For a while I've had this same problem - my distortion gets weak for a while. Once again this happens using different amps (even solid state ones), different cables, using distortion pedals etc. I've explored this problem very thouroughly.

I noticed something today that I never really noticed before. After letting my amp warm up and playing on clean for a bit. I then proceeded to switch to my main distortion channel and got the best distortion its ever had, so I experimented by playing one riff over and over again after seeing that nothing was changing, I muted all the strings with my hand, Then Played that riff again and there it was, It was alot weaker after muting. So I tried again and it was even weaker. I was still getting a "good sound" but the last one had NOTHING on the last.

Any Ideas???
KING DIAMOND LOVES OLD LADIES
I got the exact same problem and its ****ing annoying. it wont even have any distortion anymore. it sucks.
Quote by TheShredifi
I got the exact same problem and its ****ing annoying. it wont even have any distortion anymore. it sucks.

Oh my gosh, and I thought I had it bad...It's terrible that we're not rich enough to go buy a all new setup!
KING DIAMOND LOVES OLD LADIES
Loose pickup wire, faulty pickups, shit solders on pots, or the toggle switch?
That's all that really comes to mind.

If you're skilled with wires, wire clippers, and soldering, then snip every wire off at the solder -inside your guitar, and resolder everything yourself. Its a little drastic, but if that doesn't work then you can narrow it down to the pickups themselves. Just don't snip all the wires off at the same time...

As a sidenote: you could also try setting your pickups a little closer to the strings, see if that makes a difference. I doubt this is it though.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Mar 25, 2011,