Ninety-five-year-old Leeland Davidson discovered recently that he's not considered a U.S. citizen, despite living nearly 100 years in the country and serving in the U.S. Navy during WWII.

Davidson, from Centralia, Washington, told KOMO News that he discovered he wasn't a U.S. citizen when he was turned down for an enhanced driver's license he needed for a trip to Canada to visit relatives.

"We always figured because he was born to U.S. parents he's automatically a U.S. citizen," said Davidson's daughter, Rose Schoolcraft.

Davidson was born in British Columbia in 1916, but his parents didn't register the birth with the U.S. government to ensure they knew he was a citizen. He checked up on his citizenship before joining the Navy and was told by an inspector at the U.S. Department of Labor Immigration and Naturalization Service he had nothing to worry about. Now he worries that he won't be able to prove his citizenship, because his parents were born in Iowa before local governments started keeping records of birth certificates in 1880. "I want it squared away before I pass away," he says.

Schoolcraft says they tried to dissuade him from pursuing the matter. Employees at the local passport office scared them, telling her father "If he pursued it, (he could) possibly be deported or [be] at risk of losing Social Security."

"We keep telling him, leave it alone, leave it alone, and he won't, like a dog with a bone," Schoolcraft told the Centralia Chronicle. But Davidson says: "I want to get it done before I die." He also still wants to visit his friends and family in Canada. Sen Patty Murray's office is helping him with his application.

Opinions?

Link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110324/us_yblog_thelookout/wwii-vet-discovers-hes-not-a-u-s-citizen
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Mar 25, 2011,
old.

lolpun
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Personally, if you life in the U.S for that long, and risked your life fighting in the U.S military and defending western freedom, you should be granted U.S citizenship. There shouldn't even be a question about it.
sigh...
Deport the freeloader! Fucking illegal immigrants stealing our tax money and sending it home to their filthy foreign families.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by Zoot Allures
This. The man on faux news said so and therefore it must be right.

AMEN BROTHER.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Born to two US citizens outside US? Automatic US citizen.

Who cares?
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Where the **** would they even deport him?

Mexico.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I always felt that we should have a policy in place that if you want to be a citizen you just need to join our military and serve a minimum number of years. I'm pretty sure this guy has served our country far more than most of us, hopefully the gov will see it and have the common sense to grant him citizenship.
They took my job!

Fking deport him now.
Last edited by Steel8909 at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by PlayMadness
Deport the freeloader! Fucking illegal immigrants stealing our tax money and sending it home to their filthy foreign families.

This. I can't believe the US tolerates such absolute scroungers: they really need to toughen up their immigration policy to keep such people out.
What the **** is wrong with the world today, just give the guy his damn well earned citizenship.
pinga
say hes melted now
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by Cb4rabid
What the **** is wrong with the world today, just give the guy his damn well earned citizenship.

But he's not a citizen, I hope he and his family get deported back to were they came from. Dirty immigrants, f*cking up our economy even more.
I thought fighting in a war automatically granted you citizenship?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by SlayingDragons
But he's not a citizen, I hope he and his family get deported back to were they came from. Dirty immigrants, f*cking up our economy even more.

I seriously wonder how many more times this joke can be made in this thread.
I have to ask, how did no one realize this for 95 years?

But yeah, at this point, if I worked in a citizenship approvement place (no idea what they're called, what you have to do etc. nor do I care at the moment) I'd just approve his citizenship without making him take a test or anything. Dude's earned it.
I don't know the law of nuthin', but surely after all this time squatters rights come into play?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

god damn, he owes 95 years worth of taxes. pay taxes or gtfo. this is ridiculous. i feel ashamed living in a country where we let illegal immigrants live here for 95 years and we give them weapons and retirement money for no reason
Where could they deport him? He isn't a citizen of any country.

Edit: it didn't say anywhere that he didn't pay taxes, so we can assume he did. After all, he probably would have realized he wasn't a citizen earlier if he wasn't paying tax.
Last edited by kilbie at Mar 25, 2011,
I might have to write a letter.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Cb4rabid

This.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by izbbass
Born to two US citizens outside US? Automatic US citizen.

this. all you fags complaining about taxes and calling this guy an immigrant freeloader need to stfu, this guy fought for your rights and deserves respect. he's way more of a citizen than you.