How do you go about writing happier songs on the guitar? Everything I do is more on the sad side and if I write something happy it'll sound very generic or use the normal G C F D etc. So how do you write happy without being boring?
try doing a faster tempo, I find a lot of beginner song writers will stick to the same tempo for everything they write
it also helps using major chords
learn how I ii iii IV V vi vii works, it will help you create chord progressions

Just for practice take a happy songs progression, and try writing your own melody to it. It's not stealing because many songs use the same chord progressions. Maybe even play it in a different way. Hope that helps!
sad melodies often use semitones. try to avoid them. As JOE_DESTROYER said, a faster tempo is useful. theres no recipe for happy songs, sometimes i write sad, and sometimes happy ones, but more sad ones, so i think writing happy songs is more difficult. my advice: just hang on. if you gain experience, you will write good happy songs, just be patient!
practice, practice, practice
Quote by EpicFailCookie
sad melodies often use semitones. try to avoid them. As JOE_DESTROYER said, a faster tempo is useful. theres no recipe for happy songs, sometimes i write sad, and sometimes happy ones, but more sad ones, so i think writing happy songs is more difficult. my advice: just hang on. if you gain experience, you will write good happy songs, just be patient!
practice, practice, practice

Quote by AsharakWize
Here are some general, beggining tips:

1) Try faster tempo;
2) Use "slap moderato" rhythm;
3) Put a capo around 3, 4. fret, it will be pitched enough for happier songs;

Oh, and:

Slap moderato: DSU USU (where D=down, U=up, and S=slap)

I'm pretty sure this thread belongs in musician talk though, you'll get better advice there.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.