Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, before I start, yes I did use the search bar but I didnt find anything useful to me. Recently I've been getting into some middle eastern influenced music(turkish, egyptian, persian) and I'd like to incorperate that into myplaying style as well. I know that in middle eastern music they use quarter notes and not half notes like western music does but thats not my question. Does anyone have a link to a site where I can get information on the techniques/composition of middle eastern music? I'm looking to have a bit of flavor in my music like Al de meola, or system of a down Thanks in advance!

Edit: yah yah I know about the Phygrian scales, the half-whole, and the melodic minor but how would you go about writing something like this?
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Last edited by zbest at Mar 26, 2011,
Phrygian dominant scale. learn it. listen to Nile. check Google and Wikipedia.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The best thing you can do is listen to as much authentic East-Indian music as you can. (By that, I mean not Nile or bands trying to get that sound band artists and groups that are very popular in that part of the country.)

The notes and scales are the easy part, you just have to learn them. The harder part is understanding the rhythms, the dynamics, timbres, and how they all work together. Always remember, the notes are only a small portion of everything that goes on in music.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
The harder part is understanding the rhythms, the dynamics, timbres, and how they all work together.

That's exactly my point the problem is that most of the music doesnt use guitar because its not built to support that kind of music :/
Quote by zbest
I'm looking to have a bit of flavor in my music like Al de meola,

you get like 5000000000000000000000000+ points for even knowing who that is.

and also

if you play in drop D its really not hard to come up with shit like that.

like play with

2nd,3rd,5th,7th,8th,10th, and12th frets all on the D string(not the drop D but the normal D string.) use the open D and A strings and diddle on the real D string and you should come up with some stuff to get you started.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by zbest
lol nile is waayy too intense for me, I meant something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQR3xydPqw

okay, so you are looking for more fusiony guitar based music with Middle Eastern influence? perhaps the album Good People in Times of Evil by Shawn Lane and Jonas Hellborg might be of interest? Steve Vai has done some heavily Middle Eastern things as well, but i can't think of a particular thing to recommend, other than maybe the Fire Garden Suite. also, something like this.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Shawn Lane and Jonas Hellborg has done a bunch of stuff incorporating Pakistani music into his own stuff. I'd suggest listening to a bunch of that. It's pretty good.
Make sure to include lots of explosions in the background for that really authentic Middle Eastern atmosphere.
Quote by zdh
Make sure to include lots of explosions in the background for that really authentic Middle Eastern atmosphere.

They use quarter tones over there. So some of their notes that make them "ethnic" won't even be available to you unless you use a fretless or quarter-tone fretted guitar.
Bass is my life.
Quote by Greenday389
They use quarter tones over there. So some of their notes that make them "ethnic" won't even be available to you unless you use a fretless or quarter-tone fretted guitar.

or a slide or a whammy bar
Quote by Vacuity
or a slide or a whammy bar

A slide would sound too bluesy for the most part and being accurate with a whammy bar would be a skill within its self.
Bass is my life.
A lot of the sound of that style of music is from the instrumentation. Yes, they do use different scales, it's not too hard to find them online. Sitar and similar music often uses the low strings as drone notes.

Listen to the style of music, know various chords and voicings (not just major/minor/diminished). Listen to some classical as well, the more you understand how chords/scales fit into each other the easier it'll be for you.
Last edited by Miniskirt at Mar 26, 2011,
Harmonic Minors, Melodic Minors and Phryigian scales.

Oud, Tabla and, to some extent, Sitar are the instruments you want to sound like.

The music you want to sound like:
אישה בונה, אישה הורסת (a classic song)

אלינור (a song by the king of Mizrahit)

צינגלה (a quite popular song)

הכל זה מלמעלה (a more modern approach)

שיר נחמה (best modern Mizrahit song, with a rockier feel)
Quote by Greenday389
A slide would sound too bluesy for the most part and being accurate with a whammy bar would be a skill within its self.

he could learn to whammy without a whammy bar. like... Slash, or Buckethead. quarter tones would be easy that way, plus that would save him like $20.
Secret Chiefs 3

I had written Spacemen 3 I always confuse those
█████████████████████████
Last edited by MuffinBrain at Mar 26, 2011,
wow guys a lot of great stuff, thanks and keep em coming =D
Quote by piratemetalhead
Terrorist

how is this relevant at all?

Quote by jimmyled
Ocean Land

How could I forget?!

you forgot like the only famous metal band from your country. good one.
Page 1 of 2