Here it goes I am new so be kind...I have a couple monster yellow poplar tree's clean and i have a mill. Just trying to get a good idea on how people feel about the wood and what kind of blanks you would like to have if you where looking for a blank?
Well, not sure about how good it is for guitars but tulipwoods probably the easiest hardwood to work, I've had to make boxes and tables and stuff from it and it doesn't really blunt your tools either. Its not a lot to look at though, and it can dent easily if your clumsy :P

IIRC jackson make some of their Kelly bodies out of it, so it must be usable.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by Speckled_Hen
Well, not sure about how good it is for guitars but tulipwoods probably the easiest hardwood to work, I've had to make boxes and tables and stuff from it and it doesn't really blunt your tools either. Its not a lot to look at though, and it can dent easily if your clumsy :P

IIRC jackson make some of their Kelly bodies out of it, so it must be usable.

I was under the impresson that fender uses yellow alot?
After a quick googling, I think thats ordinary poplar, they are a different species of tree.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by Speckled_Hen
After a quick googling, I think thats ordinary poplar, they are a different species of tree.

Yellow or tulip is a hard wood you can see the color on the blanks on like flea bay. Yellow aka tulip is use and is like alder if you will. Any size of blanks you like to start with?http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Piece-Solid-Poplar-Wood-Guitar-Body-Blank-/200328849374?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ea487a7de
Less yellow will show the more you sand. Lots of different poplars but tulip is the hardest.

Talking solid one piece for now? My thinking is 15x24 -2-1/2 thick one soild pice without glue?
Last edited by smokinjay at Mar 25, 2011,
I've used it for a couple guitar builds. Its dirt cheap out here. Fairly easy to work with and sounds pretty good. Its like 2 bucks a BF or so.
Quote by samhell
I've used it for a couple guitar builds. Its dirt cheap out here. Fairly easy to work with and sounds pretty good. Its like 2 bucks a BF or so.

Are you finding it that cheep for a soild one piece? 14x21x2-1/4 to 2-1/2?
Last edited by smokinjay at Mar 28, 2011,
Quote by smokinjay
Are you finding it that cheep for a soild one piece? 14x21x2-1/4 to 2-1/2?

I usually get 8/4 x7" x 10 ft. They have bigger pieces there (that they supposedly sell cheaper because they haven't been milled) but you have to go in the back and its usually a hassle. This is from a mill though. I'm assuming you could charge a little more for nice hand selected quarter sawn boards. Is the tree big enough to have something that big quarter sawn?
Last edited by samhell at Mar 28, 2011,
Quote by samhell
I usually get 8/4 x7" x 10 ft. They have bigger pieces there (that they supposedly sell cheaper because they haven't been milled) but you have to go in the back and its usually a hassle.

Thats still a great price.
i think the wood is good, fender mexi's i think are still made of poplar. i am unfamiliar with the yellow version of poplar, but as you mention poplar falls in the ash/alder arena of tone.

i am unsure you can get much money for your blanks though, i don't know if it would be worth the effort for you to spend the time doing it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i think the wood is good, fender mexi's i think are still made of poplar. i am unfamiliar with the yellow version of poplar, but as you mention poplar falls in the ash/alder arena of tone.

i am unsure you can get much money for your blanks though, i don't know if it would be worth the effort for you to spend the time doing it.

That is what I am trying to determine.....lol I am an urban miller with a wood shop. Done many guitars over the years but now its a full time gig for the gf and heavy part-time for me.+ full time job.
Quote by smokinjay
That is what I am trying to determine.....lol I am an urban miller with a wood shop. Done many guitars over the years but now its a full time gig for the gf and heavy part-time for me.+ full time job.

They seem to sell between 30 and 50 bucks on ebay....
Quote by samhell
They seem to sell between 30 and 50 bucks on ebay....

I can easily compete with that. One solid piece 14-3/4x 23x 2-1/4.
Quote by smokinjay
I can easily compete with that. One solid piece 14-3/4x 23x 2-1/4.

How is the wood cut? Flat? Slab? Quarter?
Quote by samhell
How is the wood cut? Flat? Slab? Quarter?

These two trees could be big enough to 1/4 and still hit the magic #'s and for a 1/4 sawn one piece guitar body the tree has to be well over the 40+ mark.( thats a monster tree) But would still need to be clean this is very rare.
Last edited by smokinjay at Mar 29, 2011,