Okay, so I want to record a song right..

I want to have drums, bass, guitar and vocals.

I don't know which one to record/start with first.
I'll be using Audacity.
(It's not going to be a professional recording, just myself finally being able to say, hey I have a full song)
How would I go about recording this? Suggestions? Tips, etc?

I'm a beginner at recording/mixing, whatever too, just so you all know.
I would really appreciate some help.

I know some will recommend Reaper, but I don't like it, and I'm not familiar with it. It's pretty hard to use. (For me)
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Here's what I typically do:

create a very simple drum track. This is for the purpose of keeping good rhythm throughout the song and not losing your place. It's better than playing over a click track IMO, because you just get a better feel for the song.

Then I record the rhythm guitar. Then the vox, and then the bass. After that I'll redo the drums with how I actually want it to sound.

Hope this helps. This is just how I do things, and it's not always an exact procedure. Especially since I typically use a VST bass or something like that.
Quote by boxcarguy07
Here's what I typically do:

create a very simple drum track. This is for the purpose of keeping good rhythm throughout the song and not losing your place
. It's better than playing over a click track IMO, because you just get a better feel for the song.

Then I record the rhythm guitar. Then the vox, and then the bass. After that I'll redo the drums with how I actually want it to sound.

Hope this helps. This is just how I do things, and it's not always an exact procedure. Especially since I typically use a VST bass or something like that.

That's probably the biggest problem I was going to have. Thanks a lot. It helped.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Um, I don't have a Iphone or whatever it is you need.

And doesn't it cost money?
I like free things.

Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Why does IK have an account here, isnt that flat out advertising?

But I learned its best to do a pretty simple drum beat, then do bass, then rhythym guitar. After that, do vox and finally lead guitar. Re-do your drum beat to what it should on then worry about sound quality and effects (of the drum kit).

EDIT: Reaper's demo is unlimited and doesnt end. IF you don't mind the 5 second message at the beggining, you dont have to pay. I usually just set up in that time anyways.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Last edited by nowa90 at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by IK Obi
Reaper is a great alternative and at 40 bucks something that is very affordable. The demo is also unrestricted. I recommended it because you can do more with it than Audacity.

Yeah but for something that is unable to pay for things online, Audacity is much more easier.
Also all I want to do is record. I don't care for any other effects or anything. Just flat out recording.

But I learned its best to do a pretty simple drum beat, then do bass, then rhythym guitar. After that, do vox and finally lead guitar. Re-do your drum beat to what it should on then worry about sound quality and effects (of the drum kit).

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to do that. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16