Hey guys.

So, I fell in LOVE with the Epiphone Prophecy EM-2 FX. It's got all I've been looking for.

But my question is. Since these EpiActives, can also be used as passives. Could I be able to switch them out to SD Invaders??

Thanks!
If you're switching pickups out you can do whatever you like as long as you make sure they're wired with pots and caps to suit. If you don't understand that stuff then take it to your local tech and get him/her to do it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The problem is I don't know how this active-to-passive system works. And I hear that the pickups in this thing are HORRIBLE. So I'd like to replace them with the Invaders. Anyone know anything about these pups??
Lots of people don't like Invaders, including me. They're very dark, so if you're playing through a dark amp, it's going to be awful. You should try out a similar guitar to the Epi with Invaders through the amp you have at home to see if you like them.

And you'll have to get new pots and everything.
Then it's just to much hassle. Besides I don't have that much money!

Can you guys recommend me a sub $350 guitar so I can put SD Distortion and Invaders??
Quote by Output
Then it's just to much hassle. Besides I don't have that much money!

Can you guys recommend me a sub $350 guitar so I can put SD Distortion and Invaders??

What happened to: "So, I fell in LOVE with the Epiphone Prophecy EM-2 FX. It's got all I've been looking for."?

You can always replace pickups later. Replacing a guitar body may be a little different. Feel is the most important thing; just save up a bit and buy new pickups later. I just don't understand why you'd buy a guitar so you could put Invaders in there (which most people think are awful, by the way).
yes, it's all I've been looking for! (awesome body shape, nice finish, and specially the OFR) But since I don't know if I have to replace the pots. I just don't know if it's what i'm looking for D:

ANd I like invaders What other pup would you recommend? (SD) to go with the DIstortion? And why don't you like invaders?
Last edited by Output at Mar 26, 2011,
As I said, they're really dark. I don't like their tone. You can like them, that's fine, but don't disregard a guitar that you really like just because you want to put a different pickup in it and you don't know how. If you like the pickup, put it in your guitar.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=seymour+duncan+invader&_sacat=See-All-Categories

There's an ebay list of used SD Invaders. Much cheaper than new, so you have enough money to get them installed as well.
Thanks!! Also, I got one question. Can I put the DiMarzio Super DIstortion with the Duncan DIstortion?
Quote by Output
Thanks!! Also, I got one question. Can I put the DiMarzio Super DIstortion with the Duncan DIstortion?

Yeah, you can. The brand doesn't matter, as long as they're both passive/active.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
hahaha ok another question. Is the FR on the EM2 FX floating? or body flush? (floating: you can dive bomb and pull up. Body Flush: can only dive bomb)

The picture I saw looks like it's floating, just click on EM-2, then FX and then on details, click on 5 for the pic: http://www.epiphone.com/prophecy/default.html

But this link begs to differ: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/39838-epiphone-em-2-prophecy-custom-fx.html
Last edited by Output at Mar 26, 2011,
AFAIK floating is just the type of tremolo. It can only pull up more than a little bit if it's recessed.
Oh ok, thanks! I learned something new but that didn't really answer my question is the guitar's body recessed or not?
If there's a hole right under the floyd, it's recessed. Body flush means the trem would be resting on the body (afaik). The Em-2 FX is recessed.
Last edited by 1010011010 at Mar 26, 2011,
The bridge on the EM-2 FX is recesse so it can be pulled up. Remember though that that also makes it a bit more of a pain to set up, restring, keep in tune and a lot of people find it weakens the general tone and sustain.

As for the pickups, wait until you have the guitar and can try the pickups first. You might like them as they are. You seem to be after high output pickups and don't sound too fussy about the actual type, so the active Epiphone pickups will probably do you fine. As far as I know they are actually installed with regular 500k pots because they don't work like other active pickups do which need 50k or 25k pots, so you could replace them with regular passive pickups if you really wanted to, but like I said you should actually give them a try before you worry about replacing them. Even fi you did have to replace the pots that's a really easy task, pots are dirt cheap and there's no more work involved in replacing pots and pickups at the same time than there is compared to only replacing the pickups, since everytign has to be soldered all the same regardless.

If you do end up going for passive pickups, the Inavder, SD Distortion and Dimarzio Super Distortion are some of the worst you could pick out anyway. It sounds liek you don't really know what you want out of your pickups other than high output and in my experience the people who only want high output are also the ones that don't relaly know what the point of high output is or have amps that can actually make use of it.

What's your amp, what's the sort of tone you're looking for? What's your playing style? If you give us more info then we can suggest more suitable pickups for you.
Bugera V22. I'm looking for versatility. Smashing Distorted and equally same Cleans. I'm influenced by Metallica, Foo Fighters, Avenged Sevenfold, Nirvana, AC/DC. But mostly Metallica, Green Day and AC/DC.
Bugeras are pretty dark amps, so I wouldn't recommend those high output pickups, and from what you said you wanted to play, I don't think you need them. Metallica uses EMGs, Foo Fighters are Burstbuckers IIRC, Avenged Sevenfold *shudder*, Nirvana had shitty tone anyway, and Angus Young has a signature humbucker.

Honestly, I give the Epi pickups a shot, and then if you still want to change, a PAF in the neck, and a semi-hot pickup in the bridge will do you fine for versatility.
Thanks you so much!! You've been VERY helpful! definitely gonna give them a shot! Thanks!