So i just bought some GHS heavyweights (11-70) and i was wondering what tuning is adequate for those big of strings...thanks in advance
11 - ****ING 70?

dude man, 70 is for like...meshuggah shit. 70 only tuned to C would have rediculous tension, even in like, B standard a 70 is a bit much.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Bro. B Standard for that one.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Last edited by JonnyH at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by Tango616
11 - ****ING 70?

dude man, 70 is for like...meshuggah shit. 70 only tuned to C would have rediculous tension, even in like, B standard a 70 is a bit much.

Lee Malia from Bring Me The Horizon uses 12-80 for C standard, as long as your guitar is set up for it, I don't see why he can't do C standard and below.
Quote by KYmonster
So i just bought some GHS heavyweights (11-70) and i was wondering what tuning is adequate for those big of strings...thanks in advance

Lol, do you always buy strings and wonder what tuning you can use when you come home?

Just seems a bit weird to me.
drop d mate, i use 12's in drop c, standard d
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
scale length is a factor, what guitar are you using?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
the guitar im using is an Ibanez Stagestar (I know...make fun of me), i really dont know the scale or how to find out
Sure you CAN use it for higher tunings, but even set up well, those strings would be a bitch to bend, so much tension, i'd say Bb standard, rock some cannibal corpse or some meshuggah
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I use 12s or 13s in standard tuning (25' scale length as well), drop tunings are fun from time to time but you'll be a far more versatile guitarist if you stick to standard tuning.

Also its not hard to bend heavy gauge strings as long as you're using the right technique.
I played a slipkot song with a group of guys for a talent show and we were in drop A. I used strings that size and it was perfect.
My Gear:
-Schecter Omen w/ emg's
-Ibanez xpt700 Xiphos
-Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
-Raven 100w

Don’t take life too seriously, you won’t get out alive.