This has been a persistent problem to me with all guitars I've owned. Just 5 seconds ago I was tuning from Standard E down to Drop C(modular?)[CGCFAC] on my acoustic and while tuning the D string down it snapped at the tuning knob. This had happened to me before, again on the same guitar while tuning from EADGBE to EBBF#BE and the G broke while going down to F#.

This also happens on a very nice electric, if I decide to tune from standard E to D.

I don't get it.

Short story:
Strings break (mostly D and G) at the tuning knob, while tuning DOWN. It doesn't make any sense and its pissing me off.
It might be something to do with the way you wind the strings at the tuning peg, I used to have this problem myself, then I started doing it the "proper" way and it stopped happening.
MWAHAHAHHA! I've put razors on your tuning pegs. Oh, now you know my secret... *jumps out window*
Well, the problem may be that you're not putting enough of the string on the tuning peg itself. There should be at least 3 coils around the peg, and on the smaller strings even a few more coils.
That's the thing. I'm putting strings on the way my dad taught me and he NEVER broke strings. He told me the last time he broke a string was in the 80's. He's been playing guitar since the 1960's.

I'm using Elixir .13's, as well. And yet, those are the ones that are breaking all the time. I'd go out and buy a pack of strings from my local store and they'd last longer than these.
Do you have a floating bridge? Tuning a floating bridge down can increase tension on the other strings, so the increase in tension followed by the change in tension can cause the string to break.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
My electric has a regular bridge. The Acoustic is just like any other acoustic.
Elixirs have always had problems with random snapping, especially with their acoustic strings, I would buy some D'Addario EXP strings, much better than Elixirs, and last just as long.

The way you wind the string can also have an effect, but I highly doubt it, if the string is breaking at the tuning peg, then it's a problem with the string itself.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Elixirs have always had problems with random snapping, especially with their acoustic strings, I would buy some D'Addario EXP strings, much better than Elixirs, and last just as long.

The way you wind the string can also have an effect, but I highly doubt it, if the string is breaking at the tuning peg, then it's a problem with the string itself.

I had used D'Addario strings, not sure if they were EXP.

Any advice on more durable strings, then? I'm constantly changing tunings, and it seems like that's really having an effect on my strings.
Quote by Peow
I had used D'Addario strings, not sure if they were EXP.

Any advice on more durable strings, then? I'm constantly changing tunings, and it seems like that's really having an effect on my strings.

D'Addario, I've been using them for years, and I change tunings alot too, and I've never had one snap on me, except for that time I over tightened the high e on accident.

The EXP ones are coated like Elixirs, but it's a much thinner coating, so it feels like an uncoated string, but it doesn't get fuzzy after a while and lasts just as long as any Elixir will.
Quote by JD Close
MWAHAHAHHA! I've put razors on your tuning pegs. Oh, now you know my secret... *jumps out window*

wat