Hey guys, I have been on this site for years for tabs but have never joined. After three days of headaches I decided I would make an account and seek the opinions/help from someone who knows about ESP and can help me with this what I thought would be a seemingly easy problem.

Alright Tuesday I purchased an ESP LTD EC300P used from a younger guy locally. The guitar has been taken care of and was flawless physically. I met halfway between the two of us to check it out. It was flawless and accoring to him to be in perfect working order.

WELL I get it home plug it up and to my surprise a buzz is coming from my amp. I immediately text the kid I got it from and asked him if the guitar had ANY kind of buzz when he had it. He said no ( of course ). I plug up another guitar and its definitely not my amp/gear. SO i begin my troubleshooting adventure.

First thing I do when I plug it back up is touch the knobs. The buzzing stops its a ground I assume. I unscrew the backing to look inside. No wires are unsouldered and no sign of foul play. I must mentiont hat the guitar has Seymour Duncan "Soap Bar" style pick ups.

So The following day while at work I send the guitar off with my girlfriend to a guitar tech not to far from home ( the one where I live doesnt service guitars ). She drops it off telling the guy whats its doing blah blah blah. When she returns later that afternoon the tech informs her that he has fixed the ground ( even played it for her and she said it sounded better ) and told her also that the Black Diamond strings that were on the guitar could also have been a cause of the problem. She brings it home to be and I rush to my amp, plug it up and boom still buzzes. This is where I begin to get frustrated. Its to late and to far to go back to the shop so I hold of until today.

So today I am sitting in the parking lot of the local guitar shop to buy me a fresh set of strings. I rush home as fast as I can yank the (what I thought to now be garbage strings ) off and restring it. Plug it up and you guessed it GROUND BUZZZZZZZ.! And you cant tell anything was even done to it.

I can touch each knob and the grounding issue will totally vanish. I can touch the tuners and it will sort of ease up but still be there and the same with the bridge. I have a semi garbage cable and even when I though the metal on it the grounding buzz stops ( although none of the other guitars I have in my lineup have this effect on this cable..I checked lol )

I am asking PLEASE if anyone knows what I should try please respong to this thread and help me out. I am going to return to the guitar to the tech today again while I am at work ( Via girlfriend ) with the new patch of strings and see what he says but want some info to use if for whatever reason his solutions dont help. If you need any other info please post it and Ill get it to you ( cause im probably going to leave this thread pulled up until its figured out lol ) Thanks again guys!!!
Last edited by MisterMonkey26 at Mar 26, 2011,
huh, I don't understand.. maybe it IS just your amp that is buzzing?
Id make sure your setup isnt to blame.. and then take it back to the tech telling him he didnt fix it.
Go yourself if you can, it sounds like your girlfriend doesnt know much about guitars, and take your amp if you can.
You shouldnt have to pay for the setup if it is still the guitar buzzing, he did the job wrong
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
What kind of bridge does the guitar have? Is the bridge grounded? Maybe it's a shielding problem?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Bigaxmax
huh, I don't understand.. maybe it IS just your amp that is buzzing?
Id make sure your setup isnt to blame.. and then take it back to the tech telling him he didnt fix it.
Go yourself if you can, it sounds like your girlfriend doesnt know much about guitars, and take your amp if you can.
You shouldnt have to pay for the setup if it is still the guitar buzzing, he did the job wrong

Yeah im about 95% sure it isnt the amp. Its a Marshall Half stack so sending the amp would probably be out of the question unless she just hauled the head and he had a cabinet there. The buzz is non existant when I plug any other guitar up into it so that should eliminate it being my setup shouldnt it? I may have her take my ME-70 with her so he can hear it with some distortion or something.
Unfortunately I am unable to go due to my current work schedule but shes been playing for about 10 years now so I would assume she would know whats going on.
Last edited by MisterMonkey26 at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by Koshman32
What kind of bridge does the guitar have? Is the bridge grounded? Maybe it's a shielding problem?

Its a fixed bridge. I know that the wire that comes from the bridge is grounded but as far as actually under the bridge I have no idea.
well come to find out after a weeks worth of waiting it was the guitars grounding issue. Now a new issue has appeared. I finally get a chance to make it down to the guitar shop on Thursday to talk to the tech about my guitar. He informs me that yes I did have a bridge ground issue and he fixed it along with grounding each of my pots together. He plugs it up into a 5150 he has there and it sounds amazing. I feel as if a burden has been lifted off my shoulders. I buy a new cable to replace my old one i thought was giving me trouble and I set off on my merry way.

When I get home I plug my newly fixed guitar into my amp and tada the thing is still buzzing. Feeling confident now that it isnt my guitar I set off to find the problem. I plug my new cable directly into my guitar head and its still buzzing...I assume its an amp ground now. I swapped the speaker cable out with a spare I had and it still buzzed.

My amp is a Marshall MG100FX half stack. I have no idea where to go from here as I now feel stuck. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with the MG100fx's? What steps should I take in troubleshooting this particular grounding problem? Any help would be appreciated.