So I'm thinking of buying a delay pedal to explore different tonalities a little further. I'm quite the fan of this effect when used gracefully (the Heaven and Hell solo comes to mind, Dave Gilmour as well), but I've only had a go at some pre-built delays on some amps on rehearsal rooms, so my experience with delay stompboxes is actually null .

In any case, I'm quite the tone purist, and I'm rather happy with the tone I've got. I don't use many pedals (just an Ibanez Wah and an EH Electric-Mistress), and even the flanger is quite often not plugged in because it subtracts a little from this tone, only plugged in when needed. My question is: would the #1 Echo, being a digital delay, have a better chance at working for me than an analog delay?

I play both clean and distorted, which I've read can be a problem for analog delays. But at the same time I enjoy having a warm tone, which in my experience normally comes from analog pedals. If you guys could give me a few pointers on how analog delays differ from digital ones, I'd be very grateful! Long delay times are not so important for me, but tonality issues are.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by Garci
Long delay times are not so important for me, but tonality issues are.

this pretty much says you want analog. although digital (high end) are still fine!
mojostompboxes.com
I'd say it's a flavor, rather than a definite advantage, sort of proposition. Digital pedals are getting better and better at doing the analog sound, and analog certainly do have the drawbacks of fewer options (tap tempo, etc) and sounding odd with gain occasionally.

I think you need to go out and try a bunch. It sounds like you're excited about "tonality" but that's not a word that can be quantified or mean anything where digital vs. analog delays are concerned. If it's a good delay, it will have good tone. If you don't like the digital coldness or analog washout, whether or not it is a good pedal isn't relevant.
do you want your repeats to sit in the background filling out the sound? or do you want them to be very noticeable?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I've heard the Echo #1 can sound quite sterile. I would recommend an Analog Delay, especially for David Gilmour type stuff. What's your budget for a delay pedal?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
greeny23: Are there any good analog pedals you can recommend? I haven't seen much of those, but I'd sure like to know a few pointers

Roc8995: I know tone can't be quantified, I was talking more about "retaining the tone" rather than tarnishing it or worse, degenerating it. I will go out and try as much as I can though, so we'll see what I find

lbj273: I think I'd like them to be noticeable mostly. I wouldn't use it to simulate a reverb for example, but I'd like it a lot more if the delays are there, but not overtaking the clean sound. An actual echo, not so much as a repeater, if that makes any sense

Archer18: Really? I was hoping it would provide warm echo but not affecting the original signal, sterility sure would suck with it. As with greeny, could you please recommend an analog delay? My budget is around 100 bucks, give or take, but I'd push it 'til 150 maybe for a good pedal. Bear in mind that this is South America we're talking about, so the brand availability might be limited.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
something like a Malekko 616 could be nice for you. or a carbon copy. depends what is available.
mojostompboxes.com