is there a difference other than volume?

or does it tonally effect the way you sound?

if i mic a 2x12 cab and a 4x12 cab would you be able to tell the differencE?

what i'm asking is would having a 4x12 make an amp sound different than having a 2x12... other than the obvious volume increase?
main difference is 2 speakers.

louder, harder to move around, little bit thicker.

i like 2x12's better.

if you mic it, its all the same in the end..
mojostompboxes.com
There is a bit of a tonal difference.

Mostly, a 4x12 projects more and disperses sound better. A 4x12 will also sound slightly louder, though arguably if you're turning up a half stack above 2-3, volume will cease to matter anyway.

If you're mic'd up it doesn't make a difference though. The differences all only matter unmic'd.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
its 2 speakers versus 4...main difference is price, volume, and weight/portability
Quote by Offworld92
There is a bit of a tonal difference.

Mostly, a 4x12 projects more and disperses sound better. A 4x12 will also sound slightly louder, though arguably if you're turning up a half stack above 2-3, volume will cease to matter anyway.

If you're mic'd up it doesn't make a difference though. The differences all only matter unmic'd.

thyanks for your awesome answer. everything ineeded to know
Get an oversized 2x12. Best of both worlds.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
412- More bass, thicker, slightly louder, bigger, heavier, easier to listen as it projects sound at your head (angled ones)
212- Less bass, slightly quieter, smalelr, easier to carry, slightly harder to listen to in a mix.
With greater internal volume (amount of space, not loudness) a 4x12 might have more low end. But, some 2x12s have more bass (or more boomy bass) than some 4x12s, even with the same speakers. The resonant frequency of the cab comes into play. I currently have a customer who is experiencing too much bass with his 2x12, so I'm installing a low-cut switch for him.

Also, a slant 4x12 will disperse the sound upward more, obviously, so it will sound brighter to your ears when you're standing in front of it. If you're close-micing it, there won't be much difference in the mic'd sound, but the differences in stage sound remain.
Bruce Clement
BC Audio Hand Crafted Performance
Unless you use a room microphone as well as a cone microphone, a 4x12 will only give you a minimal change in "feel" than a 1x12.

I should clarify, actually, that for live purposes or just jamming with a band, neither a 4x12 or a 2x12 are the better choices. It really is a matter of experimenting with your set-up and finding what works best for you and your band.