I'm thinking of removing the pick guard from my EL-00. I already know how to do it. I was just wondering if it will improve the tone at all. Do pick guards impede a solid top at all? If any one has experience with this let me know, and tell what type guitar you have done it to.
there are some people who swear that getting that plastic off the top improves the tone. I've done it on two guitars in the past, but I gotta admit I didn't really notice an improvement. On a Gibson with the thick guards I'd say maybe, but other than that I doubt the sound woudl change much.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
In all honesty, you could improve your tone more by holding the acoustic guitar more lightly.

What really impedes tone is when a guitar player hugs their guitar and ends up dampening the vibrations. I know I leave my strumming arm hanging across the top of my guitar, but that's more because I have short arms than anything else.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Any functional tips on how to really remove the pickguard? I don't think it will improve sound either, but my pickguard is redicoulusly ugly
Quote by gitarrkrillen
Any functional tips on how to really remove the pickguard? I don't think it will improve sound either, but my pickguard is redicoulusly ugly

it's pretty easy.

1. warm it up with a hair dryer just a bit, not too long or you could dry out the wood.

2. use fishing line to work under one edge

3. continue slowly and very gently to work it under/pull until it's off

You may need to stop and re-warm it as you go. Just be careful not to dry it out. You should know that no matter what the age of the guitar there will be a different color shade where the pickguard was. If you are planning on changing it to a better looking guard be sure to get one bigger than the old one. If you are just gonna leave it off keep the shading in mind before you pull it off!
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook