know how to wire the LEDs? The instructions above are spot on. Just use the retained resistor from the old logo and wire it up as described. It uses the power source from the original Peavey logo. If I misunderstood please clarify.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
i can still use that resistor even tho im using 2 diff. led strips or does that mean i need a different resistor?
The same resistor should work for both if you are wiring the two LED strips together in series. Though not sure you really need two of them when one will suffice.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
yeah i dont have an led tube, i have the led strips with the individual leds... went that route since theyre brighter. i had a blue tube and i didnt really like it, wasnt bright enough. so i went with green because they had a higher rating. i have to try to get some smaller pics, the site wont let me upload the ones i have.. but thanks for your help, most appreciated!
Mine are the little 8-10 inch strip type also, sold in the automotive section at Walmart. I just used one hidden behind the reverb tank.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
I tried a blue tube first behind the reverb like the thread showed but it wasn't bright enough no matter where I put it.. so when i went with the green i had enough with the 2 strips that came with it to run the whole width of the amp. so put them in the front bottom of the grill facing up so it illuminates the preamp tubes and such, its nice and bright and looks good and mean lol
Oh and wiring in series would be both hots from the leds to the amp hot and same for the ground correct? and if not correct me if im wrong since id rather not fry something haha
If you got them wired up and working like that it should be fine either way. LEDs don't draw much current. Post pics!
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
ok so this is just a Mock up, still have to trim the wires down since theyre run off the amp itself and not batteries anymore. other than that its gonna stay this way other than doing the head mod whenever i find the time to do it.. so thanks dkunick for answering my questions it was greatly appreciated! lemme know what you think!
Attachments:
20130413_195321_20130413202704923.jpg
20130413_195308_20130413202915682.jpg
20130413_201259_20130413204246172.jpg
I like the green light, looks good!
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
thanks, the green looks alot less neon in the pics tho.. alot brighter shade of green in person
So decided to modify my 6505+ combo as well.
Youguys inspired me to do this since this is the first
Time I attempt something like this

[forbidden link]

[forbidden link]

[forbidden link]

[forbidden link]
Last edited by gatotrash at Jun 16, 2013,
Quote by gatotrash
So decided to modify my 6505+ combo as well.
Youguys inspired me to do this since this is the first
Time I attempt something like this

[forbidden link]

[forbidden link]

[forbidden link]

[forbidden link]

Need to find a better way to post your photos...can you embed them directly?
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Looks great! Like the white grill too.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Thanks.... I stole the white tolex idea from you .
I like the lighted logo so I left it alone.
now all I need is an empty two or four 12" cab
and load it with some decent speakers .

any ideas? because the speaker that came in my
combo doesnt even have a brand or
anything . just a plain speaker.
Quote by gatotrash
Thanks.... I stole the white tolex idea from you .
I like the lighted logo so I left it alone.
now all I need is an empty two or four 12" cab
and load it with some decent speakers .

any ideas? because the speaker that came in my
combo doesnt even have a brand or
anything . just a plain speaker.

Stock speaker is a Sheffield, not bad by any means but there are many options to go with. Avatar cabs come often recommended on this forum and they seem good for the money. A lot of folks opt for Celestion Vintage 30s or Eminence spkrs. Webers are regarded well but I haven't tried them. I love my EVH cab but they're on the higher end of the price range.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Thanks for the info... Seems like this amp can push 4x12 cabs with
No problem, however I think I'll go for a 2x12.
I like the ohms selector on this amp, but still not sure
What ohms or wattage to get.
Any suggestions?

And thanks again.
6505 and the new EVHs shoot for 16 ohms standard. For the 112 you're at 60W so any cab/speakers rated for 60-100 should work just fine. A 212 cab will work fine but you're right, it will drive a 412 easily. I've played 500-seat theaters and outdoor gigs with it driving a 412 cab; very loud, plenty of headroom. The 212 option is more portable for sure.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
The Avatar new is $439 plus shipping, the Marshall extension cab is about $799 new, either would work fine.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
I think Im just gonna wait and get a decent 412 cab later.
BTW, I was messing with the effects loop on my peavey amp
And I notice that when I had a pedal hooked up on bypass mode
The sound was different (improved) so I ran a patch cable from sent to return
(No pedal) and the sounds is a lot better, more clear. Less muddy.

I did my research and seems like people has done this.
Somehow it does improve the sound.
Right know I am still using the stock speaker
And using a metal master distortion pedal from digitech
And the sound is freaking awesome. So distorted but
Clean at the same time.

Not sure if you guys have experimented with this. If not
Give it a try and you'll see what I'm talking about.