can I have a regular EMG (81) with a X Series one (60X)? the 60X was given to me for my birthday, i did want he 60 but they got the 60x for whatever reason. can i still use it with the normal one or not?
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yes, it's just the X will sound much better than the original when using the 9 volt mode.

Better is really subjective, so you shouldn't say that. EMG's are hard to beat at what they do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ok sweet, will the 60X sound "better" compared the the normal 60 then?
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Run both the normal in 18V mode and the X in 9V.

The X's are basically pups that sound on 9V the way regular EMG's sound on 18V.
EDIT: If your sig is your current gear, it will sound like crap on a spider.
Active pickups are designed for all tube/ hybrid amps.
You will notice only a slight improvement in tone on a GOOD ss amp. On a spider......a post by someone on this forum comes to mind-
"Anything before a Spider on the Insane setting is useless. That often includes the guitar".
]
Active pups (usually) sound good only if the pre amp section has tubes. Else you get lots of clipping. On an SS amp, it sounds horrid.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 26, 2011,
The X series needs the Active tone pot or it wont work. Unless you don't use a tone.. Just saying
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Run both the normal in 18V mode and the X in 9V.

The X's are basically pups that sound on 9V the way regular EMG's sound on 18V.
EDIT: If your sig is your current gear, it will sound like crap on a spider.
Active pickups are designed for all tube/ hybrid amps.
You will notice only a slight improvement in tone on a GOOD ss amp. On a spider......a post by someone on this forum comes to mind-
"Anything before a Spider on the Insane setting is useless. That often includes the guitar".
]
Active pups (usually) sound good only if the pre amp section has tubes. Else you get lots of clipping. On an SS amp, it sounds horrid.

i agree to a point :/, EMG's imo are sterile but thats why i like them, really clean cleans and really harsh gainage however i wouldnt say theyre designed for a tube/hybrid amp i personally think thats just bull

i mean im geussing these would saound immense through a roland jazz chorus on clean and i bet my right nut theyd sound good on a warhead

that said though they wont sound great on a spider, iv heard some people not being able to get em working on a spider for some wierd reason. so as i said i do agree with GS you do need a better amp to get them sounding how they shud i just disagree that the sole creation idea of emg's was tube/hybrids i think they were made to cater for people that like straight forward sounds as opposed to the different sounds you can get out of passives

/rant

EDIT: before everyone start hating on the spider i own, seriously dont, i would have a decent tube amp but bills messed that one up
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Last edited by mikeb2817 at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by mikeb2817
i agree to a point :/, EMG's imo are sterile but thats why i like them, really clean cleans and really harsh gainage however i wouldnt say theyre designed for a tube/hybrid amp i personally think thats just bull

i mean im geussing these would saound immense through a roland jazz chorus on clean and i bet my right nut theyd sound good on a warhead

that said though they wont sound great on a spider, iv heard some people not being able to get em working on a spider for some wierd reason. so as i said i do agree with GS you do need a better amp to get them sounding how they shud i just disagree that the sole creation idea of emg's was tube/hybrids i think they were made to cater for people that like straight forward sounds as opposed to the different sounds you can get out of passives

/rant

EDIT: before everyone start hating on the spider i own, seriously dont, i would have a decent tube amp but bills messed that one up

well if my memory serves me right metallica and bullet for my valentine use roland jazz chorus for cleans yet also use emgs in their guitars.
Quote by M_16A
ok sweet, will the 60X sound "better" compared the the normal 60 then?

in my opinon, yes. And no, I havent tried the 60's, but I have owned a pair of 85X/81X, and i have to say, I miss them. They are the only pups that Ive played that TRULY impressed me.
Quote by guitarpatrick66
well if my memory serves me right metallica and bullet for my valentine use roland jazz chorus for cleans yet also use emgs in their guitars.

not sure about metallica as im quite sure they use some uber expensive amp

they may have i dunno

but yeh bfmv one of their guitarists definately does

so when people tell you emg's will sound shit threw an ss tell em up theres lol :d

they wont sound great through the spider though, but hey who cares, atleast youve got them for when you do upgrade

you will notice a massive difference when you move to a better amp and they will really come alive

EDIT: thought you were the TS my bad lol
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Quote by guitarpatrick66

Prolly, the Roland Jazz Chours is a SS amp that can be rivaled to the cleans of a Fender Twin Reverb.

EMG's sound just fine though SS amps, not your cheap SS amps, but $1000 and up SS amps and you can tell a world of difference. EMG's don't really run hot enough to clip your preamp that much, I'm guessing they can't have more output than a Rock Monkey Beef Bucker(25k) and that pickup sounds beautiful on the clean channel.
Actually, active pickups were designed for SS amps, as they were originally designed for jazz players.

And I hate to have to keep saying it: its really not about tube or SS. It's all about headroom.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Actually, active pickups were designed for SS amps, as they were originally designed for jazz players.

And I hate to have to keep saying it: its really not about tube or SS. It's all about headroom.

stop killing our misconceptions.