Hey just wondering what kind of passive pickups would give a tone close to metallica for when I'm ready to upgrade. I think they use active emgs, but I don't really want to install actives. I know the pickups alone won't get the sound I'm looking for, but I know they can help.
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar
I've heard that they used Seymour Duncan Invaders (SH-8) on their first two albums. I can get a really good Metallica sound with Duncan TB-4s, too.
It can not be done. The planet will explode if you play Enter Sandman with passive pickups.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
get a nice set of emg 81/81 if you are desperate for theyre tone or 81/85 if you prefer a more versatile tone, the actives sound much nicer imo
Quote by gtrzrule4
Hey just wondering what kind of passive pickups would give a tone close to metallica for when I'm ready to upgrade. I think they use active emgs, but I don't really want to install actives. I know the pickups alone won't get the sound I'm looking for, but I know they can help.

They won't do much if anything to help with the gear that's in your sig.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ya your gear is pretty hurting. I think the best thing you could do is sell some junk and pick up a Vypyr 30watt for 200 bones. You'll be able to get a way better Metallica sound from that than buying pups for a Frontman
Why's everyone tossing actives at him after he said NOT to throw actives at him? XD Anyways, James used Seymour Duncan Invaders on Metallica's first two albums, but I'm thinking a new amp's more what you need, nothing against the Frontman but it gets really...fuzzy at high gain(which I love but isn't really Metallica). XD I guess you could try a Peavey Vypyr, I'm not a big fan of the Vypyr but it's generally a well-liked amp around here. I have a Digitech Metal Master distortion pedal, cost me $50CDN, and I've managed to get a good metal tone out of my crappy little Traynor DG15R(well, the cleans are okay if the treble's below 3 and the mids and bass are at 8 or 9, but otherwise...) with it. But...as for pickups, Invaders are what James used, haha. Kirk just used stock Gibson V pickups on the first two albums, I think(Dirty Fingers?).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Pac_man0123
^^ Only one person suggested active pickups, bro...

And I agree, a better amp will get you a hell of a lot closer to a Metallica tone than new pickups will in your situation.

Oh, whoops. o_o I thought I saw more than one. My bad. XD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
well i think ill stick w/ the pickups i have now and upgrade my gear. im definately not getting a new amp yet because im trying to expand on my pedals, not amps. Kirk uses a lot of Marshall heads and i dont think i can throw in a grand yet for a marshall anyway. I noticed he uses a line 6 dm4 distortion so maybe after i get a chorus, delay, etc ill look into that.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Assuming you would be installing them into a guitar other than the one in your sig and playing it through a different amp ( :p ) how about a set of Dimarzio D-Activators
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by gtrzrule4
well i think ill stick w/ the pickups i have now and upgrade my gear. im definately not getting a new amp yet because im trying to expand on my pedals, not amps. Kirk uses a lot of Marshall heads and i dont think i can throw in a grand yet for a marshall anyway. I noticed he uses a line 6 dm4 distortion so maybe after i get a chorus, delay, etc ill look into that.

Throwing more pedals at your amp won't help it sound much better, not to mention you already have quite a few pedals.

You don't need a Marshall just because Kirk used one (I think he uses Mesa Boogie now anyways)
Quote by Pac_man0123
Throwing more pedals at your amp won't help it sound much better, not to mention you already have quite a few pedals.

You don't need a Marshall just because Kirk used one (I think he uses Mesa Boogie now anyways)

Agreed on both counts, although on the other hand delay/chorus/tremolo etc effects can still be useful on any amp but distortions are a waste of time in my opinion.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Used amps go for less than you think. A used Marshall JCM2000 can easily go for ~600, which is a bargain.
It's not that my amp sounds bad clean, but the distortion is terrible. I think in the next year I'll look into getting a tube amp or tube half stack or something because I would rather get a tube amp with few effects then another combo even if it has a lot of effects.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
yeah i suggested active because he was looking for a metallica tone and its not that much effort to get them fitted cost me 30 quid i think
Quote by Mason 95
yeah i suggested active because he was looking for a metallica tone and its not that much effort to get them fitted cost me 30 quid i think

ok maybe ill look into that too
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
...I still don't understand your reasoning here. You're getting new pickups before a new amp because you want to get a specific tone? Do you know ANYTHING about how guitars and amps work? Sorry I sound like a dick, but this doesn't make any ****ing sense (and I haven't slept for a while).

A new/used amp, if it's the right one, will make you sound much more like Metallica, regardless of whatever pickups you use. Even if you used a FIRST ACT humbucker through a Marshall, it would sound more like Metallica than EMGs through a Frontman.
Quote by gtrzrule4
It's not that my amp sounds bad clean, but the distortion is terrible. I think in the next year I'll look into getting a tube amp or tube half stack or something because I would rather get a tube amp with few effects then another combo even if it has a lot of effects.

There are tube combos too BTW.
Quote by JesusCrisp
There are tube combos too BTW.

i was thinking that aswell lmao
Quote by Mason 95
i was thinking that aswell lmao

Yeah, but for beginners there are only 2 types of amps:

1000W tube halfstacks and those crappy combos you start with .... oh and they don't sound good, no matter what kind of combo.

Quote by trueamerican
...I still don't understand your reasoning here. You're getting new pickups before a new amp because you want to get a specific tone? Do you know ANYTHING about how guitars and amps work? Sorry I sound like a dick, but this doesn't make any ****ing sense (and I haven't slept for a while).

A new/used amp, if it's the right one, will make you sound much more like Metallica, regardless of whatever pickups you use. Even if you used a FIRST ACT humbucker through a Marshall, it would sound more like Metallica than EMGs through a Frontman.

Yeah, I realize that now... Read my most recent posts and you will see that I have changed reasonings. You obviously didn't read the whole thread. I was just looking to upgrade my pickups to get a better sound but i wanted pickups that work well when playing metallica and bands like them. I think I'm getting the idea that a new amp would get me a lot closer to the sound that I want, I just don't understand what the new amp will do. I know if I got a tube combo, my tone would sound better, but most tube amps only have clean, overdrive, and reverb, so shouldn't I be looking for effects rather than a new amp? Also, the Peavey Vypyr could get me the sound i want but its terrible for playing live since it only has like 4 presets so you would have to go back and change settings inbetween songs.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Quote by JesusCrisp
Yeah, but for beginners there are only 2 types of amps:

1000W tube halfstacks and those crappy combos you start with .... oh and they don't sound good, no matter what kind of combo.

I don't know what your even talking about. Of course I know that there are tube combos and solid state combos, but I am thinking about getting a tube half stack though so I can continue to build off of that if I need to. I just accidently worded it wrong so I think you got the wrong idea. Oh yea also for your information, I have been playing electric guitar for 4 years and acoustic even longer, so I don't think you can exactly call me a beginner.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Last edited by gtrzrule4 at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by gtrzrule4
Yeah, I realize that now... Read my most recent posts and you will see that I have changed reasonings. You obviously didn't read the whole thread. I was just looking to upgrade my pickups to get a better sound but i wanted pickups that work well when playing metallica and bands like them. I think I'm getting the idea that a new amp would get me a lot closer to the sound that I want, I just don't understand what the new amp will do. I know if I got a tube combo, my tone would sound better, but most tube amps only have clean, overdrive, and reverb, so shouldn't I be looking for effects rather than a new amp? Also, the Peavey Vypyr could get me the sound i want but its terrible for playing live since it only has like 4 presets so you would have to go back and change settings inbetween songs.

Bra - you are showing your huge inexperience with guitar stuff.

You need 1-3 channels (presets) at most. Clean, distortion, lead distortion. Usually 2 channels, clean and distortion will get it done, because you have a few pedals to get a little extra gain/volume for leads. When you play live, you use those 1-3 channels, and there is no changing live. Maybe you'll tweak a knob after a song, but you're not running back and forth to get a better sound for 1 song.

You get a few tones you like, and stick with that. When recording, thats a little different. No one gives a shit what you're guitar sounds like live, generally speaking. Just that you can play it.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Bra - you are showing your huge inexperience with guitar stuff.

You need 1-3 channels (presets) at most. Clean, distortion, lead distortion. Usually 2 channels, clean and distortion will get it done, because you have a few pedals to get a little extra gain/volume for leads. When you play live, you use those 1-3 channels, and there is no changing live. Maybe you'll tweak a knob after a song, but you're not running back and forth to get a better sound for 1 song.

You get a few tones you like, and stick with that. When recording, thats a little different. No one gives a shit what you're guitar sounds like live, generally speaking. Just that you can play it.

Trust me I know a lot about guitar stuff, I just don't like the idea of getting another amp just to get effects. I'd rather just work with a clean and overdrive channel and add pedals as needed. All I really wanted to know in the first place was if I changed pickups, what would sound best for rock like metallica, but everyone started saying I should just upgrade gear. I'm currently trying to put together a pedal board anyway and possibly upgrade pickups this summer. Thats the whole reason I came up with this thread. I know my amp is not the best, but I only had 200 bucks at the time and needed a high wattage amp to play at church, so I figured I could add on effects later and get a better amp(tube amp) in the future.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Last edited by gtrzrule4 at Mar 27, 2011,
You'll have to do some research of your own, but from my understanding a Miracle Man from Bare Knuckle is supposed to sound like a passive EMG 81.
Quote by Ghostmaker
You'll have to do some research of your own, but from my understanding a Miracle Man from Bare Knuckle is supposed to sound like a passive EMG 81.

Don't suggest a ~$300 pickup to a guy who just said he has a small budget for an amp.

Anyhow, the reasoning behind getting a new amp over a set of pickups is that pickups effect your sound quality FAR less than a decent amp. And decent does not mean $1000 half stack - there is a lot in between.

You could look at a mid sized Peavy Vypyr, Line 6 Bogner Mk II, Jet City amps (you can get a 20w head + 2x12 for like $350 - loud enough to play small gigs), or a Marshall AVT used w/ 4x12 for about $350 as well. All of these options will get you a lot closer to nailing good tones than any set of pickups.
You could get a Peavey Windsor, which would work.

And effects don't help shit if your amp sounds like ass. I'd rather not have even a distortion pedal and have a good amp than a shitty amp with all the effects I need.

Your priorities are off. Effects NEVER go before amps. Guitar and amps are a little more complicated. For bedroom players, the guitar is more important (but not the pickups) and if you gig regularly then an amp is more important.

BUT EVEN IF YOU PLAY NOTHING BUT SATRIANI EFFECTS COME LAST! And, it seems like the only effect Kirk knows how to use is wah.
Ya man you've definitely got your priorities messed up. Trueamerican is right... there's absolutely no point putting pedals infront of a Frontman. Your RG120 combined with a Vypyr (which has a shit load of effects that can be saved on 12 present and will sound better than pedals through a Frontman) will get your Metallica sound done. Personally, your equipment is so mediorce I'd get rid of everything in your current rig cept the RG and I would buy a used Vypyr, whatever wattage you can afford. This is by far the best move you could do. Don't worry about buying some 1000 dollar tube amp. It's pointless/stupid unless you're a very experienced musician or someone who tours frequently to large crowds, even then...
you'll barely even notice a different changing your pickups unless you have really high quality equipment
Quote by Bhaok
It can not be done. The planet will explode if you play Enter Sandman with passive pickups.

LOL ...

Moving on...

Try out the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position (killer sound, high output).
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Don't suggest a ~$300 pickup to a guy who just said he has a small budget for an amp.

Anyhow, the reasoning behind getting a new amp over a set of pickups is that pickups effect your sound quality FAR less than a decent amp. And decent does not mean $1000 half stack - there is a lot in between.

You could look at a mid sized Peavy Vypyr, Line 6 Bogner Mk II, Jet City amps (you can get a 20w head + 2x12 for like $350 - loud enough to play small gigs), or a Marshall AVT used w/ 4x12 for about $350 as well. All of these options will get you a lot closer to nailing good tones than any set of pickups.

Yeah thanks a lot for helping me out. I think I thought that I knew a lot more then I actually did. I think in my case I'll keep my effects since they may be helpful in the future, but for my b-day I think I'll ask for some kind of tube amp and sell my old one and now I know that that will make my tone a lot better.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals