Yes, it is another one of those threads, but we all have the same issues. I have a few hundred dollars saved up in the bank, and I'm getting a summer job in....the summer. And it's been 3 years since I got my last guitar (I only have 2, Fender Strat and Epi Les Paul) I play a lot of different stuff, I like heavy metal, etc but my band plays our own style of rock I guess you could say.

I want to get what I guess I could call an "intermediate-advanced" guitar, somewhere between $600- $1000. I was thinking about getting a Jeff Loomis Signature 7-String from Schecter, or a Schecter/ESP 6 string. I'm really into Nevermore, and I'm infinity light years behind Loomis, but I think it'd be interesting to get a 7string.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=jeff+loomis

Anyway, what do you guys think? Should I go for it? There's a Satin Black one for $900, or a Dark Red one for $1000, but color really doesn't matter to me. And if there are any Schecter/ESP/Gibson/ANY other guitars you could recommend between $600-$1000, that'd be very much appreciated.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
You could probably save some money not buying a signature guitar. Check out Ibanez 7 strings. And if you live in North America, look into Agile guitars. I've heard they're great guitars for there price.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I guess it depends on what sound your band wants. Is there another guiarist? if there is and he only has a 6 string that could be a problem.
NO!
That is a BIG mistake from a new (newish) guitarist. Almost every guitar brand from the $600 to $1000 range guitars are just a TINY bit better then the $350 to $600.

I would say get two cheaper guitars OR save a little more and get a great guitar used. (something around $1300)
Last edited by Radiohead_u2 at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by Radiohead_u2
NO!
That is a BIG mistake from a new (newish) guitarist. Almost every guitar brand from the $600 to $1000 range guitars are just a TINY bit better then the $350 to $600.

I would say get two cheaper guitars OR save a little more and guitar a great guitar used. (something around $1300)

I hope you aren't serious.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
I hope you aren't serious.

I very much am. I do not have that much experience with METAL guitars though.

I have owned over 25 guitars in my life. (from all price ranges)
Yes, the big problem is should I go 7 string. I probably shouldn't yet. My band has a singer/guitarist and I'm pretty much lead guitar, and I'm quite a bit ahead of him, so I have to write riffs that aren't too complex so he can handle them for rhythm. I think I'll end up getting a guitar near $700.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Don't go Schecter anymore...
They've just become a ridiculously mass production company with very little attention to detail involved and the newer guitars are pretty dodgy.
I own 4 schecters, 3 from before 2008 and one from 2010. The 2010 was about $1500AUD
the ones before 2008 were below $800 and they all play better than the newer one.
Have a look into Agile, ESP and possibly Ibanez although they have a similar problem sometimes.
Or you could find a local, not well known luthier and they can BUILD you a guitar (sometimes for under $1200 depending on specs)
I would recommend my guitar. Its a PRS Paul Allender Signature model. I got mine for about $600 even though every site I checked said 729 used and 829 new. I guess guitar center had a little price mix up haha :] But it's a great 6 string and I love it. PRS guitars are pretty good.
PSN - Boosted928
Quote by boosted928
I would recommend my guitar. Its a PRS Paul Allender Signature model. I got mine for about $600 even though every site I checked said 729 used and 829 new. I guess guitar center had a little price mix up haha :] But it's a great 6 string and I love it. PRS guitars are pretty good.

PRS guitars are pretty damn good!
You can't skip Gibson if you're checking PRS out. it's just that simple. Many say Gibson sucks.. but heh, I don't and yes it's worth to save that amount of money. It would be a GIBSON after all.. But, if you're in a devastating need of guitar right now with the given budget.. Check out Charvel San Dimas and Jackson Dinkys, they're pretty good for rock/hard rock and handle metal extremely well, though Charvel isn't that good to do metal as Dinky is (personal opinion). The older the Jackson, the better. Used really is the way to go in my opinion.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

If you want a 7 string, Schecter's Damien Elite 7s are quite good, and I'd only expect the Loomis to be better. Schecter does have some QC issues, but the problems with my guitar were so minor they were fixed in like 5 seconds. (it was missing 2 little screws.)
Thanks for all of the help guys. I'm going to get a 6string, that much I know. I play anything from The Doors and AFI to Metallica and hopefully Nevermore. I want a guitar that can do metal, but it can sound good doing cleaner stuff.

I'll definitely be checking out some Schecter, PRS, Jackson, Gibson, and Ibanez guitars int eh coming months. (Dunno about tone/quality/etc but I'd flip out if I could get a Flying V or Explorer)
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day