I don't know whether I posted this in the wrong forum or not but here it goes. How can I write a good album review because I've been on this site since October 2010 and I haven't made one contribution yet. So is there anyone out there who can give me advice on how to write a good album review?

Thanks in advance.
You either can write a good review or you can't. We can't tell you how to form an opinion.
Don't review an album that you're a fanboy for unless you can look at the album from an objective standpoint.
Look at the game reviews on Gamefaqs for some good examples of quality, unbiased reviewing.
Quote by supersac
ive won an argument with a girl but then i still lost
Quote by rgrockr
I guess that's why my ass was sore when I woke up this morning.

It is now my goal to get skylerjames13 to BURN OUT
Every thread I touch closes
I ENJOY SKAAAAAAA
Quote by blake1221
Don't review an album that you're a fanboy for unless you can look at the album from an objective standpoint.

This. Give a good summary, use descriptive words, etc. If you can describe it well, you're good.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Don't do it like this.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Don't write anything. Just say, "Five stars."
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by blake1221
Still a terrible album.

I actually love A7X but that album kinda sucked.
Yeah, I advise to not review your favorite album ever, because you're gonna be all bias. In fact, review a lesser album by a band that you like. Try to be descriptive and really balance your review with pros and cons.
Don't do a track by track saying yeah this song is so kewl it has guitars lol 4/5, but review the entire album.
Work out what the artist was trying to do, whether they succeeded, and whether it was worth doing.

Or something.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 26, 2011,
Writing a review is kinda like writing an album.

You can do what you want. Some will like it, some won't.

Whatever you do, please don't award points or stars. Make people read instead of grinning toothily at a number or a buncha coloured stars.
like everyone says, be objective. forget whether or not you liked the album. there are great albums i hate, and terrible albums i love, for example, but liking something =/= being good. so probably it's best to do an album/band that you don't particularly love or hate.

you have to ask yourself what the band is trying to accomplish, and how well did they accomplish it. you have to say how well everything works together (different instruments, lyrics, vocals, production, etc) and how those elements add to or subtract from the album.

also, try reviewing an album that doesn't have too many reviews, particularly something by a band that's not super well known but should be, and that way more people will have a chance to hear them. on the other hand, if you just write another review about how great Led Zeppelin IV was or how influential Kill 'em All was or how overrated Reign in Blood is or something, people have all heard that before and don't care.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by TheReverend724
Don't do a track by track

THIS!!!!

Track by track is not a review of an album.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Music reviews are based one the premise than any one piece of music is better than another. Anything else is a music description.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Same as they teach you in school to write essays.

Paragraph introducing the album with some facts, figures and names.
Paragraph about positives of the album.
Paragraph about the negatives
Paragraph on conclusion

Done, unless i missed something?
Objectivity is the key. All reviews are subjective to the listener, so unless you're being a blatant fanboy, you can't go too wrong.

Be honest but be objective.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by Afroboy267
Same as they teach you in school to write essays.

Paragraph introducing the album with some facts, figures and names.
Paragraph about positives of the album.
Paragraph about the negatives
Paragraph on conclusion

Done, unless i missed something?

Rather than facts and figures, I´d go with a small career overview or description of the artist.
Remember one thing above all else: There are two types of people in the world.
1) Sensible people who don't give a **** about other people's taste in music
2) Fanboys who care too much about music and will challenge you to internet duels if you give their favorite album less than five stars, or their least favorite album more than 1 star.

What I'm saying is that this is a venture best left alone.
Well there isn't a way, you're always gonna get sh*t from people that disagree with your opinion lol
Don't use "words" like lol.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by TheReverend724
Don't do a track by track

I like it when they add a review every song on there, but that's just me.

But they do need to review an album as a whole, I'll give you that.
Quote by LesPaulGuy514
I like it when they add a review every song on there, but that's just me.

But they do need to review an album as a whole, I'll give you that.

i think track by track can make the whole album too long, but just reviewing a few individual tracks works nicely, maybe like a couple that really stick out or a couple that are the most typical for that album.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Make sure you have the bulk of it thought/planned out first. Once you're done writing it leave it for a few days and then come back to it. Reread everything and make sure you've said what you wanted to say and that the grammar is solid. After fixing it up you can submit it.

Don't be overly detailed and long winded as people will lose interest. Detailing a few excellent tracks is good but don't do a track by track as has been said.

Again make sure you give yourself at least a few hours between writing and submission, it's ridiculous how many stupid mistakes and awkward phrasings can get by when you've just written it.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.