Page 1 of 2
My band's set consists of 2 songs in D Standard and 5 in Drop C. I am the only one with a tuning pedal and I don't like to use it because it doesn't seem as accurate as if I tune by ear. So after our second song the other guitarist and I would have to quick tune our low string down to C. Would that sound really weird to the audience if they can hear us tuning on stage or do bands do that a lot? Just curious
I hate my sig
most tuning pedals (that ive used) have a "mute" function. if you use that, its not weird at all. there is enough going on that the audience will hardly notice. besides, unless your audience is a bunch of RETARDS, im sure they will know what you are doing and not think twice about it.

now if your tuner DOESNT have a mute function, that would be weird.
have two guitars maybe? cos it does look pretty unpro, tbh
Quote by Cutlass_253
Me: Why haven't we had sex yet?
My Girlfriend: We have...
Me: Oh...right...
My Girlfriend: Who the **** did you think you were talking to
Me: Gotta go, bye!

this game is lame.
It does sound weird to the audience. If you're going to tune, tune using the bypass on the tuner pedal. Tell your other guitarist to get one as well. If you're retuning in the middle of songs, it's gonna be weird for the audience. Trust me - a friend of mine used to do that audibly and the audience was all like WTF?!, so now he uses a tuner pedal that mutes his signal and he just talks to the audience while retuning.
Ever try those clip-on tuners? Just turn the volume off on your guitar and it'll tune you silently and accurately. I wouldn't recommend audibly tuning on stage.
If you do, make sure someone's talking to the audience so it isn't awkward.
Or do some sort of improvisation in C major or minor (depending on the next song) where your last note is C, then you can tune down the E at the same time.

But it does sound unpro tuning with nothing else going on.
i recommend another guitar.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
well, if your just sat there tuning and nothing else is going on, its a bit weird. so just keep the audience going by talking, having the other guitarist/bassit/drummer or whatever do some little improv while you tune
it doesnt look bad per se, it only looks bad if your not keeping the audience engaged
Hi, my name is Forrest and i play the Gee-tar

Current Equipment
Vintage V300 acoustic
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender FM 212R Amp
Vintage Les Paul

Next Guitar/Amp
none....... YET
I ALSO PRODUCE CRAPPY MUSIC
Twitter?
like everyone said, tune silently. also, don't take too long. if you take 5 minutes to tune, it'll look bad. but it's better to tune up than kill a song by playing it completely out of tune.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I know there's a mute function on pedal tuners. I have one. But my pedal tuner just doesn't seem accurate. It was either this one for $50 or the Korg Pitchblack for $200. I didn't feel like spending $200 on a tuner. Something about this one takes me 5 times as long to tune than when my other guitarist tunes by ear.

And keep in mind, we're only tuning one string so it only takes like 5 seconds
I hate my sig
Quote by OhNoItsHimAgain
well, if your just sat there tuning and nothing else is going on, its a bit weird. so just keep the audience going by talking, having the other guitarist/bassit/drummer or whatever do some little improv while you tune
it doesnt look bad per se, it only looks bad if your not keeping the audience engaged

Yeah... we have a frontman to do that. Haha... I think the audience will be engaged
I hate my sig
I personally dont think it looks bad at all. You do what you've gotta do, as said before get someone talking to the crowd or interacting whilst you tune.

Overall, i think it doesn't.
Hundreds of bands do it, its part of playing your instrument.
It depends how good you are at doing it.

If it takes you ten minutes pissing around with an electric tuner, then you'll lose the audience. If this is the case, I'd use another guitar.

However, if you can do a Rory Gallagher and tune it by ear in 1 second flat, the audience will think you're awesome. I doubt, from your description, that you can do this.

Ben.
Fudoshin.

XxX-Ben-xXx
Either use a second guitar or get a tuner with a mute function/volume pedal with a tuner out. Either way, don't let the audience hear you tuning. Nothing says amateur to me like a band tuning by ear on-stage.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Use a tuner pedal with mute. As someone mentioned it looks amature-ish to listen to someone tune their guitar in middle of the stage aswell as it can be a bit annoying to listen to people tuning their instrument.

Just use mute and have someone in the band talk to the audience while you do it.

An alternitive is to have one other guitar in Drop C ready. But that's only if you have another guitar to do so.
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Are all your D standard songs and drop C songs together in the set so you only have to retune once? If so they should be.

Also does anyone else in the band have a tuner?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
We have this issue too, same amount of songs too which is funny. We just all stand by our amps and unplug, then plug into a hand held tuner and tune down.

We have our drummer do some beats and the frontman kind of re-introduces us, and thanks everyone for listening and introduces the next song, it takes all of 15 seconds to tune for us, so as long as we are quick about it, it's not that bad.

I know I am investing in a pedal tuner at some point, and I would just suggest getting one to solve the problem.
Quote by HaloDestroyer

If it takes you ten minutes pissing around with an electric tuner, then you'll lose the audience. If this is the case, I'd use another guitar.

However, if you can do a Rory Gallagher and tune it by ear in 1 second flat, the audience will think you're awesome.

This took the words straight out of my mouth. I've even seen a guitarist use tuning his guitar on stage as a form of audience participation. He'd say to the audience "give me an 'A'" (or whatever note) and of course they would wail back in all sorts of different keys "Aaaaaaaaaaa". Meanwhile he was looking down at his tuning pedal so that his guitar would be tuned correctly, then he'd turn around and thank the audience for their help before blasting into the next song with a fully tuned guitar.
It was actualy very entertaining.

The easiest solution is simply to have a guitar for each different tuning used onstage. When it's time to change tuning, you simply swap your guitar for another pre-tuned one. And while your playing that one, a roadie or friend can be side-stage making sure that the guitar you have just been using is still properly in tune after being played.
Quote by HaloDestroyer

However, if you can do a Rory Gallagher and tune it by ear in 1 second flat, the audience will think you're awesome. I doubt, from your description, that you can do this.

Ben.

As I said before, it takes all of 5 seconds for both of us to re-tune. I know how to tune my ****ing guitar. If people would read the OP half of these responses wouldn't be here. But thanks to those who posted helpful responses and not "I doubt you can even tune your guitar from reading one post by you"
I hate my sig
Quote by AlanHB
Are all your D standard songs and drop C songs together in the set so you only have to retune once? If so they should be.

Also does anyone else in the band have a tuner?

Yeah they're grouped together. We had that in mind when making our set. Likes I said, it would be about 10 times faster to just tune by ear. Just wondering which would sound more professional: the crowd hearing the retuning or them having a 60 second-ish pause in music. (it's only a 30 minute set)
I hate my sig
60 second-ish pause in the music BY FAR. If I heard someone retuning on stage I would think them amateurs. I have before, actually. It's also a good time to build some rep and have some crowd interaction.
Do people really care about seeing/hearing bands re-tune on stage?

Maybe I'm massively in the minority here, in which obviously don't try to please people like me, but if the singer leaned into the mic at the end of a song and just said, "We've got some songs in different keys here, so we've gotta retune" and then there was 10 seconds of tuning, it wouldn't even register with me as a thing. I probably wouldn't even be able to tell you if the band re-tuned in the middle of the set after the show. I literally would not care and would barely notice.

And that's the most boring tuning scenario possible - singer saying "we're retuning" and then the banding tuning. Some kind of banter or covering chat or something like slacker mentioned would only be better.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Don't make it audible - I did it once, because my tuner broke. There's just no way to pull it off if the audience hears the dissonances (and it'll be worse if it takes you a while). A band of friends had quite an awesome way: the singer would say something to the audience when someone needed tuning, and they'd tune silently. And if a string broke, the other musicians would break down into a blues improv until the string had been changed. Work around it
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by Damascus
Do people really care about seeing/hearing bands re-tune on stage?

Let's just say that once you have an audiences attention, it's extremely easy to lose. One of the fastest ways to do this is subject them to really annoying sounds, such as 2 guitars and a bass retuning.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Let's just say that once you have an audiences attention, it's extremely easy to lose. One of the fastest ways to do this is subject them to really annoying sounds, such as 2 guitars and a bass retuning.

Am I not going to the right venues? I have literally never seen this happen.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

Quote by Garci
Don't make it audible - I did it once, because my tuner broke. There's just no way to pull it off if the audience hears the dissonances (and it'll be worse if it takes you a while). A band of friends had quite an awesome way: the singer would say something to the audience when someone needed tuning, and they'd tune silently. And if a string broke, the other musicians would break down into a blues improv until the string had been changed. Work around it

Innovative shit right here folks.

Seriously, your friend's band didn't invent this.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by Damascus
Am I not going to the right venues? I have literally never seen this happen.

Never seen them tune? Usually it's best to keep it quiet, but with newbie bands it can happen.
Soundcloud
Quote by asator
Innovative shit right here folks.

Seriously, your friend's band didn't invent this.

That's why I never said they did , so don't jump to conclusions so easily. The fact that a lot of bands don't made it worthy to point out to the TS, who knows, maybe he didn't think about it, might help him out. You know what would be innovative? Contributing to the thread. Just sayin' .
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by Garci
That's why I never said they did , so don't jump to conclusions so easily. The fact that a lot of bands don't made it worthy to point out to the TS, who knows, maybe he didn't think about it, might help him out. You know what would be innovative? Contributing to the thread. Just sayin' .

Settle down, it was a joke. The way you worded it made it seem like you thought they were being really clever.

And there's nothing to contribute to this thread, the only valid answer has been said about a million times (before you said it, might I add).
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by Damascus
Some kind of banter or covering chat or something like slacker mentioned would only be better.

I used to break bass strings all the time on stage, and I actualy got pretty good at changing a bass string onstage (for a pre-stretched one) while reciting a slightly naughty poem called 'The Ballad of Johnny and Gertrude'... and I would have it fitted and tuned in time for the punchline of the poem so that we could go straight into the next song.

For those interested, here's the poem.

Johnny was playing in the garden one day, playing at cards and dice
When into the garden came little Gertrude, carrying three white mice
"I've got some o'them" Johnny said. Gert said "No you've not,
"OK" said John "I'll bet you anything you like that I've got everything you've got!"

Quick as a flash he lifted his vest and showed her his navel bare
He said to her with a nudge and a wink "I bet you've not got one of them, there!"
"Oh yes I have!" Gertude said, lifting up her skirt,
"And the only diff'rence 'tween mine & yours, is mine isn't covered with dirt!"

In a wink of an eye he'd unzipped his fly and showed her what lay beneath.
When Gertrude saw that she hadn't got one she was overcome with grief.
She dropped her mouse, ran into the house calling for her mum, she said
"Johnny's got something under his pants and mummy I haven't got one".

A few minutes later she came out of the house she didn't make a sound.
Johnny was standing in the middle of the garden waving his thing around.
She said "It's alright John, I know you've one but I don't really mind,
Because mummy says as long as I've got one of these I can get one of those anytime!".
Quote by AlanHB
Never seen them tune? Usually it's best to keep it quiet, but with newbie bands it can happen.

No, I have literally never seen an audience lose interest in a band because they were tuning up.
Quote by Ed O'Brien

Quote by Damascus
No, I have literally never seen an audience lose interest in a band because they were tuning up.

I have, but only when it's taking the band absolutely ages to tune when the audience just wants to be entertained.
Quote by Damascus

Hey why not try it yourself? Get the audience going then get everyone in the band to stare at their guitars for 1-2 minutes, playing with the tuning heads.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Hey why not try it yourself? Get the audience going then get everyone in the band to stare at their guitars for 1-2 minutes, playing with the tuning heads.

...are you kidding me here? This scenario is not the one the OP needs to deal with and it's not one I've ever seen.

Maybe it is my fault, though. Maybe I don't go to see enough terrible bands who need 2 minutes to tune their instruments*. Every single band I've ever seen who needed to re-tune mid-set have been able to tune fast enough that not only have I never seen the audience lose interest in them, but manys the time I don't think any of the non-musicians in the audience even noticed they were re-tuning.

*To stall any further misinterpretation, I'm not talking about massive, professional stadium groups. I've only seen a small handful of these.
Quote by Ed O'Brien

Last edited by Damascus at Mar 27, 2011,
Get a tuner that mutes the signal, making 0 sound.

OR If you have a tuner without this, and you dont want to get another tuner, get an A/B box. guitar signal into input, output A goes into amp (or other pedals) and output B goes into tuner which is always on. Just click on the A/B box in order to tune silently.
If you're so adamant about being able to tune and you already decided you're too cheap for working equipment, I don't see why you would make this thread.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Two guitars is probably the easiest way to deal with it.

I don't ever retune so I'm just speaking as an audience member on this subject.
Page 1 of 2