My main amp is a single channel amp and I want to use volume knobs to control how clean my tone is.

This works great on my epi les paul ultra, but not so much on my other guitars. Some guitars don't make much of a difference if the volume knob is at 2 or 10.

So I'm wondering is it the pickup or the pot that decides if your tone can clean up via the volume knob?

Thanks
I don't quite understand, but just so you know, the volume know on guitars work in logarithm form. Basically the beginning of the turn of the dial is most dramatic and less towards 10.
Sounds like your other guitars either have really high output (or active) pickups or probably just bad quality pots. What kind of guitars are they?

Also, the acoustic Nanomag pickup on your Ultra is probably contributing a lot to its cleaner sound.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Typically your amp detemines how clean your tone is however you probably have crappy pots on your guitars thats why it isntcleaningup
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
The type of pot used. Some guitars come with a linear tapered volume pot and what you want is a logarithmic tapered pot because volume isn't actually percieved in a linear fashion. You can normally tell what type of taper is in your pots by looking at the letter that comes either before orafter its resistance value. Linear has A and logarithmic has B. So a pot with 500k ohms total resistance and a logarithmic taper will have B500k or 500kB.

I hope this is helpful.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by JMcG92
Sounds like your other guitars either have really high output (or active) pickups or probably just bad quality pots. What kind of guitars are they?

Also, the acoustic Nanomag pickup on your Ultra is probably contributing a lot to its cleaner sound.

All of my pickups are passive. Its a Kramer Pacer Classic, that's my main one, that doesn't clean up too well.
Oh, and i dont think i have nanomags, because this is the korean made one from 08.
Just so everyone knows i'm using the same amp.
it's a bit of everything, really, i think.

- pickup
- quality of the pot
- taper of the pot
- quality of the amp
- how you have the amp dialled in
- probably a bunch of other things I haven't thought of

Also a treble bleed capacitor on the volume knob can help retain highs too, and make the amp seem like it "cleans up" better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i mean it depends. low wattage amp? high output or low output pups will determine how much grit you will naturally have.

the pot and thier quality matter far more, because thier function is so critical. obviously turn the gain down if you want mostly clean but if your saying you want to switch it up, then play with some gain and use the volume higher to get even moe gain and then roll it down to clean it up. still might have slight grit to it but generally that still sounds really nice.

its a huge equastion. obviously a 8 watt boutique amp with high output pups is always going to be dirty. its all about your setup and how you use it.

look at people using Dr. Z amps. mostly 1 channel boutiques and they sound amazing. mostly under 50 watts too. youtube people reviewing those amps and see how they sound.

note: high end boutique amsp are going to be FAR FAR more responsive than cheapos.
ah ok. if you can wire in some kind of option to lower the output of the pickups that'll help too. Wiring in coil splits or the option to run a humbucker in parallel will help the amp clean up a lot better too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Epiphones actually have linear pots for their volume controls and fairly low output pickups and they do indeed seem to clean up very well, better than most guitars. So I'd say stick to that combination. Gibsons also use linear pots for the volume controls too, as it so happens. Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros were pretty much made precisely for using wih single channel amps and lots of use of the guitar's volume control. SD A2Ps and linear volume controls seem like the way to go.