So I am a drummer/bassist who has dabbled (very poorly) in guitar, and have come to the conclusion, after much trial and error, that in order to write music, you really need to be able to play guitar. Meaning, I can't sit down and write lyrics to a drum pattern and then somehow try to explain to my buddy/guitarist how it should go. I need to have at least a foundation tune to offer.

I really want to write music and start a band, and I like the idea of playing guitar, I've just never had the money/time/motivation to put into it. It's the only instrument that I can't play fluidly.

So, since I never do anything half assed, I want to play the best gear for what I want to play. The musical sound/style I'm looking for is:

As I lay dying
Parkway drive
August burns red
War of ages
Blood runs black...to name a few.

I think most of the "hard" stuff I like falls under metalcore.

So I already got that the best amp for metalcore is a peavey 6505. What I need is a guitar suggestion, strings that play/sound good in drop c, and a pedal.

I appreciate any suggestions. Also, pretend that money is no problem.
If money is no issue then you could get an ESP Standard, Jackson USA, Ibanez J Custom, Schecter Japan, etc, etc.

Also if moeny is no issue then, and don't get me wrong I like Peavey but:

Mesa Mark V or Mesa Dual Rec > 6505

You need a solid budget if you want any realistic recommendations IMO
Ibanez? The dudes from August Burns Red use RGAs and they are probably the most talented out of all those bands. Plus RGAs are amazing. If not there's always a schecter. And string set will be fine. Just try which one feels best to you. And amp distortion should be fine for all that stuff on the 6150
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Go onto wikipedia, type in the name of your favourite guitarist, and look under the Gear list. Money isn't a problem?! Economic crisis dude.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Or maybe an ENGL amp.

Guitar wise: Ibanez, Jackson, LTD, Dean.

Any of the brands that make super strats with Humbuckers.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
By money is no problem I mean:

Amp $1000-$1500
Guitar $500-$1000
Pedal/Strings $500

... And thats just where I'm comfy. I can go higher.
I have to ask, how quickly are you expecting for this to pay off, it may take a fair while till you're writing guitar parts on par with august burns red etc
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
For an amp go for some sort of Marshall Valvestate for a gat i use an epiphone prophecy if your in to metal this is the best les paul out ther in my opinion and for strings i use ernie ball super slinkys which are sweet for drop tuning as i play lots of parkway drive ect..
I realize that this is a skill, not a hobby, and it can't be bought, but is instead earned. I simply have come to understand over the years, having learned drums, bass, piano, fiddle, harmonica, and a little mandolin, that if your serious about playing, having the right gear helps.

The bands I listed are just the metalcore I like off the top of my head. To be honest, and I hope I don't get booo'ed out of the room, Coheed and Cambria are my all time favorite band. I'm very eclectic. Metalcore is just what I'd like to play.
Last edited by rancor12 at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by rancor12

The bands I listed are just the metalcore I like off the top of my head. To be honest, and I hope I don't get booo'ed out of the room, Coheed and Cambria are my all time favorite band. I'm very eclectic. Metalcore is just what I'd like to play.

Regardless of what your interests are, there's going to be some elitist troll who thinks he's better than you.

Also some people might be jealous of your budget, but don't worry about them.

Honestly though the best advice I could give you is to look around the sites of some companies and see what you like.

Anything by Ibanez in the Prestige RG or S lines....(Though I would advise you against a trem since I'm not quite sure how much you're going to use it)
Anything in the ESP Standard line
If Jackson USA is too expensive, maybe some higher end Jackson MIJ would be a good alternative.

All of these companies have very different neck profiles, which is why it's hard to determine exactly what guitar is going to be right for you..

If you wanted my pure suggestion from an ESP fanboy standpoint,
the ESP Eclipse
or ESP Horizon NT-II

But I stand by my previous statement more.
Quote by rancor12
I realize that this is a skill, not a hobby, and it can't be bought, but is instead earned. I simply have come to understand over the years, having learned drums, bass, piano, fiddle, harmonica, and a little mandolin, that if your serious about playing, having the right gear helps.

COHEED AND CAMBRIA FTW!!!!!!!! ^_^

EDIT: Yea, Go ESP, i have one, i can play anything from Coheed to Suicide Silence
(ESP Eclipse II)
Padge from Bullet plays one every once in a while, and some really good hardcore bands play 'em too!
You cant go wrong with an Eclipse
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Last edited by therosa69 at Mar 25, 2011,
I hate these threads. You want to buy a 1k-1.5k guitar and dont have the knowledge of instruments enough to pick out a guitar yourself? perhaps your money would be better spent on buying some free time to get to know what makes tones distict and what makes them up so you dont have to be another brainless sheep that follows the flock of trendy tones
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by rancor12

I love you.

The best advice I have to give is to go to a store, and DON'T BUY ANYTHING YET.

Guitar is very personal, and chances are no two people will like exactly the same thing. You have to get to a store, try out everything there that catches your eye. If it's in your budget, play it. You should play at the very minimum 20 guitars, to try to find a neck profile that you like. There are so many different kinds, it's ridiculous, and everyone likes something different. Personally, I love the ESP Thin U neck. A lot of people like the Ibanez Wizard II, which is on the opposite side of the spectrum. Only you can know for yourself what you'll like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Guitar wise I would reccomend either an LTD, Ibanez, or Schecter for your pricerance.

1 grand will get you something like an LTD M-1007, LTD EC-1000, Schecter Blackjack ATX or Hellraiser avenger, or a low end Ibanez Prestige model.

The choice is yours really, you've got some great guitars to choose from, especially for your style of music.

If you would also like to play things like coheed from time to time, without sounding like ass, then go for the Ibanez'; they're a shittonne more versatile then the rest.
Although if you don't like paper thin necks Ibanez has, then go for a Schecter Tempest Custom or something like that.

EDIT: The best thing to do would probably be to just go out and try guitars, all we can do is point you in the right direction.

EDITEDIT: Tbh, I don't think it would be necessary for you to go any higher then $1000, or even $500 for that matter. Unless you have the intention of playing guitar live or taking it on as a serious hobby, its a waste of money to buy an instrument of that calibre.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Mar 25, 2011,
LTD EC1000 (or any of the other deluxe LTD's) - i personally use this and love it <3
PRS SE-custom 24 (might sound strange but the other guitarist in my 'metalcore' band uses this and the stock pickups have so much tone for those august burns red solo-like riffs)
Jackson Dinky
Jackson Soloist
ESP eclipse
Ibanez RGA
or any of the schecter c-1 style guitars, hellraiser, or blackjack. Schecter is a pretty safe bet regardless of what one haha

i'm not too sure on how much they are over in the US as i'm from the UK so apoligies if some of them are out of budget but you should definitely look into them

and for an amp i have a peavey jsx, and for me it's perfect for metalcore. Couldn't speak highly enough of them, ENGL's are pretty sick from what i've heard too, i've only ever played the powerball E645 which isn't very good for band use as it struggles to cut through the mix.
Quote by KYmonster
umm best setup for metalcore? how about no guitar, and no amp

Don’t forget the earplugs!
Quote by Sheepbane
I hate these threads. You want to buy a 1k-1.5k guitar and dont have the knowledge of instruments enough to pick out a guitar yourself? perhaps your money would be better spent on buying some free time to get to know what makes tones distict and what makes them up so you dont have to be another brainless sheep that follows the flock of trendy tones

Just to be clear...

I never said I want a 1k-1.5k guitar... good job with the quote. I said thats my budget. What I said I wanted was a guitar that will play well for the style of music I would like to play.

Also, I have all the time in the world to "get to know what makes tones distict and what makes them up", but I need a guitar to do that don't I? Theres no need to verify that all forums, no matter what topic, have poo poo heads on them.

If I were a "brainless sheep that follows the flock of trendy tones" I'd be out there buying a black sabbath song book and some signature guitar to try and make me feel like a pre-mature legend. Theres a reason I'm not asking for "What guitar would sound best for playing 'back in black' ".

Really, thanks for the advise though. I'll really take it to heart. have a good one.
Last edited by rancor12 at Mar 26, 2011,
Hi there,

I think it's worth noting, that your technique will play the largest part in acheiving a good metalcore sound. I wouldn't advise spending over $1k on your first guitar, because if you don't end up sticking with it, you'll find it hard to make all your money back.

I'd recommend a schecter for a beginner looking at writing metalcore, and as for spending all that money on an amp- once again, the issue is with the resale value, you might be better off getting something like a podxt.

I recorded this ep entirely with a podxt, a schecter c-1+, a cheap bass guitar and an sm58

Crown me King EP - on Soundcloud
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
Don't bother getting super high end gear for the sake of it.

Get yourself a decent tube amp ie. Peavey 6505+ 112/ Bugera 6262/ 333xl. A nice ESP/ LTD 401 series+ (or the 1000/1001), some nice cables, a Boss TU2 and a Boss NS2.

That really is all you need to spend. I've been playing 3 years and love metalcore, have a band on the horizon and will be gigging and don't even have all the gear I listed. Don't buy shit loads for the sake of having the best.
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Mar 26, 2011,
The 6505 head would be fine IF you're only playing metalcore. If not, you might want to consider an AxeFX Ultra, or a Mesa/ENGL.

Something nobody seems to have mentioned is the cab... Mesa cabs are pretty solid, as are Orange.

Guitars... I hate to repeat what everyone else's said, but Ibanez or ESP are your best bet, I think. Maybe take a look at these:

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGD321 - 26.5' scale, good for dropped tunings. Probably the guitar I'd go for if I was in your position, although you might want to swap the pickups for some EMG's.... which would be more money and hassle.

Or: http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/horizon-fr2.html? Not sure if you'd want a trem or hardtail?

I'm really not a huge fan of Schecters - their necks are REALLY fat. But, if you're not much of a shreddy kinda guy, then maybe give them a try. They're excellent guitars, at a fairly affordable prices.

But, of course, the key thing is whichever one feels right to you. Just go try them out.
if you're gonna get expensive gear then get used stuff so you can make your money back if you dont stick with it
Quote by Vacuity
if you're gonna get expensive gear then get used stuff so you can make your money back if you dont stick with it

+1.

For an amp, I have a 6505. While it is definitely a kick ass amp, it isn't very versatile and the same amp is used so much that the tone gets boring.
I have grown to need the extra versatility and I've kind of grown bored of the 6505's tone after hearing it on 90% of the albums I listen to. My suggestion, if you can spend $1500 on an amp, look for a used 2 channel Mesa Dual Rec and a Mesa 212.

As for guitars. I love Ibanez. I love them so much I have 3. They are all from the 90's though. One from 1990, one from 1997, and one from 1998. The reason being is that back in the 90's, Ibanez made the majority of thier guitars in Japan and with the same quality as the prestige models today. They also had better bridges back then, the Edge's and Lopro's are arguably better than OFR's. But, I have 2 S540's. They are basically the exact same guitar as the Prestige S5470 that's put out today but alot cheaper. I got both of my S540's basically mint used for $500-$600. Then my RG570, I got for $120 in kind of bad shape, but the new model of it, the RG1570 goes for about $1100.
Quote by anacrucix
Hi there,

I think it's worth noting, that your technique will play the largest part in acheiving a good metalcore sound. I wouldn't advise spending over $1k on your first guitar, because if you don't end up sticking with it, you'll find it hard to make all your money back.

I'd recommend a schecter for a beginner looking at writing metalcore, and as for spending all that money on an amp- once again, the issue is with the resale value, you might be better off getting something like a podxt.

I recorded this ep entirely with a podxt, a schecter c-1+, a cheap bass guitar and an sm58

Crown me King EP - on Soundcloud

What were you running your podxt through, as you mic'd it with an SM58?
Another one for the ESPs.

Even if you don't want to plunge for a new one, you could always get a used one, seeing as you are in the States. (right?)

Great guitars for heavy stuff, but also pretty good for everything else. They're professional guitars, expect nothing less.

I'm also a drummer who turned a guitarist and it got really addictive that I started selling my drum gear off for guitar gear. Now that I'm back with a permanent band, I've let go of a lot of my guitar gear for drum gear, but my ESP is for keeps.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Quote by rancor12
By money is no problem I mean:

Amp $1000-$1500
Guitar $500-$1000
Pedal/Strings $500

... And thats just where I'm comfy. I can go higher.
Then yeah, look around the used market for a decent amp. I saw a '95 Dual Rec two channel with a Mesa 4x12 cab go for $1400 a couple days ago online, I myself got a Single Rectifier and a Soldano cab for $1300. As for guitars, probably look at Ibanez and ESP, especially the S series and RGA Ibanez's, and pretty much any of the 1000 line of ESP LTDs (MH, H, EC, etc.)

As for pedals, you'll just want a noise gate and an overdrive/boost to get you started, so look for an ISP Decimator noise gate or Boss NS-2, along with one of the Ibanez or Maxon overdrives. Should suit your purpose perfectly. Happy playing bro