Page 1 of 2
Building an 80's style Telecaster.
The wood for the body I got from an old mahogany bed headboard.

Specs:

Neck:

Construction: Bolt on
Number of frets: 22
Neck wood: Maple
Fret board: Rosewood
Radius: 10″
Truss Rod: Double action Hotrod
Inlay: Mother of Pearl Dots

Body:

Wood: Mahogany
Contours: Elbow, belly
Bridge: Floyd Rose

Electronics:

Pickup Configuration: HH
Neck: Dimarzio PAF
Bridge: Dimarzio Super Distortion
Pickup rings: black
Knobs: Black Dome Knob

I'm not sure about the paint yet but I thought about yellow and black zebra striped like this.

But I may just go for plain yellow. Or maybe change the colour completely.
Here’s the headboard.

and then it cut up and being glued together so its two ply with the blue prints on top.

I made up a template.

Sitting on top of the wood that’s been glued together now.

Then tried to cut it out with a jig saw but because my jig saw is shit it started cutting at an angle and wouldn’t cut at 90 degrees at all so I decided to rout the body out of the body blank. I don’t know if this was a good or bad idea but it worked in the end.

This is it after routing most of the way through then being able to use the jig saw to cut it out once the wood was thinner.

And this is the body as it is now.

I'll have more pics and progress tomorrow but if anyone wants to see the other pictures I haven’t posted there all here. http://s1037.photobucket.com/albums/a451/_DavidAndrew/
Haha, great idea for a body. How good is the wood? Looks like it was made back when things were solid and weren't just crap like particleboard and veneer. Looking forward to this.
Nice ! I did an Explorer out of a flea-market mahogany find. A headboard is great ! I have 3 old [ fred flintstone owned 'em ] old doors that are going to become guitars soon. A friend of mine donated them to me and the wood has growth rings like 1/16" apart. definitely some old growth lumber, but with stain on it, I can't tell exactly what they are.
Local timber includes Maple, Black Walnut, Oak and White Pine, so what it is is a guess for now.
I'd pore-fill the mahogany with black epoxy and then oil it. .... if it were my build.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
So in the end, be careful, but even still it's not THAT easy to get killed to death.
Oh, a trick i learned about the jigsaw wondering off-axis is this : drill some holes right along the edge in the key spots where the jigsaw has to change directions. Takes an extra few minutes, but makes cutting it out a snap compared to the way I used to do it, without the releif.
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
So in the end, be careful, but even still it's not THAT easy to get killed to death.
Quote by matt154
Haha, great idea for a body. How good is the wood? Looks like it was made back when things were solid and weren't just crap like particleboard and veneer. Looking forward to this.

The wood's good and solid. It just had a decrotive trim around the edge that was made out of some crap wood. But that had to come off anyway.

Quote by OurSouls,inc.
Nice ! I did an Explorer out of a flea-market mahogany find. A headboard is great ! I have 3 old [ fred flintstone owned 'em ] old doors that are going to become guitars soon. A friend of mine donated them to me and the wood has growth rings like 1/16" apart. definitely some old growth lumber, but with stain on it, I can't tell exactly what they are.
Local timber includes Maple, Black Walnut, Oak and White Pine, so what it is is a guess for now.
I'd pore-fill the mahogany with black epoxy and then oil it. .... if it were my build.

Yeah old furniture’s grate. And a lot cheaper then $150NZD for a mahogany body blank. I had a maple head board lying around too that would have been good for some necks or some tops but because I'm stupid I cut it up for something else before I started building guitars.
I'm gana paint this. I hate oil finished body’s. Well I wouldn’t say hate but I have a strong dis-like for them and thanks for the tip with the jig saw.
Today I got the fret board radiused and the scarf joint for the 14 degree (or there abouts) head stock cut. I have to wait till tomorrow though to see if I can borrow my friends plane or if I’m going to have to try set my useless one up. Even though I don’t know what to do. If anyone has any tips or links to something to tell me that would be cool. I haven’t got any pics of today yet. There’s not much to show but there hopefully will be tomorrow.
Quote by polishedbullet
What are you doing when it comes to a fretboard - slotting and fretting it yourself or buying a pre-made one?

I'm doing the fretboard myself.
Quote by polishedbullet
Nice. How are you going about slotting the frets, toolwise? The fret position marker I found is like $180 and that's too expensive for a one-time build I'm doing.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Fretting/Dual_Fret_Scale_Templates.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=24

or

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Straightedges/Fret_Scale_Rule.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=24

Better price, no?
Quote by polishedbullet
Nice. How are you going about slotting the frets, toolwise? The fret position marker I found is like $180 and that's too expensive for a one-time build I'm doing.

I'm just going to mesure it out with a ruler. Hopfuly a metal meter ruler if I can find one localy. And then I'm just gana slot it with a saw and do it the cheap way with out any over priced miter boxes or tools. I sore a build thread of a guy who just did it with a saw, brass block and hammer, and he was an amazing builder so I thought if its good enough for him, it's good enough for me (hopfuly ).
Ok I got the fret board radiused.
Before:

Then with chalk on it:

Then after. Looking much the same as before because i have a shit camera:

Then I cut the neck blank for the scarf joint. I made up a jig to put the blank through my table saw but then discovered that the table saw blade isn’t big enough to cut all the way through the width of the blank so I had to cut it by hand.

Before:

After:

It wasn’t a very clean cut so i had to plane it a lot and sand it smooth.
Plane the headstock down to 15cm thick with the router.

down to

While I was planeing it down I let the router slip and it dug a hole into the wood. Luckily not all the way through and luckily I could fix it with super glue and maple dust. Then I glued it up.

I thought the glue looked pretty cool here and needed a picture haha.
Looking great so far. Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Do I need to use grain filler if I use primer before doing the coloured paint? And what is grain filler? Could someone send me a like to what I should get if I need it. Also I have enamel paint, is that good for painting it?
I got some new neck templates made up last night. Since I decided on having a angled head stock my original template wasn’t good enough so I made a separate neck, fret board and headstock template out of MDF (grr I hate that stuff).

The top ones is my original then the neck then fret board then the headstock.

I also got some paint. I got red primer, yellow, black and a clear. There enamels so I don’t know if that matters or what that really means so yeah, if anyone has any info they could tell me about that, that would be cool.

I'm still not sure wether to go with plain yellow or yellow and black zebra striped. I don’t want it to look to much like George lynch's tiger guitar and I think it might if I do it zebra striped. Anyway here is a test on some scrap. Its just one coat of primer, two coats of yellow and two coats of clear. I'm still not sure wether I will need grain filler. The grain only just shows through on the test and the guitar will have a few more layers of paint so what do people in the know think?

If it were me I wouldn't even paint it.. I kinda like the old burnished look so i'd deck it out with aged hardware and clear coat it, that body is just screaming that look to me, but to each his own.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Pleasepleaseplease do the zebra stripe. it will look sooooo awesome. Probably the only telecaster I can stand to look at. Are you going to paint the headstock too?
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
Quote by N_J_B_B
If it were me I wouldn't even paint it.. I kinda like the old burnished look so i'd deck it out with aged hardware and clear coat it, that body is just screaming that look to me, but to each his own.

Sorry but it's going to be painted. I dont like natural finishes inless its somthing like a Les Paul flame top.

Quote by eoinmorgan
Pleasepleaseplease do the zebra stripe. it will look sooooo awesome. Probably the only telecaster I can stand to look at. Are you going to paint the headstock too?

Ok thats one vote for zebra stripe. I'm still not sure about it though. And I know what you mean by the only telecaster you can stand to look at, part of the reson I build it was because I dont like fender teles so this way I could make one I like. Its rear to find a nice telecaster. I'm going to paint the headstock plain black I think inless I think of some writeing to put on it.
Yeah I agree that most teles are ugly, which I why i was saying I like this one. By painting the headstock I meant making it yellow or striped, but plain black could work too.
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
The neck blank ready to be routed for the truss rod.

Got the truss rod routed.

My amazing jig haha.

Just tape the neck down to the bench, use a peace of mdf as a stop and use the routers ''thing'' (I cant remember what its called at the moment haha) to push the router along the side on the neck blank.

I didn’t find the instructions sent with the rod very helpful so had to figure it out myself. Unfortunately this meant I routed to far along the head stock.

But it should be an easy fix. I'll just cut a filler strip and glue it in.

Also I think I might make this a reverse head stock again because the site I ordered my tuners from advertises left handed tuners as "left hand" tuners were as every other site I have seen has right handed tuners advertised as "left hand" tuners because they go on the left side on the head stock so I got the wrong ones and cant return them and I don’t want to waste more money on another set.
Where do you live man? Looks amazingly green and lush.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Where do you live man? Looks amazingly green and lush.

New Zealand. This was just after it all got a nice watering from the skies haha.
Not much has happened. I need to get some tools for fretting. I'm going to get some OVER PRICED tools from Stew Mac because I haven’t found anything locally that I can use. If anyone knows of cheaper good tools else were it would be nice to know thanks.
Quote by RHCPFitz
Please put shoes on. Too many nasty foot shots.

And many more to come haha. Can I just keep my feet out of the shot? Its to hard to go and put shoes on. And then I have to take them off everytime I come inside.
Quote by da_
Plane the headstock down to 15cm thick with the router.

15 mm?

I'm liking this guitar so far anyway. Keep it going.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
15 mm?

I'm liking this guitar so far anyway. Keep it going.

Oh didn’t I mention, this is a super duper giant guitar. Na that was a typo its meant to be 15mm. And thanks. I'll keep going as soon as I get some fretting tools. Hopefully I will order them tonight from Stew Mac.
Man, this tele build is pretty sweet. Never thought to use an old headboard hahaha. Please post lots of pics when finished!
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
like a true Kiwi mate; no shoes. Nice build too, I built a tele a couple of years ago. Left it a natural wood finish and it turns out chicks dig painted guitars. Don't go with a stain, go extravagant, like that zebra but in pink or something
Quote by jolly_26
like a true Kiwi mate; no shoes. Nice build too, I built a tele a couple of years ago. Left it a natural wood finish and it turns out chicks dig painted guitars. Don't go with a stain, go extravagant, like that zebra but in pink or something

Haha I was gana go pink intill i got yelled at for that idea. Never mind I think I like the yellow.
Quote by polishedbullet
Are you using any tape or adhesive to keep the truss rod from rattling in the neck?

I have some silicone glue stuff for bathrooms that I guess should work that I'm going to use. I haven’t put it in yet, I'll do that when the fret boards ready to be put on.
Quote by polishedbullet
If you could take a shot of that when you are doing it (silicon gluing), it would be greatly appreciated

Ok will do. You don’t have to do anything special when you do it do you? It's just gluing the rod in with silicon but using only a small amount so it doesn’t interfere with the use of the truss rod?
Quote by polishedbullet
I've read different things for every build, including just putting silicon on the brass ends of the truss rod to prevent that from rattling. I just wouldn't put any on the actual truss rod/red PVC piping.

That sounds pretty much like what I've read so I guess that's how I will do it. I'll post pictures when I get to it.
Page 1 of 2