Here's the deal, we are a fairly new band (1 year), lately we've been getting played a lot on a local college radio. We got contacted from a booking agent/promoter asking us if we wanted to start playing some more shows around the 5 state area. Initially I asked him, "What kind of commissions do you make off a show?" He said "Generally 50% for starting bands." That being said, he does have a decent amount of larger venues to play at, which is exciting.

Granted we are a new band and only have very localized fame, is 50% of a show as crazy as I think? I thought booking agents got 10-15% on a high scale...
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
Talk to bands around your area in similar situations and see what theyre getting. They may be saying that anticipating youre going to negotiate it. It depends on the area and the kind of music (is it popular) how much they will take, but 50% seems very high.

If you want you could go to a competing agent and be like "Hey.. X (the agent that is interested in you) is offering to promote us, but I've seen your stuff and I like the bands you book and the places you get. If you'd promote us for 40% of revenue then we'd be game." And see if you can get lower than that from the other promoter, and let the negotiations begin.

Edit: I have to go now but if you have questions and such ill be back on tonight
10% - 15% is the thing it used to be in the 80's, it has dramatically increased since then.

50% is the usual I think, at least that's what it's in my area here. But if you don't want to make a fortune out f your music go for it, as good promotion is priceless.
50% may seem high, but, 50% of something is way better than 100% of nothing... And if he does a good promotion, it could lead you to bigger and better things!
How much money are you making per show?
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
i think its its a bit high...maybe if he was just promoting you and helped you a really lot but still seems high
We have no idea what we would be making per show. Maybe $200/show?? He said enough to cover gas and things like that. So I have a feeling we would be playing shows for pretty much free, but like some of you said...Maybe the promotion is worth it.

He also sends out contracts to all the venues we play, making sure we get paid no matter what.

Also, I hate using first impressions, but when we met up with him...He seemed like the kind of person who would possibly back-stab someone (metaphorically, of course!) which makes us hesitant with doing business with him. Luckily he said we can start off without signing a contract... which also may be a bad thing?... What do you think?
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
Sounds like a scam to me. What company does he work for? What other bands does he represent locally?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Unless this dude is setting up some REALLY legit shows, I wouldn't.
He represents at small list of artist, like 5 or 6. I actually have met one of the artists that work with him (I didn't like him very much either). I'm not going to say the name of the company for discretion reasons, but it's a very small operation.

I appreciate everyone input, thanks a ton! I think our band will be looking for someone a little more reasonable.

@Windwaker: How did you find your agent?
Quote by HellBent1337
He represents at small list of artist, like 5 or 6. I actually have met one of the artists that work with him (I didn't like him very much either).

Well ask the other artists;

1. Whether he represents them.

2. Whether they've enjoyed the arrangement so far.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
that seems really steep. I would definitely try to negotiate down and get the solid information of how much you would be getting payed for gigs. Maybe negotiate travel expenses into his take if he's taking that much.

If he sends out contracts to venues, does that means your guaranteed to get a certain amount regardless of how many people are there??? Or is it just a guarantee to make sure you get "something"??