Page 1 of 2
I've been searching all the archives for over an hour re: Frontman 212R

I don't think I've heard any GOOD things?
I'm looking into buying one tomorrow and now I'm having 2nd thoughts
Has anyone had anything GOOD with the Frontman 212R??
How long have they been around?
................................................................................

My 'ol Crate G20 solidstate has been acting up lately...about 2 hours into practice...the volume just isn't there? (usually when I have to go into a solo).
I cranked all volume controls and still could barely hear myself above the other guys in the band?

So I switched channels on it tonight and got volume back on the SCGain channel.
When I flipped back to the original channel..the volume was back?
Do these 'ol S.S. amps do this now and then?
It ain't gonna cut it at our 1st gig if this happens!! >8-(
No, it's a bad amp and you can get better for the money. Please answer the following questions.

Budget?
Genres?
New/Used?
Gigging?
Nearest Major City?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Quote by Major Sparky
No, it's a bad amp and you can get better for the money. Please answer the following questions.

Budget?
Genres?
New/Used?
Gigging?
Nearest Major City?

Yes, I saw those in the "Sticky".
$400
Blues/Rock
New
Soon
Hartford, CT.
Quote by jbag
Yes, I saw those in the "Sticky".
$400
Blues/Rock
New
Soon
Hartford, CT.

Are you sure you don't want to buy used? You could get a Peavey Classic 30 which was once one of the most popular recommendations on here.

For new you could get a Peavey Valveking. It'll suit you decently but will sound better with upgrades.

A Fender Blues Junior could also work pretty well assuming you don't need to much gain.

A JCA20 would work great as well.

Honestly with your budget there are enough decent low watt tube heads and combos that you shouldn't be looking into solid state. Most of them do what you want pretty well too. Just be careful that you get one with enough headroom for what you play.

EDIT:
Peavey Classic 30 Theres a Classic 30 for a very reasonable price.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Last edited by Major Sparky at Mar 26, 2011,
i got one the other day, fresh out of the box and the reverb dosent work, no reverb, so i'm gonna trade it in for another because they are loud and have an amazing clean channel and everybody i've met who has one has said theyre nothing but awesome, i believe it i went to a show the other week and some guy played thru one and it was amazing, rock n roll
Quote by marshmellow666
i got one the other day, fresh out of the box and the reverb dosent work, no reverb, so i'm gonna trade it in for another because they are loud and have an amazing clean channel and everybody i've met who has one has said theyre nothing but awesome, i believe it i went to a show the other week and some guy played thru one and it was amazing, rock n roll

I'm going to have to disagree with all of what he just said. The Frontman has passable cleans for a beginners practice amp, but nothing like true fender cleans. And the drive is just horrible.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
A former bandmate of mine used this amp. It has terrible tone with almost any settings and I honestly think it gets worse the louder it gets, despite it's 100W tag. The cleans are decent at best, but can't hold a candle to anything over the price of $250, and the drive channel is just absolutely horrible.

Just my $0.02.
Last edited by Immora at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by marshmellow666

This is pretty much all wrong lol

But anyways they arent that bad and they take pedals better than any ss amp ive played other than a rocktron vendetta.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
They aren't the worst amp out there, but for $400, you can get an amp that will sound much better. For blues rock I would add:
Carvin Nomad
Carvin XV112
Laney VC30 or 15

All great amps IMO and do what you want very well.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I owned one. They are not that great. Cleans are decent and they are a good platform for something like a MFX pedal (which is what I did). The onboard distortion for Rock and Blues however is not very good.

Here are some things I would consider along with that Classic 30.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2287558633.html Fender Bandmaster
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2287219717.html Fender Blues Deville
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2282980211.html Bugera V22
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2276364726.html Mesa 50 Cal+
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2274995993.html Fender Deville
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2274414911.html Marshall JTM60
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2273030471.html Fender SuperChamp
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2272961704.html Sovtek Mig (needs cab)
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2271330056.html Epi Blues Custom
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2270278196.html Univox 112
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2231033759.html Fender Blues Jr
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2221670496.html Crate Palomino
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2216939062.html Kustom 36 coupe
Fender Frontman is to Fender as:
a.) the Edsel is to Ford
b.) New Coke is to Coca Cola
c.) All of the above
Last edited by Legion6789 at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by Legion6789
Fender Frontman is to Fender as:
a.) the Edsel is to Ford
b.) New Coke is to Coca Cola
c.) All of the above

not really

Affordable combos with good cleans and mediocre distortion? Sounds like a Fender to me
Except the Frontman has bad, shrill sounding cleans and not even mediocre distortion. It's terrible. I love Fenders, but I hate the Frontman.
Quote by Legion6789
Except the Frontman has bad, shrill sounding cleans and not even mediocre distortion. It's terrible. I love Fenders, but I hate the Frontman.

I have to agree with this.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

I went and tried the Fender Frontman 212R along with a few other amps.
It did not sound that good, and the effects were...well....pretty bad to say the least.
I went to 2 music store's and called 3 or 4.
I picked up a new solid state Line 6 SPIDER IV 75.
It was $50 more plus I had to purchase the foot pedal separately (not included).
It has one 12" Celestion G12P-80 speaker @ 75 watts.
Despite the fewer watts, one 12" speaker instead of two and having to purchase the foot pedal separately, it sounds 100 time's better than the FM 212R and my 'ol 60W Crate G-20.
I have 30 days to try it out before I can decide to keep it or return it.
I brought it practice and it did everything I needed and MORE!
I did not use my Boss D-Delay pedal, Phaser nor my Boss DS-1.
Then I plugged in an acoustic for a couple songs and i was extremely pleased with that sound as well.

I am still going to investigate all those Craiglist links as I am very partial to the sound of a tubed Marshall (I tried a couple new one's, but they were not in my budget).

So...does anyone have any experience with this Line 6 amp.?
It met my budget, desired sound/volume and actually surpassed my expectations.
Thanks in advance for all your help. Having not inquired here 1st, then investigated more "demo results" and opinions on the internet, I might have been very dissatisfied had I purchased the Fender.
jonny
Quote by Sputnik1
No the Spider is the equivalent to the Frontman.

Hmmm...what about reliability?
This amp.'s sound is nothing like the Frontman. It has full deep tone's and the versatility of the effects almost seem endless?
I would like more opinion's on this?
I do still have 30 days to keep polishing the effects.....but I desperately needed an amp. for practice today.
If this amp. won't perform for the long haul, I guess solid state amps. are just throwaways, until one's budget can pay for tube's and reliability?
Quote by jbag
Hmmm...what about reliability?
This amp.'s sound is nothing like the Frontman. It has full deep tone's and the versatility of the effects almost seem endless?
I would like more opinion's on this?
I do still have 30 days to keep polishing the effects.....but I desperately needed an amp. for practice today.
If this amp. won't perform for the long haul, I guess solid state amps. are just throwaways, until one's budget can pay for tube's and reliability?
Basically, the Line 6 Spider is worse in every way than the Peavey Vypyr, the Vox Valvetronix, the Fender Mustang, or the Roland Cube.

And by worse I mean a LOT worse. And it costs exactly the same amount of money. It sounds extremely digital.

The Vypyr, for example, is essentially the same thing as the Spider, except it has 3 times the effects, 3 times the amp models, can use more effects simultaneously, and each of its amp models sound MUCH more realistic. Same price.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
You say you have 30 days? Good, take that time, play around with the spider as much as you can, and you'll realize why it's not good. In the meantime it'd do you good to go to guitar stores and listen to and play as many higher end tube amps as you can.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
I have the Line 6 Spider IV 75 Watt. I've used it a lot. I'd return it if I could. It's got some problems.

For one, when you turn it on, the volume is always louder than when you turned it off. It also usually turns on a random effect like delay when you turn on the amp. It doesn't handle high volumes well. I brought it to an open jam due to the convenience of its size, but as soon as I turned it up it started screeching. I've got other amps, a Two Rock, an Orange and a Marshall. Unfortunately I can't crank them in my apartment when I'm practicing so I use the Line 6.

I look at it this way. My tube amps sound alright at low volumes for some things, and great at louder volumes for everything. The Line 6 sounds crappy at all volumes equally. So if you can dial in a sound you like, it'll sound the same even at bedroom volumes. That's the only reason I use it, bedroom volumes.
Although this is all subjective and you may actually like the amp, I am 99.9% sure that a little while down the road yo'll probably regret taking it back. Your ear for tone will develop and you'll see that the spider is weak in comparison with other amps in it's range. This is what I experienced with my spider ii.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by slipknot_420

But anyways they arent that bad and they take pedals better than any ss amp ive played other than a rocktron vendetta.

Then you haven't played a Roland Jazz Chorus.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by Gord@k
Then you haven't played a Roland Jazz Chorus.

Yea I actually play one weekly, my dad owns 2.
Y do u ask?
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Alright, two things one, this site is full of tone snobs, two the frontman is an ok amp, I've seen many kids buy and play them, hell until my previous bands guitarist bought his 1k bogner, he had the 212R. It was sturdy, reliable, took his effects fine. New hell no is it worth it, used between $150-$175 yea good deal. The only thing a tube amp is good for, is it's over drive, SS owns the clean market, nothing is cleaner than Solid state, what you guys like about tube cleans is they aren't really clean...

That said, I have a classic 30 and love it. I say get it, but I also say, if you had the 212R, and a good line up of dirt pedals, you'd be fine.
Quote by askrere
Alright, two things one, this site is full of tone snobs, two the frontman is an ok amp, I've seen many kids buy and play them, hell until my previous bands guitarist bought his 1k bogner, he had the 212R. It was sturdy, reliable, took his effects fine. New hell no is it worth it, used between $150-$175 yea good deal. The only thing a tube amp is good for, is it's over drive, SS owns the clean market, nothing is cleaner than Solid state, what you guys like about tube cleans is they aren't really clean...

That said, I have a classic 30 and love it. I say get it, but I also say, if you had the 212R, and a good line up of dirt pedals, you'd be fine.

The problem is that the Frontman isn't an upgrade from his Crate. He can find something that sounds nicer for the same if not less than the Frontman. Clearly your bandmate thought something was wrong with the Frontman otherwise he wouldn't have bought the Bogner. You need to have your ears cleaned or do some more research if you think that tube cleans are subpar to SS cleans.
Quote by PussyPunk182
Although this is all subjective and you may actually like the amp, I am 99.9% sure that a little while down the road yo'll probably regret taking it back. Your ear for tone will develop and you'll see that the spider is weak in comparison with other amps in it's range. This is what I experienced with my spider ii.

Maybe, I missed something here....you say "I'd regret taking it back" if I returned it within 30 days(?)...meaning it's good(?) ...and then you say "the spider is weak in comparison with other amps in it's range"...meaning I should return it?
This sounds contradictory?
Anyhow, I'm gonna keep playing it for awhile and see how it holds out, along with
1)when you turn it on, the volume is always louder than when you turned it off.

2)It also usually turns on a random effect like delay when you turn on the amp.

3)It doesn't handle high volumes well

These aren't major issues, as i always turn the volume down before I turn it off and before I turn it on. Then, I'll just set (or reset) the effect next.

I did notice that the volume controls are EXTREMELY delicate/sensitive. If you lean down to turn it up a little.....you only have to physically dial it up A LITTLE. Just an idiosyncrasy to get used to.

I did play a new Marshall tubed combo...it did have a nice "punchy" sound. But...as I said, "budget", so I'll keep looking for a used tubed combo in my "budget"
Thanks!
Last edited by jbag at Mar 27, 2011,
Pretty sure he ment you'll regret NOT taking it back. Any one of those craigslist amps would've been a lot better.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Pretty sure he ment you'll regret NOT taking it back. Any one of those craigslist amps would've been a lot better.

+1000
Quote by askrere
The only thing a tube amp is good for, is it's over drive, SS owns the clean market, nothing is cleaner than Solid state, what you guys like about tube cleans is they aren't really clean...

I've not played a solid state that had nicer cleans than my k-tre or my Triamp. Know why? Cause they don't exist. Yes, I've played a JC-120. I wasn't impressed.
I wouldn't know why someone who's focus is blues and rock would need a modelling amp like the Spider. Their selling-point is their versatility, after all. Unless you also do other genres a lot (and I mean A LOT), something like the Peavey Classic that has been mentioned in the first couple of posts would be ideal. The Spider is a typical beginner amp btw - I've played worse for sure, but it's still nothing to write home about.
Quote by Major Sparky

Budget?
Genres?
New/Used?
Gigging?
Nearest Major City?

i was also going for a Frontman 212r because i heard good things about it.

$250
Hard Rock/Metal
doesn't matter
soon
Providence, RI
I bought one off Craigslist:
[ http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/2271330056.html ] Epi Blues Custom

In case the ad is gone.....here is what it read:

Epiphone Blues Custom - $350 (Middletown)
Excellent condition. Sounds excellent and is in excellent shape. This is a wonderful amp, but I am moving to another state and will not have room for it. I have used it on stages before, and is plenty loud for playing out. I will gladly demo it in person. I bought it in 2008 for $650.

Information from a website on the amp with the features:

The 30W Epiphone Blues Custom 30 combo guitar amp takes the competition down at the knees with pro performance and features at a phenomenally low price. Dual-channel 30W AB operation (pentode) or 15W Class A operation (triode) plus independent or interactive tone controls and specially designed Lady Luck 12" speakers by Eminence are impressive enough on paper, but when you hear the tonal quality and feel the organic interactivity, you won't believe your ears.

The Blues Custom 30 amp's tube rectifier provides bluesy sag while the tube-driven reverb sounds incredibly natural. 3-band EQ plus added mid-control on the hot channel let you dial in hard-hitting definition. The Epiphone Blues Custom amp's 12AX7 preamp tubes with DC powered filaments operate very quietly.

Epiphone Blues Custom 30W 2x12 Combo Amp Features:
Designed and engineered in the USA by Gibson
30W Class AB or 15W Class A switchable All-tube circuitry
2 channels
(pentode/triode)
Tube rectifier
Mid control for channel 2
Dual 12" special-design Eminence Lady Luck speakers
Tube-powered reverb
Independent/interactive EQ switch
Standby switch
Shared 3-band EQ
Master volume
Dual 4-ohm, dual 8-ohm, and 16-ohm speaker outs
12AX7 preamp tubes with DC powered filaments
5881 power tubes
High-tension fuse
16-gauge bent and spot-welded chassis
11-ply plywood cab construction
2-button footswitch not included

I paid $300 and still would like the foot switch for it.

Anyone have one of these?
How do you like it?

Now I'm gona return the Line 6 as I fired it up today at it just had way too much sh!t for me to deal with.
I wanted and got a nice BASIC tube amp....it is however, quite heavy..75lbs??

I tried this foot switch i had and it did NOT work. Therefore, I have to research and find the one that does.

^ Much better

That will really fit your genres better and should have plenty of grit and gain on tap. Well built too. Congrats, I think that is good choice.

Now - give it up and do NAD thread.

yeah a 212 tube amp will be HEAVY. Mainly the 2 speakers and the transformers add a ton of weight. It will be worth it though. If you cart it around a lot you can always consider getting casters for it.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Now - give it up and do NAD thread.

"NAD" ??? as in "goNAD"????

I'm jBAG, so goNAD is quite appropriate....what do I do?
Page 1 of 2