It's been almost a year since I got it used, it reallllllly needs new strings.

What size should I buy, medium or long scale?

I don't have a case for it, does anyone know where to get one aside from the $149.99 fender case that is reviewed as shitty and over priced at best?

how hard would it be to make a wooden case?

Lastly, Fender doesn't seem the company to waste anything, so why do mustang bridges have like 6 little holes lined up in the front? whats the point of drilling those holes?
I'm assuming it's a 30" scale? If so, go for short scale strings.

Rondo music do shor scale basses so they probably do cases too, I'd check there.

How hard would it be to make one? Not at all if you're a decent woodworker. Would be heavy as hell though.

EDIT: looking at pictures of the mustang, I can't see the 6 holes you're talking about.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Mar 26, 2011,
it's short scale but string thru ads like 2 inchs or something.

and as for the whole questions oops its 4, but its those 4 front tiny ones seen here

http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1895

every hole has a screw on my bass save those 4, no holes either like there used to be screws.

Forgot to check rondo, as for making one, why would mine be any heavier than fenders, I could use the same plywood etc.
Last edited by askrere at Mar 26, 2011,
Hey mate. I have a 69 American Mustang Bass. You'll find that short scale strings will be too short as the bass is indeed string through. Therefore what you'll need is medium scales which luckily for you are the rarest. Long scales are too long and you won't have the tension you need, even by 'just cutting' them as so many people stupidly tend to recommend.

I string my stang with D'Addario EXL 160M XL REGULAR MEDIUM GAUGE Roundwound's.
Gauges: .050/.070/.085/.105

Hope this helps
Chitarre:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
1969 Fender Competition Mustang Bass (Competition Red)
Amplificatore:
Orange Thunderverb 50 head
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3
Quote by asr_larocca
Hey mate. I have a 69 American Mustang Bass. You'll find that short scale strings will be too short as the bass is indeed string through. Therefore what you'll need is medium scales which luckily for you are the rarest. Long scales are too long and you won't have the tension you need, even by 'just cutting' them as so many people stupidly tend to recommend.

I string my stang with D'Addario EXL 160M XL REGULAR MEDIUM GAUGE Roundwound's.
Gauges: .050/.070/.085/.105

Hope this helps

So is there a differance between long-scale strings and Medium-scale except length? The only thing I can think of is that the string may not taper down enough to fit it into the tuners, but that's it.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
So is there a differance between long-scale strings and Medium-scale except length? The only thing I can think of is that the string may not taper down enough to fit it into the tuners, but that's it.

Correct, just length to accommodate for the size of the bass. Mustangs are always a huge point of confusion because they are technically short scale, but the string through changes things. Get medium scales, short scales will fall short. Been there!

Heres mine Made in USA 1969 Fender Competition Mustang

Chitarre:
Amplificatore:
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3
Quote by asr_larocca
even by 'just cutting' them as so many people stupidly tend to recommend.

Basically I'm wondering why this suggestion is stupid.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

Basically I'm wondering why this suggestion is stupid.

Why?
Firstly because if you're going to buy new bass strings, why not buy the correct length? If you use long scale strings you will have to cut the string and the string wont be tapered at the end, and there's a big change the strings will unravel. Short/mediums/long scale strings are all constructed specifically to accommodate the scale bass they intend to fit.

Bass strings are expensive, get the right ones.
Chitarre:
Amplificatore:
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3
^ you are my favorite person on this forum ever. all other searches for the past few months have come up with nothing clear, and at $40+ I want to make damn sure it's correct. You sir have a beautiful bass, mine is the white reissue, but hey at $300 it's a treasure to me. I'll just buy medium flats and never worry about changing them again!
Quote by askrere
^ you are my favorite person on this forum ever. all other searches for the past few months have come up with nothing clear, and at $40+ I want to make damn sure it's correct. You sir have a beautiful bass, mine is the white reissue, but hey at $300 it's a treasure to me. I'll just buy medium flats and never worry about changing them again!

Haha nawww thanks! Yeah it was the same with me, heaps of unclear answers all over the place. I actually paid $0 for mine, let's just say it was 'inherited'.. They're amazing basses, have fun!
Chitarre:
Amplificatore:
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3
^ You sir,also have saved my ass! I too have the reissue white Mustang,and with my back problems its become my main bass...and is in urgent need of a re-string...MEDIUMS IT IS

you bass is beautiful sir
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Grazie

We are a rare kind us Mustang Bass owners!
Chitarre:
Amplificatore:
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3