Page 1 of 2
Since we've got the community albums and the "Calling All the Pit's guitarists", I was thinking perhaps a Pit's Battle of the Bands?

Really just throwing the idea out there to see what the general concensus on it is.

Obviously we'd have to break it down into categories, as I think the worst thing we could do would be to just allow a "free-for all" competition that would lead to a glorified genre-war. I'm thinking, perhaps, we could have a "Brootz" category for the realm of metal and it's subgenres, a "Rock" category for Rock and it's related sub's, and an "Acoustic" category too. I'm thinking maybe a "Jazz & Blues" category as well. That all being said, I guess participation will determine categories.

I'm also thinking this should be limited perhaps to "real" bands only. IMO, to be in this, a band should have to be able to play gigs and have a full lineup. I know this may alienate some who have solo ventures going, so perhaps a separate category could be made for them as well?
EDIT: It seems so far in the thread, the general consensus has been solo projects would be OK, as long as they are able to play shows and stuff. Basically, as long as they are a "legitimate" project/band.

Just some ideas. Seeing if there's interest and thoughts on how we could/should do this.

EDIT 2:
Here's what we have planned so far. Please make suggestions or voice your pleasure on the following:

Categories: Metal, Rock, Blues & Soul, Jazz, Acoustic, Electronic.
Categories will be pretty broad for competitions sake. So "experimental" bands will be placed in the Category they best fit into.

Scoring & Voting:
"Round Robin" Pool Voting > Final Four > Final
We'll be using this for each category

We haven't decided on the scoring yet, so the ideas I have for it:
- One thread for all OR One thread per category
- Should everyone be required to vote in every category?
- Descending scoring scale? (3,2,1 point scale, so voters would vote for 3 bands per category)
- Obviously, no voting for your own band.

Once we get scoring/voting settled, providing we don't change anything else, we'll be ready to set some dates for submissions. I'm thinking we'll have a long submission period so it gives ample time to get the most bands possible.

Edit 3: Added Electronic to Categories.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Mar 28, 2011,
Does it have to be originals?

I'm in an RATM cover band.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
I think solo projects should be allowed because you'll be excluding some real talent.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by Snowman388
Does it have to be originals?

I'm in an RATM cover band.

Damn, how could I have overlooked a "covers" category? This needs to be worked in somehow.

I think solo projects should be allowed because you'll be excluding some real talent.

This is true, but I don't want to be unfair to the actual "bands" out there either.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I'm in a ska band so uhh... What category would we be in? lol
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
I have a feeling my band would totally be up for it. We're going in the studio in a few weeks so we'd totally be prepared
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Why do you want to lump these two together, you hussy?

Just throwing out ideas.

I'm in a ska band so uhh... What category would we be in? lol

Well, the genre's will be pretty broad. So "Rock" if we'd keep something like I initially suggested.

Well solo projects who actually perform live shouldn't be excluded.

Agreed.

And I'm not sure if anyone else feels that a solo project could have an unfair advantage over a real band. I think it merits discussion though.

And another thought. How about we do this. We'll make 4 separate brackets, "regions" if you will.
One could be "Metal" which would encompass Metal and all it's derivitives, then a similar one for "Rock". Then two other brackets as well.
So, what we'd have is essentially a NCAA tournament set-up. The winner of each "region" would go into a "Final Four", and we'd then vote from there.

Just a thought. Maybe I have March Madness?
Quote by Zeppelin71
^ Sounds like a bad idea, because then you end up with a battle of genres, rather than a battle of bands.
Quote by Ziphoblat
^ Sounds like a bad idea, because then you end up with a battle of genres, rather than a battle of bands.

I guess so, but not until the Finals.

How do the rest of you guys think we should set something like this up? Obviously categories are going to have to be reasonably broad, or else we're going to have to make a ridiculous amount of categories which will IMO put a damper on the whole thing.
Quote by Zeppelin71
I approve of this idea.
Make it happen.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
Quote by sjones
I guess so, but not until the Finals.

How do the rest of you guys think we should set something like this up? Obviously categories are going to have to be reasonably broad, or else we're going to have to make a ridiculous amount of categories which will IMO put a damper on the whole thing.

Have;
One category for metal and all of those other silly genres it's spawned.
One category for any contemporary rock/pop/punk music.
One category for blues/soul/motown etc.
One category for jazz.

Don't have 1 winner, but 4 winners, one for each category.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Have;
One category for metal and all of those other silly genres it's spawned.
One category for any contemporary rock/pop/punk music.
One category for blues/soul/motown etc.
One category for jazz.

Don't have 1 winner, but 4 winners, one for each category.

I like this idea. I think something like this could work. What does everyone else think, and let's work on hammering out some categories that we can set in stone.

Second order of business, when it comes to voting, how about we make one all-encompassing Voting Thread, then make sure everyone votes for an act in every category to have their votes counted. We could even make such a scoring system that allows one to give 1/2 votes/points if they're up in the air between two bands. If nothing else, I think it would make it more interesting.

I'm thinking we'll have a long submission period too, that way we can get as many bands as possible involved. We'll work that out last though.

Edit: I think we need to discuss solo projects as well. It seems the general thought so far is to let them in as long as they play live and such. Pretty much, as long as they are a legit project.

Also, rules for the bands: Just have links to their site(s) or should we have like suggested songs? Once again, need opinions to make this as fair as possible.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Last edited by sjones at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by sjones
We'll have a submission thread for entries.

This is just a planning thread.

>_>

<_<
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
I'd attempt it, but I haven't even practiced with my band yet.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
I'd be good for it.
What section does ska go in?

I'd assume the "Rock" category.

Here's how I see the "categories" breaking down so far. Also, we can still add categories
Blues, Soul, Motown - self explanitory
Jazz - self explanitory
Acoustic - self explanitory

Metal - Black Metal, Death Metal, Progressive Metal, Thrash Metal, MeloDeath, Hardcore, Metalcore, Old-School Metal, etc.

Rock - Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Alternative Rock, Prog. Rock, Indie Rock, Ska, Punk, Pop Punk, Southern Rock, Blues-Rock etc.

I know some people are going to complain about Metalcore and hardcore being grouped with "troo Metal", but for this competition I think it's fair, since we're being broad about genres.

Where should we draw the line of what goes in the "metal" group and what goes in the "rock" group? I think it would be good to have a reference point/reference band to go off of.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Quote by me_llamo_juan
I'd be good for it.
What section does ska go in?

It really depends what kind of ska I'd say, probably rock. But if it's older rocksteady kind of stuff, you could probably group it in with the likes of blues/motown rather than rock.
I think as far as categories go, I think we're almost all on board so far on that front. Big thanks to Ziphoblat for his suggestion that really got it going.

So solo projects, what should the qualifications for them be?

Also, where should "borderline" bands be in terms of the "Metal" group and "rock" groups be in terms of, say, Nu-Metal bands. Personally, for this competitions sake, I'd say put them in the metal category but I want to make sure we are all on the same page.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Quote by sjones

So solo projects, what should the qualifications for them be?

Personally, I'd include another category just for solo projects. You'd have to decide whether or being a live performer as well was a requirement to qualify. There'd be no point splitting that one further into genres; I can't imagine you'd get a whole load of entries.

Quote by sjones
Also, where should "borderline" bands be in terms of the "Metal" group and "rock" groups be in terms of, say, Nu-Metal bands. Personally, for this competitions sake, I'd say put them in the metal category but I want to make sure we are all on the same page.

The clue's in the name, I'd say. Nu-metal. Hence, it's metal. In the same sense that some modern music is considered rock that isn't classic rock, that doesn't mean that isn't rock. Metal-purists opinions aren't that significant, and their genre isn't so important that it should be split up even further than others. I'd say having one category just for metal is being generous enough as it is.
Two ska bands already?! I'll be looking forward to this
My Set-Up Thus Far:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard (ebony)
-Fender DeVille Hot Rod 112
-BOSS Grunge pedal

BAYSIDE IS A CULT
Quote by Ziphoblat
Personally, I'd include another category just for solo projects. You'd have to decide whether or being a live performer as well was a requirement to qualify. There'd be no point splitting that one further into genres; I can't imagine you'd get a whole load of entries.

Well, I assume a good portion of the "acoustic" acts will be solo projects, but that category is different than the others I guess.
I wouldn't have a problem with letting a solo project into a category as long as it was a legit project that they're gigging with and promoting. I guess maybe I'm unsure if it's fair to let a solo project that is mainly made of programmed instruments into the competition versus bands where all the instruments are played by a human.

What if, we make it ok for solo projects to enter as long as all instruments are played by a human, not computer made, with the exception maybe being drums and/or synth effects and such?

Quote by Ziphoblat

The clue's in the name, I'd say. Nu-metal. Hence, it's metal. In the same sense that some modern music is considered rock that isn't classic rock, that doesn't mean that isn't rock. Metal-purists opinions aren't that significant, and their genre isn't so important that it should be split up even further than others. I'd say having one category just for metal is being generous enough as it is.

Same page, bro. I think for the competitions sake, we'll say Nu-Metal is the proverbial "line" to divide the rock and metal groups.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Another ska band? Aw we're screwed lol. We haven't recorded in a while, but throwing us in here couldn't hurt haha.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
I want in In a three piece acoustic band here
Quote by DaFizzle
Periods are only a myth made up by woman to have more things to cry about, its the same with birth pains. Because i imagine its like having a shite and i quite enjoy turding.

Quote by SoftParade1967
subway?
Quote by Exo M7
he needs a ride not a sandwich ****ing retard
Question: How would you go about doing this?
Suggestion: Experimental category.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Question: How would you go about doing this?
Suggestion: Experimental category.

I would just say "read the thread", but since I should update the OP anyway, here's what we are leaning towards so far:

Categories: Metal, Rock, Blues & Soul, Jazz, Acoustic
Categories will be pretty broad for competitions sake. So "experimental" bands will be placed in the Category they best fit into.

Scoring & Voting:
"Round Robin" Pool Voting > Final Four > Final
We'll be using this for each category

We haven't decided on the scoring yet, so the ideas I have for it:
- One thread for all OR One thread per category
- Should everyone be required to vote in every category?
- Descending scoring scale? (3,2,1 point scale, so voters would vote for 3 bands per category)
- Obviously, no voting for your own band.

Once we get scoring/voting settled, providing we don't change anything else, we'll be ready to set some dates for submissions. I'm thinking we'll have a long submission period so it gives ample time to get the most bands possible.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Quote by sloppyjoe24
pm me if something like this is going down. I'd be interested in signing up.

Thanks for the interest. There will be a submission thread started as soon as things are set in stone with this planning thread. I can send you a PM when that's up and going.

Any suggestions of your own?
Quote by Zeppelin71
Quote by sjones
Thanks for the interest. There will be a submission thread started as soon as things are set in stone with this planning thread. I can send you a PM when that's up and going.

Any suggestions of your own?

I can't think of anything. You seem to have it mostly covered. I'll be looking forward to it.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Can we enter more than one category if we have multiple bands/projects?
Quote by rockfan7
Can we enter more than one category if we have multiple bands/projects?

I don't see why not. I think we should have a limit of one band per user per category though.
Quote by Zeppelin71
So I can't enter my musical project? Its 8-bit music that I made myself, but i've actually been thinking about recruiting people to play it live.
Quote by JacobTheMe
So I can't enter my musical project? Its 8-bit music that I made myself, but i've actually been thinking about recruiting people to play it live.

I guess we could add an "Electronic" category, too.

Quote by Zeppelin71
Page 1 of 2