hi guys i know some of the major scale and the minor penatonic i always practiced them using only one key( G for major) ( A for pentatonic) and i want to practice the other keys so what is the best idea to practice evry day one key (7days=7notes) or to practice each key for one week then move on to the other
Theres not really any point in what you're planning, because as far as the mechanics of it go playing in one key is exactly the same as playing in another. You need to be able to identify your key and recognise your chords, but as far as actually playing stuff goes your going to be doing the same things regardless of key, your entire frame of reference just shifts.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mado-elodie
i know i ll focus on natural notes firts ... so what do u suggest ?

Learn one scale throughout the fretboard, and learn all the names of the notes. Once you do this you'll be able to play in all keys.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by mado-elodie
hi guys i know some of the major scale and the minor penatonic i always practiced them using only one key( G for major) ( A for pentatonic) and i want to practice the other keys so what is the best idea to practice evry day one key (7days=7notes) or to practice each key for one week then move on to the other

Where has that gotten you so far? Do you know more about the guitar now?

If it were me, I'd suggest practicing them using the circle of fifths.

Best,

Sean
Quote by steven seagull
Theres not really any point in what you're planning, because as far as the mechanics of it go playing in one key is exactly the same as playing in another. You need to be able to idebtify your key and recognise your chords, but as far as actually playing stuff goes your going to be doing the same things regardless of key, your entire frame of reference just shifts.

Playing in one key is exactly the same as playing in another?
I think i've heard everything now, some of the "advice" given on here is truly staggering, i think i need to compile a list.
Quote by pigpoo
I think i've heard everything now, some of the "advice" given on here is truly staggering, i think i need to compile a list.

I think you need to learn how to read
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

That remark really makes no sense at all
Quote by pigpoo

When you get that list PM AlanHB and he will tell you what you can do with it.

Seriously though...

Seagull is absolutely right. The difference between playing from one key to the next is one's knowledge of the fretboard and understanding of the intervals in every major scale.

I can take a guy and in a short about of time have him playing to just about anything, simply by knowing the key. The difference is having the knowledge of what you are doing.

Look if they don't have the requisite knowledge to do what they want to do, they either go get that knowledge or do nothing and wallow in their bedrooms wishing they could do more.

But you can't do anything and know what you're doing without understanding the big picture.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by Sean0913
When you get that list PM AlanHB and he will tell you what you can do with it.

I'd probably say something like "start at the start, go from there", or "ignore modes for now, they aren't relevant".
Soundcloud
Quote by steven seagull

Probably just hasn't grasped the concept of barre chords yet.

And I think it's an okay idea. I mean, no harm can come of it. As long as it gets you somewhere and gets you "comfortable" in improvising.
Quote by mado-elodie

It's a good idea to practice scales in more than 1 key. I have some exercises for this. Id be glad to walk you through them if you want. Just PM me.
shred is gaudy music
OP
since the scales follow the same pattern (coming from a bass stand point) you should be able to move them anywhere on the fret board. i.e. playong different keys. as for te aeven days thing.... are you refering to the modes?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
as for te aeven days thing.... are you refering to the modes?

Ignore modes for now, they aren't relevant.
Soundcloud
Quote by Sean0913

Look if they don't have the requisite knowledge to do what they want to do, they either go get that knowledge or do nothing and wallow in their bedrooms wishing they could do more.

But you can't do anything and know what you're doing without understanding the big picture.

HAHA couldn't agree more.

Topic:

I learned the E major scale and practiced moving it around to different roots, it really isn't that hard, half an hour a day doing the run-through and a week later you're done. Then you just have to get yourself to internalize that the minor scale is simply moving WWHWWWH one to the left WHWWWHW, bada bing bada boom.
Quote by AlanHB
Ignore modes for now, they aren't relevant.

Just a thought, since the op mentioned seven days, and their are seven modes.

Quote by liampje
Quote by vampirelazarus
Just a thought, since the op mentioned seven days, and their are seven modes.

No, I think he's talking about the 7 notes contained within the scale. It's a moot point though, as there is 12 notes, each which could be the root of major or minor keys.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
No, I think he's talking about the 7 notes contained within the scale. It's a moot point though, as there is 12 notes, each which could be the root of major or minor keys.

Agreed that its a moot point. I think this guy is a troll if you look at the thread he started yesterday, you'll understand.

Quote by liampje