Hey I just got an Ibanez DT120 and wanted to possibly make a pickguard for it. Obviously there aren't any groups that make pickguards for this model, so I'd have to cut it myself.

So in essence, what should I know to not waste money and time? Thanks in advance!
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
You can get blank pickguard material online or at most local guitar stores. It's not all that expensive, usually $10-20. It usually takes a small saw to cut, i use a scroll saw but anything from a coping saw to a jigsaw will do. One of the hardest things to do is bevel the edge. I've got a dremel tool set up to do this but usually it's lots of careful sanding to take the top edge down. You will also need to be careful when drilling for the screw holes. I'd drill pilot holes first with a fine drill bit that is the same width as your screw minus the thread. I'ts a good idea to drill the holes in the pickguard first and then stick it down to the body and use it as a guide to place the holes in the body.
Do you also countersink the screw holes?
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Thanks a bunch man, I'll have to get a good template done before ordering materials then!
LTD EC-1000 VB
KFG Custom

Marshall AVT 275
Leave the protective covering on, add masking tape over everything, and work from the back side during construction. One slip of a tool and you start over. Wet sand sawn edge with 600 thru 1500 grit on a wood block to refine and polish the edge. Good luck.