I went to the guitar shp the other day and tried out a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom24 guitar..... it costs about 650 US dollars and many ug reviews praised it.

i picked it up and looked at the action. around the 1~7 frets, the action was pretty low but higher up it was quite high.... anyway, i played it and damn, did this thing buzz like hell...... the first 5 fretted notes on the high E string were dead and pinch harmonics were impossible cus of the screwed action.
i didn't check the neck for any underbow/overbow.

i'm assuming this is due to the guys at the shop setting it up badly.
so my question is...... how do you raise the action at the lower frets (1~7) without raising the action at the higher frets (10~22)?
It sounds to me like the neck was overbowed, since the first few frets didn't make notes, while higher up they did.

If you want low action, you need the neck reasonably straight, or with a slight underbow, if I have read correctly?
All it needed was a truss rod adjustment.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Tighten the truss rod and straighten that neck out!

I had the same problem after putting heavier gauge strings on a guitar.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
^You meen loosen the truss rod

As they said, the relief probably wasn't set correctly.
Press the first and last fret of the guitar on the low E string and gaze just above the seventh fret. If the string is touching the fret the rod is too tight and if the strings are still high on the first few frets than there is something weird going on with the neck (maybe the nut is too high), or at least I wouldn't touch it. If there is a considerable gap (it should be rather small) there is plenty of room to straighten out the neck. Ideally for low action it should be at about .013 from the top of the 7th fret to the string when pressing both the first and last fret which is a very small distance. Anything beyond that is bridge/nut height.
Quote by littlephil
^You meen loosen the truss rod

As they said, the relief probably wasn't set correctly.

Yes I do I misread
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator