I've been thinking about this question for a while. Everytime i pick up a guitar magazine and turn to an interview, a lot of artists say "A guitar sounds like the way I want it too" or something much similar. But that poses the question, "Surely when playing a guitar in a music shop, you would use a different amp/guitar then one at home?"
And I know i read that "95% of the sound comes from the fingers" so how come Amps and Guitars can still cost extravagant amounts of money?

But on this website, some people use gear that other people may scoff at, for example, I use a Marshall MG102FX, which im sure a lot of people would turn to their amp and smile thinking "Ha! I use a (Insert amp name here) amp! My sound is better than theirs!.

But does the sound matter if you have technique? I saw a guy in a shop playing a squier through a Roland Cube 30X, and making it Squeal and Crunch in ways I never could, and I also have a Cube for practice!

Am I missing something that everyone else seems to know?
Well it is a combination. If you know how to play you can make anything sound good. Because you can play it. Gear gives you the other half of the sound. But then again if you don't know how to play you can have a Marshall stack and won't make you sound good.
Good gear can make a good player sound even better, but shit playing is shit playing no matter what you're plugged into...nothing can cover that up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
people saying its all in the fingers are liars. People who make good sounds come of of shit gear are smart.

Quote by steven seagull
Good gear can make a good player sound even better, but shit playing is shit playting no matter what you're plugged into...nothing can cover that up.

this is kind of what I was trying to say.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Last edited by shikkaka at Mar 25, 2011,
I think both are very important, I know this dude who is a great guitar player but has never invested in better equipment, and his sound is just dull and lifeless, no matter what settings he uses.

The only high price gear I like to use are pedals, as for guitars and amps I like to go mid range and then I just mod them...

Theres a reason you dont see many people on stage using squires and roland cubes, they just sound dull, not much clarity and get muddy when turned up
Last edited by mcamp1230 at Mar 25, 2011,
I think lots of artists are very passionate about their tone and sounds, I'd say it's alot like finding a good attractive girl that isn't a lunatic once you get familiar with her. The same could be said about guitars. Odd example it may seem, i'm sorry lol.

Anyways, I can agree that a vast majority of your "sound/style" comes from the fingers, picking technique, attack on the strings, and how your wrist moves. To actually define all of that takes alot of practice which can be very grueling. Having seconds thoughts about your sound, guitars, and amps is normal, and is a sign that you're learning something when it comes to being a guitar player. As for amps, i'd say it's just a filter for your technique that adds a certain tone that you wish to find and achieve (brightness,warmth,presence,gain, etc etc.) And quite frankly amp sounds is all about preference, what ever works for you will be the golden ticket. As people will be very biased on what amp you have or what sounds best. Though when people give amp advice, it's a good idea to check it out. Seeing as you much find a prettier girlfriend(sound,tone) by going out there searching.

If you have technique sound does matter, and working with what you have. If you have no technique but you have a fancy amp, there's no point in having the amp because whatever you may play might make you cringe and leave you discouraged!

I'm sure you're not missing anything, you're just second guessing technique and sounds. Which is a good thing because you're interested in finding it. And I guess in most cases, it's sort of a "one man job" to finding your answers.

This is all my opinion of course! Just putting out my point of view and hope it helps out a bit!
Quote by shikkaka
people saying its all in the fingers are liars. People who make good sounds come of of shit gear are smart.

this is kind of what I was trying to say.

I disagree, if you are a phenomenal player, usually you can take what you got and make it sound great. Now if the guitar is poorly setup, I can understand, but certain nuance like vibrato and style really define your tone.
Quality gear won't make "you" sound good if you aren't any good this is true. On the flip side though having a nice starting sound with quality gear should inspire you to play/practice more often.

And it ends up being a better investment should you choose to sell somethings later on
First master the technique than even if the sound won't be so good you will still rock. Anyway like Shikkaka mentioned when you know how to make the best of the sound you got than you are really in other level.
First learn to play then Think about gear!! You play shit and have good gear it'll just make you sound even more shittier
ACE AND THE ASS
Been playing for 4 years with a piece of shit knock-off guitar at home and I shalt tell you. It feels so fu*king good to play something else every time I go to the school studio, even if it is just a Epiphone Les Paul through a Marshall MG series amp (Never checked, but I guess it's quite cheap, since very little amount of people use our school's studio).

But I can live with my 100 euro telecaster knock-off, as long as I can hope for something better as I get better as a player.. I think I'll buy a PRS Torero with a new amp before summer, haven't found anything as fitting yet.
My mesa boogie F-50 has balls... The difference was clear when I first played through it.
I put in many many years with budget gear before that, so I wasn't playing any differently.

But it was a whole new realm. Gain just jumps out and grabs you, it's right in your face especially at moderate crunch levels.
Cleans are also sweet - warm and very defined.

No amount of pedals can do that stuff to a lesser amp. (Believe me I tried)

I still play the F-50. The thing weighs a ton and I hate thinking about delicate tubes out on a gig... but I still won't trade it for anything any time soon.
First learn to play and then look into the quality gear. Quality gear may make you sound somewhat better, but it's not going to make you play better. My advice would be to upgrade your gear as you go along.
How you sound = Technique + (Guitar equipment / Technique)

If your technique sucks, you will suck horribly.
If you have great equipment and decent technique, it'll be better than normal.
If you have really crap guitar equipment, you can only get so far.
: )
Good gear can make your technique shine and stand out more.
Good gear won't make up for bad technique,
simple as that
most of the tone comes from the fingers. That is no lie!! Better gear makes it more pleasurable and allows you to play with more nuance. I'm very picky about what gear I play from guitars, amps to pedals and cables. It does make a difference, however if you think that buying a Dumble amp is all of a sudden going to make you sound amazing you're wrong. I can make whatever amp work. I'm going to complain a little and have to work harder for it to sound good if the gear sucks, but my playing will come through.

--m
www.knobtwiddler.net